Automatic recording???

Panther

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've had my new SG9663DC for two days now, so I may be missing something here. Supposedly it has "Automatic Recording" (as below from the Users Manual). I have a 2017 Ford Focus RS. I have the three wire power option installed. The ACC power turns off when my car shuts down, and the +12 V is always there, and I have a good ground. Checked it with my Fluke meter and all the connections look good. I have not been able to get this camera to automatically power on when I start my car. I have to manually start it by pressing the power button. Then the REC light will flash and it will record. If I don't do this process it never starts recording. Let alone being able to use parking mode, it would be nice to just get the automatic start to work. What am I missing?

Automatic Recording
When you start your vehicle the DVR is automatically started and the
recording commences, the REC indicator on the screen will blink and
the REC light will flash to indicate recording status.

Make sure you're on firmware 1.33 and set Power Input to 3-wire in the settings menu. (new setting only shown in 1.33 or newer)

Yes, I downloaded and installed the 1.33 firmware and enabled the 3 wire power setting. It was one of the first things I did. I think I've read every thread here.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

can you check your cables, we've had a couple of hardwire kits now that were incorrectly labeled, make sure you have yellow to B+ and red to ACC, if they're the wrong way around it will behave like it is now, if it is then just unplug the connectors and swap them over to correct it

can you check your cables, we've had a couple of hardwire kits now that were incorrectly labeled, make sure you have yellow to B+ and red to ACC, if they're the wrong way around it will behave like it is now, if it is then just unplug the connectors and swap them over to correct it

Ah yes that has to be it.

071d90b895339a1d61f466b6a39ed8f4.jpg

Yep, the labels were incorrect. Red had a battery label, and yellow had an ACC label. Once I switched them it started automatically. Wonderful!

Sorry about that we checked our stock and don’t see any others with mixed labels. We’ll look into this though.

Yep, the labels were incorrect. Red had a battery label, and yellow had an ACC label. Once I switched them it started automatically. Wonderful!

thanks, you're only the second one of these we've come across, had it have been a week ago we probably wouldn't have known the answer for you

Many of the other 3-wire power supplies I've seen out there don't follow industry standards of Yellow being Battery and Red being Accessory for accessory after market products (they have it the other way around)
Street Guardian seems to be one of the few dashcam power supply companies that use the correct industry automotive 12V wire color codes.

Last edited:
With every car and truck I've worked with red is V+, black (or white with Japanese cars) is V-. No other colors are standardized. Sometimes red will be switched but it's always the main power feed. My experience ranges from 1938 Plymouth to mid 90's cars from Mercedes, Porsche, Jaguar, MG, Triumph, Peugeot, Renault, Volvo, Mack, Peterbilt, everything made in USA and Japan. Various motorcycles worldwide too from late 50's to mid 90's. Note that some cars and bikes had positive ground but red was still + and black was still -.

To conform with what car makers do, black should always be ground (-), red should be always main hot (+), and yellow (or any other color) has a different function. Pop the hood and grab the service manual on any car, and that is what you will see. Do it then tell us again what way it should be ;)

Look at any factory or aftermarket device meant for automotive use and you'll find that all use red for power input and black or white for ground. Not some, all. Maybe China does it differently- I have no experience there- but I do know what the rest of the world does and has been doing for 80 years. If there's a standard that's it- red should be always hot, other colors have alternate functions.

Phil

But not by car manufacturer standards regarding everything else. Go grab some service manuals and look- you'll see what I'm saying. And in older cars, even the radios were fed power by red wires. I don't have a lot of newer car audio experience here, but I do know the rest. Not only have I been doing my own car repairs for 45 years, I had some ASE certifications, was part owner of a very busy garage, worked as a mechanic in several other places, and spent a couple years working on Motorcycles as my second job (sometimes my primary one). Car and bike electrics aren't new to me at all. Go grab a few service manuals and see what's what.

Phil

The only experience I have with auto audio is installing a radio in my first car, it was red battery and yellow acc. Surprisingly the radio still works, the 8 track died years ago. I have it set up in my shop on a battery with a charger I flick on once in a while. As far as other aftermarket items, I still found red is battery and yellow was acc. The acc doesn't provide the power to the device, just a signal for it to change modes or turn on using the battery. So far SG is the first time I have seen the colors flipped. The person that installed the labels on this set of wires is probably use to what most have been doing for decades.

Running late for work, have a good day all.

Back