SG9663DCPRO: Parking mode not recording?

a_loser

Reaction score
Country
United States
Camera: SG9663DCPRO
Hardwire kit: Street Guardian SGDCHW SG9663DCPRO Hardwire Kit Complete with All Fuse Tap Sizes
Vehicle: 2017 Subaru Impreza

It appears the parking mode is not recording. When the vehicle is turned on, I can see through the Wifi/App that it is recording just fine. When I went to see if it was recording overnight, there were no recordings.

Troubleshooting:
- Camera is set to 3-wire mode.
- Camera boots up and turns on when the car is on.
- Camera is able to be turned on when the car is off/no key, by pressing the power button. (I assume this means it is getting power from the battery, so that is not the issue?).
- Turned sensor to high and parked on a busy street, still did not appear to be recording without the car being on.

Any ideas?

kamkar1

Reaction score
Country
Denmark
Dash Cam
10 years, many dashcams
I think if you connect to the camera with wifi after you parked your car, then you manually have to start it recording.
At least that's how it is in normal mode, connect with wifi and the camera stop recording, so once connected you have to start recording on the red button in the APP.

Or maybe it do this all the time no matter what ?

OP
A

a_loser

Reaction score
Country
United States
Right. I'm not trying to record while in the car, with the car off and connected to the camera by Wifi. I'm just connecting to it with Wifi to view the "old files".

Maybe I am misunderstanding how it works:

I thought that if it were properly wired, I would be able to enter the car after not driving it, and either through the Wifi feature or manually looking at the SD card, be able to view any "parking mode" footage it passively picked up when parked.

Edit: Also, thank you for taking the time to respond.

niko

Retailer
Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Dash Cam
Street Guardian UK / EU / EEA Distributor
Right after you turn off the car engine (and ACC is off) do you see the analogue clock icon at the top of the LCD screen?

OP
A

a_loser

Reaction score
Country
United States
Right after you turn off the car engine (and ACC is off) do you see the analogue clock icon at the top of the LCD screen?
Yes.

Though, when I attempted to adjust the Shutdown Timer with the vehicle off, I received a "Requires SGDCHW power lead" error message. With the vehicle on, I did not get the message and was able to change the setting. Unsure if this is important. I changed that setting from the default (I think it was 10 minutes?) to 12 hours. Perhaps the problem was there, I will check it again momentarily.

Street Guardian USA

Retailer
Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
StreetGuardian.CAM Amazon.com
You can't change parking mode options unless both ACC and BAT wires are energized (engine running) You'll get that message if you try to change the settings while manually turning the camera on with engine off.

It sounds like you're good, but here is a basic troubleshooting guide we send out when asked:

If you are experiencing power problems with your Hardwire Kit or parking mode is not recording while the vehicle is parked, please check the following.

1. Are both fuse taps attached, and have 2 fuses inserted into each? The fuse closest to the terminal is for the original fuse from your vehicle, the fuse toward the outside of the fuse tap, which lines up with the red wire is for the hardwire kit (Amber 5 Amp).

2. Do you have a good ground connection? It is essential that the fuse kit is earthed correctly for it to function.

3. Are the Red and Yellow wires correctly connected? Red should be to connected to switched accessory power source, yellow to permanent battery power source.

4. Ensure that the small red LED light on the Hardwire Kit is lighting up when connected.

5. If all power connections are correct and the Camera does not record when parked, check that you have enabled the 3-wire connection in the Camera menu, per the instructions in the manual, which can be found here - http://bit.ly/HardwireManualEN

OP
A

a_loser

Reaction score
Country
United States
You can't change parking mode options unless both ACC and BAT wires are energized (engine running) You'll get that message if you try to change the settings while manually turning the camera on with engine off.

It sounds like you're good, but here is a basic troubleshooting guide we send out when asked:

If you are experiencing power problems with your Hardwire Kit or parking mode is not recording while the vehicle is parked, please check the following.

1. Are both fuse taps attached, and have 2 fuses inserted into each? The fuse closest to the terminal is for the original fuse from your vehicle, the fuse toward the outside of the fuse tap, which lines up with the red wire is for the hardwire kit (Amber 5 Amp).

2. Do you have a good ground connection? It is essential that the fuse kit is earthed correctly for it to function.

3. Are the Red and Yellow wires correctly connected? Red should be to connected to switched accessory power source, yellow to permanent battery power source.

4. Ensure that the small red LED light on the Hardwire Kit is lighting up when connected.

5. If all power connections are correct and the Camera does not record when parked, check that you have enabled the 3-wire connection in the Camera menu, per the instructions in the manual, which can be found here - http://bit.ly/HardwireManualEN
Thank you. I had the feeling this would turn out to be a pebkac-type issue...

Findings for anyone else dumb like me: After adjusting the shutdown timer to 12 hours, it is recording when the car is off.

I am assuming that it was actually recording for ten minutes after the car was powered off during my "issue", and I was just unable to distinguish this when I was reviewing the video.

So basically, I'd park, turn off the car, and it would record for ten more minutes before shutting off. When reviewing the videos I just didn't notice I had turned off the car and it was still recording. So when viewing the videos, I would get those extra ten minutes, but I didn't see any "nighttime" stuff so assumed it wasn't working. Now that it's changed it is ostensibly recording for the new non-10 minute setting I put it at.

I hope this makes sense in case someone else has a similar "problem".

kamkar1

Reaction score
Country
Denmark
Dash Cam
10 years, many dashcams
I dont have a hard wire kit for my current SG products, so no knowledge base to share of, or hardware to try and simulate the issue.
The shut down timer in the camera should be able to work with a smaller number of hours if you dont need that much coverage, personally when i get to try the parking stuff i will just use a 1 - 2 hour shut off timer.

Whatever, lots of users in here and the company reps to do our best to keep your equipment going, and one more camera on the American roads to make sure the right people get to pay for their stupidity in traffic.

OP
A

a_loser

Reaction score
Country
United States
I dont have a hard wire kit for my current SG products, so no knowledge base to share of, or hardware to try and simulate the issue.
The shut down timer in the camera should be able to work with a smaller number of hours if you dont need that much coverage, personally when i get to try the parking stuff i will just use a 1 - 2 hour shut off timer.

Whatever, lots of users in here and the company reps to do our best to keep your equipment going, and one more camera on the American roads to make sure the right people get to pay for their stupidity in traffic.
I think I might adjust the frames/coverage as I go. I don't have a designated parking spot or driveway, so for now I'll probably opt for longer coverage.

Installing the front and rear cameras was fun in a masochistic kind of way. I'm not much of a car guy but it was good to learn even a little more about my car