Automatic start stop causes dashcam to turn off when the car starts.

RTO2222

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Aukey DR02D
Hi All,

I have a Hyundai i30 and an Aukey DR02D setup hardwired into the car taking a tap from the front power socket in the fuse box.

When the car stops and stops the engine, the dash cam continues to record as you would expect. However, the restarting of the engine causes the camera to turn off and then about 8 seconds later the camera restarts. For me this isn't great because when going through a junction the cameras are likely to be off.

Does anyone know what is causing this? I can only think that this is from a battery drop when the car restarts. More importantly, is there anything that anyone knows about stopping this from happening (and not the suggestion about turning off the stop start feature)?

Welcome to DCT @RTO2222 :)

This is a known issue for most 'stop-start' cars with dashcams. What is happening is that the cam senses low voltage when the car starter engages, and it thinks you've shut the car off intentionally so it either shuts down or goes into parking mode if you have that selected. Some cams like yours will restart when it senses 'car running' voltages but some remain shut down.

The simplest solution to this is to use a powerbank to run your dashcam. Not convenient, and may take a big powerbank if you drive long hours. Easiest to have two of them so one can charge at home while you use the other.

There are also systems like the "Cellink" which is a powerbank which wires into and charges in your car. Expensive, but probably your best solution. It may require some extra DIY work involving timer boards, relays, and soldering. If you're really handy electronically, you can DIY the whole system yourself.

Try some things before you go into those solutions. In your menu settings try it with parking modes on and off. If you're using a hardwire kit it may have selectable shut-off voltages; try changing those or use a ciggie-plug PS adapter instead.

Phil

Thanks for the reply Phil,

Yep, Cellink is an expensive solution.

One thing I didn't mention in the OP was that the camera will work as expected if powered by the USB adapter. Might have to work out a way of being able to use that (but hidden away),

Right, an update for all just incase someone else if having the same problem.

I've solved the problem (and not in an elegant way, but it works and is tidy).

Camera is still powered by a fuse tap, but instead of using a shop bought hardwire, I made my own with a female power socket soldered to the fuse tap wire and the usb power socket supplied with the camera. No issue with start stop when the car stops. Camera remains on and stays on until the ignition is turned off.

Back