B40 / A118 / AE-CC30 Mounted in your Car. ( Photos )

Too much sky in your vid. Turn the angle of the lens down so you only have 1/3 sky and 2/3 road/car. That will improve lighting and contrast and cut down on glare.

I will give it a shot. I just returned from a 1,500 mile road trip. The 5 minute loop look does not work/overwrite. I switched to the 3 min loop and it seems fine.

Thanks. I'm really going to have to find some black stuff.
Might be able to try some Black Dual Lock Tape
That would give it some good hold, blend in, and still make it easily mountable in other cars by just buying another strip and placing it in a second car.

Might be able to try some Black Dual Lock Tape
That would give it some good hold, blend in, and still make it easily mountable in other cars by just buying another strip and placing it in a second car.

i used some of that for my rear cam on my F70, which only weighs a few ounces. after about 8-9 months in the texas heat, the adhesive between the glass and the dual-lock crystalized and let the camera fall, with both pieces of dual lock still attached to the camera. the dual lock itself is great, but apparently the adhesive isn't so great when it comes to heat.

considering that my rear cam isn't that great to begin with, i think i'll just leave it in the glovebox and just use the forward-facing camera, which is held to the windshield by 3m tape on the flat pad mount a lot like the one for the a118.

I've been considering mounting a second camera (maybe a Mobius) in the back seat area of the car. The camera would point forward and capture the rear view mirror view (in case I get rear-ended) and also act as a backup for my forward-facing A118.

no camera, especially one with a wide angle lens, will get a usable picture thru the rearview mirror. besides - if it did, it would get a picture of the driver, not out the back window. try it using a still camera about where the mobius would be mounted and you'll see what i mean.

Got mine in today, using it for my rear cam.

ky9Qxu5m.jpg
1zEIp69m.jpg

From outside:
4BXvfpwm.jpg

interesting mount in the back of the mini. i would expect it to shake mounted to the head liner like that, since it's padded fabric. how do your videos look so far?

i just installed one of these in my wife's 2008 Toyota Sienna minivan. having some issues with it actually sticking to the dots above/behind the rearview, but that's pretty minor at this point.

inside pic is all i have for now, but it shows that the wire cover is a perfect fit here. with the mirror in the normal position, you can just barely see the three status lights over the top edge of the mirror.

no, those are not stars you can see out the windshield - it's either dirt or tiny rock chips catching the camera flash. i WISH i could see anywhere near that amount of stars at night, but i live too close to the city of Houston and all its light pollution to see much of anything besides the moon and some mag 4-5 stars and planets, and occasionally the ISS.

IMG_20140716_205017.jpg

interesting mount in the back of the mini. i would expect it to shake mounted to the head liner like that, since it's padded fabric. how do your videos look so far?

It actually seems to cushion some of the bumpiness. You can kind of see the window heater lines move, nothing really noticeable.

I was just using some cheap double-sided tape, and I forgot to let it sit after attaching, so it fell off after I was done. I'm waiting for some extra-strength stuff from Amazon.

waiting for some extra-strength stuff from Amazon.
I've been using dual lock. You can get it at a local Wal-Mart for about half of what the Amazon price is for the same package.

Looks good as a rear camera hiding at the top.

not bad. i sometimes "mount" the rear cam for my f70 using the hook side of the velcro by simply pressing it into the headliner. i wouldn't expect it to stay very long that way though. i've never left it more than a few hours, and that cam is way lighter than the a118 since it's literally just a cam, no dvr.

they make these little clear-headed screws that look like a short spring, meant to hold up a falling head liner. maybe you could use 3-4 of those together with some thread to make a sort of net to hold it up on the headliner very securely. then when it's time to sell the car, it won't leave any marks or sticky residue. and heat wont be a factor.

It actually seems to cushion some of the bumpiness. You can kind of see the window heater lines move, nothing really noticeable.

I was just using some cheap double-sided tape, and I forgot to let it sit after attaching, so it fell off after I was done. I'm waiting for some extra-strength stuff from Amazon.

HEY YOUR DRIVING BACKWARDS :)

B40 / A118 / AE-CC30 dashcam design looks quite compact and discrete.

Below you may see how it looks in my car ( VW Passat B6 ), + vs. other popular dashcams ( Mobius and Panorama )

Please share photos of B40 / A118 / AE-CC30 mounted in your car for other people to see how it will look like. Also please add your car make / model into the post for reference.

View attachment 5473

I notice from the pics that you have mounted the cam to the dotted section on the windscreen, is it okay to mount in this area? as it seems like the perfect place to put the A118/B40..
I only ask as I remember reading or being told by someone that the dotted section shouldn't be obstructed... Cheers

not sure what you were told but no issue mounting it there

I recently got the new Golf MK7 and am almost sure it was the dealer when I mentioned I was gonna get a dash cam..... I will mount it there as it the most obvious place to put it so its out of site, especially as I plan to leave it in the car full time... Cheers

finally got over my laziness and clicked some pics of the A118 / B40 I installed in my Ford EcoSport ...

1. Driver Side View
DriverSideView.jpg

2. Passenger Side View
PassengerSideView.jpg

3. Close Up (Front)
Close-Up5.jpg

4. Close Up (Side)
Close-Up4.jpg

5. Close Up (Another Angle)
Close-Up1.jpg

6. From Outside
OutsideViewClose-Up.jpg

7. Passenger Side Power Supply Connection
(I used a unit from Tom Tom GPS. It has two 5v USB Sockets (not visible in pic) and a 'daisy-chained'? spare 12V socket)
PowerSupply.jpg

8. Lastly, I thought this would be useful to share - the USB Cable I used (Flat type - goes in easily into tight places and helps in keeping visible cable clutter to an absolute minimum)
MiniInlineUSBCable.jpg

"I only ask as I remember reading or being told by someone that the dotted section shouldn't be obstructed... Cheers"

The dotted mesh is simply a sunscreen for an area where the fold down sunscreens don't reach.

"I only ask as I remember reading or being told by someone that the dotted section shouldn't be obstructed... Cheers"

The dotted mesh is simply a sunscreen for an area where the fold down sunscreens don't reach.

Who told you so and what was his explanations on not doing this ?

Who told you so and what was his explanations on not doing this ?

I contacted VW this morning and asked why I was given this information, This was the reply

"Insulating glass windscreens have a coating which reflects infrared radiation. There is a non-coated area above the interior mirror (communication window) which ensures that electronic accessories, for example remote controls, can function properly.

The uncoated area should not be covered either from the outside or the inside, nor should any stickers be applied to this area as this could cause a fault in the electronic components, causing damage to this area could effect warranty repairs if the communication window is damaged"

Back