B40 / A118 / AE-CC30 Mounted in your Car. ( Photos )

VW seem to take the view that if you fart in the car the warranty is void! I had an alloy shear clean in two at 50mph nearly killing my family and they didn't want to know as it was a wear and tear item even though they don't have a replacement schedule!

The dots seem to be sandwiched in glass in my car anyway, everything so far has stuck there, although I am blocking the sensor in the rear view mirror it doesn't seem to have affected the operation of anything to date.

Hope No one was hurt!!!

Yeah have noticed that the dots don't seem to be Stuck on the Glass but more embedded inside it...

I honestly can't think of what sort of communication, via remote control etc, would be required through that section of windscreen... I have distance radar sensors etc but I'm sure they are in the front bumper/grill area...
I'm defo gonna place the cam in the dotted area, as the dots are not actually on glass I can't cause any harm so how could it do damage etc, if something stops working that I need I'll simply remove it..

Maybe those garage door sensors or parking / toll permits etc - we don't tend to get many of those in the UK that I've seen.

My VW does have a random problem where it throws an internal fault code of the rain sensor if the automatic wipers are on and you go through a dark tunnel - it causes the sensor to reboot :)

@ Remote control they mean some luxury cars have IR or Radio vawe garage doors opening sensor.

Dotted area in my car is outside. I even managed to scrape one "dott" away after 100ds of mount / dismount of 3M brackets.

Camera and Tag 2.jpg Camera and Tag.jpg

This is mine mounted in a Mustang. I had to mount it on the right side of the mirror because of clearance issues for me. I mounted it on the dots after using a dry kitchen pad and 91% isopropyl alcohol. I used an add-a-fuse and add-on accessory port under the passenger kick panel.You can also judge its size between the ginormous North Texas Tollway Authority sticker and hanging employee parking tag! The gray 3M tape really shows and needs to be replaced. I mounted the camera a little crooked and now movies are slanted.

mounted in my 2010 Jeep Wrangler

OK2SPQR.jpg

How it looks regularly. I have the rearview mirror turned upside down and raised up high. It allws me to see out of the back window easier.

ehy7HWl.jpg

3f3F97V.jpg

H0vDJBe.jpg

RNhZmxq.jpg

the rearview mirror in this shot is pulled down so you can better see the camera mounted

mounted in my 2010 Jeep Wrangler
AHH now your little rotating mount thread makes a lot more sense (and my suggestion for a hinge now seems pretty dumb), since the camera isn't mounted on the glass. i'm used to older jeeps where there isn't much of a windshield header to put anything on. that's actually a great way to mount it.

AHH now your little rotating mount thread makes a lot more sense (and my suggestion for a hinge now seems pretty dumb), since the camera isn't mounted on the glass. i'm used to older jeeps where there isn't much of a windshield header to put anything on. that's actually a great way to mount it.

About that... I came up with a rudimentary design using magnets, two panels, and a small bolt. Basically it is two small panels with three magnets each sandwiching the panels with a bolt in the middle so the panels can be turned smoothly. Otherwise the magnets pull at each other and there is no easy turning. Here is a really poorly made video to loosely demonstrate it.

http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=10oo7ph>&s=8#.U-zwMeNdWSp

I used two mint tins . The bigger one represents the roof of the vehicle where it would be mounted. The smaller tin represents the camera. The black dots represent where the magnets are (behind the panels).

There is one flaw, though. At a certain point in the turning... the magnets tend to lose their hold and if one is not careful the panels separate. I guess adding a nut to the bolt would keep them together. The camera's stock mount would then have to be used on the bottom panel and the camera could be removed the normal way instead of separating the magnet panels.

don't forget to leave enough slack in the power cord for it to pivot. that might be the most annoying part of your design since it will necessarily mean there's some slack in the wire, which may hang down, esp on hot days when the wire softens up.

edit: speleng iz hrd

don't forget to leave enough slack in the power cord for it to pivot. that might be the most annoying part of your design since it will necessarily mean there's some slack in the wire, which may hang down, esp on hot days when the wire softens up.

edit: speleng iz hrd

Also... the camera will have to be further back from the windshield as the camera's corner will bump the windshield as it turns. The way I have the camera mounted now (seen in the earlier pics) ... the lens is almost touching the windshield. As of yet I am not sure how this will affect the camera's view if it sits further back.

About a week ago I half-assedly mounted the camera with the crude magnetic turning mechanism to see if the view when turned got a shot of the driver's sisde window. I was pleasantly surprised that it did.

I'd still rather much have a very slim ratcheting plastic turning mechanism than the magnetic one.

Last edited:
Also... the camera will have to be further back from the windshield as the camera's corner will bump the windshield as it turns. The way I have the camera mounted now (seen in the earlier pics) ... the lens is almost touching the windshield. As of yet I am not sure how this will affect the camera's view if it sits further back.

About a week ago I half-assedly mounted the camera with the crude magnetic turning mechanism to see if the view when turned got a shot of the driver's sisde window. I was pleasantly surprised that it did.

I'd still rather much have a very slim ratcheting plastic turning mechanism than the magnetic one.
moving it further back from the glass could introduce some glare/reflections but still nowhere near what most of us deal with since your windshield is so short and vertical compared to almost everything else (except maybe the fj cruiser). :)

So I like this camera, but want the freedom to move it between 2 vehicles if I want. Are there any universal suction cup mounts out there that aren't too bulky? Any other methods anyone has used to be able to move between vehicles. Yes I know I'll have to have a separate power adapter. Thanks!

if you'll always be moving it between the same two cars, you might ask your vendor if you can buy a second windshield mount piece, and power adapter.

It's not something I'll need often, or I'd just get 2 cameras, but I'd just like the freedom to do it with ease. Obviously if it costs too much to get extra pieces to have this freedom, it just makes sense to get a 2nd camera. Just curious if I could avoid that. Adhesive mounting just locks you in--no freedom.

Back