Bad Luck.. What to Buy..

NickBlaine

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello,

Pretty new to dash cams - have been tossing around the idea for about a year, and reading here and there.

The last few months have really pushed me to get one. I was involved in a hit and run in February, then in the last month, my rear and front bumper have both been hit in the parking garage at work. I am beyond frustrated, and would like to get a dual channel to keep an eye on things.

Ideally what I am looking for is something that has parking mode, front and rear camera, with enough detail to get license plate numbers. Would like to stay under $500, but would consider spending more if needed.

I was looking at the Panorama X2, but wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything that would fit my needs better.

Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions.

Edit: This will be going into a BMW 335

Last edited:
Would like to stay under $500, but would consider spending more if needed.

I was looking at the Panorama X2, but wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything that would fit my needs better.

Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions.

X2 has very good picture quality day/night and pre-buffered motion detection and battery discharge prevention is built in. Be sure to use Lexar 633x cards for best long term results.

Last edited:
Also, you have to add battery management/protection system so dashcam doesn't drain car's battery.
Or a 2ndary battery.

On the description of the Panorama X2, it states:
"Built in car battery voltage discharge prevention device, which identifies battery voltage value and automatic power-off unit if car battery voltage drops below certain value to ensure sufficient voltage to start the car."

Would that not suffice?

On the description of the Panorama X2, it states:
"Built in car battery voltage discharge prevention device, which identifies battery voltage value and automatic power-off unit if car battery voltage drops below certain value to ensure sufficient voltage to start the car."

Would that not suffice?
No, that won't be enough for long term parking.
It's enough for few hours depending upon how charged up is your car's battery.
Maybe @Pier28 has some data on how long it works on battery until the voltage drops.

Let's say you rely on that and after few hours, it detects low voltage and stops recording.
What if it's bad luck that something happens after that?
Anything that happens after that won't be recorded.

The Zoran CPU has the lowest power consumption around. There are actually two inside to achieve the dual channel. I'm not aware of the X2 not lasting long enough unless you have a very tiny car/battery. Seems fine on a standard car with at least an average sized car battery.

Last edited by a moderator:
I drive the car every day. About 30-40 minutes to work, sits for 8.5 hours, then an hour or so home. I think recording for an hour or so of me parking should be good, as the garage fills up by 9AM, and not much in and out.

I have my X2 parking mode set for 18 hours now the weather has warmed up and have had no issues like that at all - I've got voltage control totally turned off.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
7 What Should I Buy? 1
Back