Battery Drain and Parking Mode Questions

JacksonB

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I've spent a significant amount of time searching and reading manuals and these forums and I'm having a hard time determining what the best configuration/setup for my equipment should be.

I have a A119S w/ GPS. Hardwired into my vehicle with this kit. The hardware kit was professionally installed as that isn't my thing but I've updated the firmware to 4.0 as available on the Viofo site and configured the camera to my liking using the included manual.

The manual I received with the units and on the website doesn't make any mention of parking mode. Initially when I set it up I disabled it as I didn't want to worry about battery drain when the vehicle isn't on and assumed this is what I was asking for. I found out later that I was getting full 1080p 30fps recordings while the vehicle was off and parked.

I expected that the hardware kit I purchased would've shut off power when the vehicle was turned off but this doesn't seem to be the case. My concern with Parking Mode as described in other threads is that there is significant movement in front of my vehicle while it is parked facing the front of a condo building with lots of foot traffic and vehicle traffic.

I'm not opposed to going back to the installer and getting the wiring changed but I'd obviously like to avoid additional cost.

Thanks anyone for any guidance you can provide.

If you want the camera to turn off when the car is off, you will need to have the hardwire kit connected to a fuse that shuts off when the car does (accessory fuse). Very easy to do yourself.

If you want the camera to turn off when the car is off, you will need to have the hardwire kit connected to a fuse that shuts off when the car does (accessory fuse). Very easy to do yourself.
Thanks for the reply. I'll spend some time seeing how to move the connection to a different fuse.

But from the sounds of it, my assessment of the Parking Mode settings and feature is accurate? I'm guessing the low FPS recording mode drain is less than full recording but still significant since the camera is doing motion detection anyways.

If the car is a daily driver and you drive enough to keep the battery charged up, then I don't think worry too much about the battery draining. If the car sits for multiple days often, then I would worry. If you have no use for the parking mode feature, then definitely find an accessory fuse or try to remember to shut the camera down manually.

Thanks for the reply. I'll spend some time seeing how to move the connection to a different fuse.

But from the sounds of it, my assessment of the Parking Mode settings and feature is accurate? I'm guessing the low FPS recording mode drain is less than full recording but still significant since the camera is doing motion detection anyways.
Parking Mode is a very popular feature on vehicles driven often with new full size vehicle batteries with more than 450 cold cranking Amps. The A119S works very well selecting Parking Time Lapse 5fps Mode since it enters low power Standby Mode using only 0.18 Amps when no visual or impact events occur. The A119S uses the least power of all Viofo dashcams.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G A119S 13
D A119S 9
Back