How does the A119s remember the time if there isn't a battery

djxpress

Reaction score
Country
United States
My dashcam isn't hard wired, only plugged in to the accessory port. How does the cam remember the date and time if there isn't a battery, only a capacitor?

I noticed mine accidentally came out of the accessory socket of my car, and wasn't turned on for several days. The clock and date had to be reset. Is this normal?

I noticed mine accidentally came out of the accessory socket of my car, and wasn't turned on for several days. The clock and date had to be reset. Is this normal?

not normal but if it hadn't had much use the battery may have been low to begin with

Doesn't the A119S use a capacitor instead of a battery? The capacitor may have discharged with an extended period of being unplugged.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Doesn't the A119S use a capacitor instead of a battery? The capacitor may have discharged with an extended period of being unplugged.

capacitor is for saving the last file, the battery is a tiny button cell on the mainboard which only keeps the clock running

Thanks jokiin, learned something new. I just remembered reading about a capacitor.
Thanks for the correct info [emoji106]

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Here's a question: does the A119S allow for Daylight Saving Time? Here in the Northeast US we turned our clocks ahead last weekend. I set the time n the A119S and selected -5 as the time zone, but the time falls an hour behind, even after setting it twice. Do I need to change the time zone to -4? I would think that the time would come from the GPS module, but maybe not?

...Do I need to change the time zone to -4? I would think that the time would come from the GPS module, but maybe not?
That's what you have to do - change the time zone. Time does come from the GPS but it's GMT time, camera does the 'conversion' to local time internally based on the time zone setting.

That's what you have to do - change the time zone. Time does come from the GPS but it's GMT time, camera does the 'conversion' to local time internally based on the time zone setting.

Ahh.. ok, makes sense then. Thanks for the reply... :)

Back