Battery

4 hours is a ridiculously long time for a 120mAh lipo

I agree, it's about percentages of charge, if it had a larger battery a 10% charge could do a lot more with a small amount of available power, get 10% charge in this small battery and it's next to useless, the charge circuit design will only allow 25% charge per hour, keep doing short commutes and it quickly becomes an issue

Yes it should charge at 1C (some lipos allow 2 or even 3C). That is bad design if it is only charging at .25C. Because once lipos go below 80℅, they are irreversibly damaged.

Is the flat battery icon depicting the lipo at 80℅ of its capacity @jokiin?

Is the flat battery icon depicting the lipo at 80℅ of its capacity @jokiin?

I'm not sure that it is an accurate indicator as such, the battery doesn't last very long at all regardless of how much charge is in it, for someone that drives long distances this may never come up as an issue, if you do a lot of short commutes it's probably not going to work out, if your drives are too short it gets to the stage where it doesn't get enough charge to do a clean shutdown, YMMV

I see people complaining about the annoying shutdown music that possibly haven't twigged that this music is actually the low battery warrning

I was more asking if the battery is allowed to go below 80% charge capacity or does the charging circuit prevent this, what is the low voltage cutoff?

Because once a lipo goes below 80% of it's capacity they tend to degrade very quickly (lose charge cycles) and eventually not recover.

Yes, I silenced the sound in the firmware, but I thought that the sound was used for the countdown. It does sound like a warning tone.

Do you know the operating current draw?

I was more asking if the battery is allowed to go below 80% charge capacity or does the charging circuit prevent this, what is the low voltage cutoff?
from memory it is designed correctly in that it won't allow the battery to drain below what it should, that bit they got right

don't know the current draw off hand, we were doing this model, did a stack of firmware changes etc but could not work around the hardware limitations so at that point decided to not go any further with it until the power related issues are sorted

The problem is that on a long journey with GPS battery is completely discharged:eek: and the last 5 minutes the file can not be saved. I will have to check when the next long trip.
update
I found the reason for the lack of proper battery charging. I have used the power supply of the my previous camera, it has too little power. After connecting the original 5V adapter from CDV300X, everything is ok.

any news? as per the 25% per hour should I just keep plugging it in for an hour? to get full battery
thanks

If a full battery is important to you then yes. I've found running the Cambox firmware keeps the charge just enough to save the file on power down. I think this is the same on the TCL version as well, but Cambox is definitely more stable wrt power.

Look in the thread 'CDV Series Firmware' and look for one of my posts on Page 2, I mention it there as well as the download link.

Back