Best dual cam system?

powersteer

Reaction score
Country
Singapore
Dear all,

I'm looking for a compact dual cam system, what do you recommend?
In order of importance:

1. Reliability (meaning MUST use capacitor)
2. Video quality (bonus points given to models that uses better compression like H.265)
3. Compact - i do not like models with LCD facing the driver. Small cigar shaped ones without screen are better. Don't mind if the screen can be turned off permanently.
4. Must have a button to format the SDcard
5. Must not make too much noise, just a beep or 2 to indicate it's working like my current ITB-100HD is good enough
6. One touch button to lock file if an incident occurs
7. Wifi and good app for instant view on iphone
8. I don't mind settle for 2 x single camera if there is no suitable dual-cam system

I don't need (in fact I dislike) cameras that try to be too smart. Eg: collision avoidance, lane deviation ... etc

Last edited:
I've been using the momento M6 and it's been great so far.

It uses H.264 and card needs to be formatted from either the app or a computer.

Otherwise, it'll achieve everything you're looking for

My First post. My needs are the same as Powersteer. I hope there are more responses soon. This is the first I have heard of the Momento M6. I use Apple products and the Momento M6 is not compatible with the iPhone according to a quick Google search.

Welcome to all new comers to the forum.

1: Yes thats a must.
2: H265 dont automatic mean better image quality, but some have this option, and in some cases as a hidden feature.
3: I personally prefer a "tall" wedge shaped camera over a "wide" barrel shaped camera, my reason is, the wedge camera most of it is on the dotted area so in essence only the bottom 1/3 with the lens are visible.
A barrel camera you have to install so all / most of it is visible below the dotted area and so less stealthy.
LCD screen ofen come on but can be set to turn off in 10 seconds or so, no one should have LCD on while driving, it might actually be illegal to do in some places.
The pretense of a LCD dont really dictate the size of a system, i still prefer LCD cameras though i will use wifi and phone to do settings if i can as i always forget my reading glasses and camera screens are so small.
4: I cant think of a camera that have a dedicated format memory card button, it is normally a function in the menu.
5: Most cameras just have a startup and stop chime, often this can also be disabled partly or totally, but yes some cameras talk too much.
6: Most cameras have a manual event button.
7: Wifi are becoming more and more normal in dashcams, i like this too for doing settings as my tired old eyes can better read a larger phone screen. Otherwise i dont use wifi in dashcams or elsewhere.
8: Single cameras are still a option, but when you for years have had to go to several cameras to retrieve memory cards you cant get a proper dual channel camera fast enough.

You should not expect gopro video quality, dashcams are accident recorders in a harsh environment so can not run too high bitrates, if you have too high expectations any dashcam will be a let down to you.
If you focus on the cameras ability to log your own driving then just about any dashcam will work 100%, if you focus on little details like plate capture, i foresee you are going to be pulling hair out of your head soon.
Most dashcams can do it some times, but it is a perk of having a dashcam but plate capture is not something you should rely on as a fact.

Watch out for poser 4K cameras, these are often a 1440p sensor extrapolating 4K footage, there are a few 4K systems and more on the way, generally really nice for daytime footage, but not top performers in low light ( though not useless by any means still log your driving 100 % )

Thank you Kamar, your response is very much appreciated. I am thinking the Blackvue Dr900x 2 ch or the Street Guardian SG9663DCPRO+ 2021.

Thats 2 different systems, the blackvue are a smart system, SG cameras are just plain system with wifi to do settings and maybe DL a file now and then to the phone.
If you go for the SG camera make sure to register online for that extra year of warranty.

Be sure to get some user feedback on both before you pull the trigger ( both models have their own sub forums in here ) and ask away, no stupid questions only some that get asked a lot but which we will still help with using a wall of text or maybe links to older posts.

I always smile when someone asks for "best" anything because there is none; there's only what's best for their purposes which are usually not stated with the question. Of the 'fancy' dashcams it seems like Blackvue is on top of the stack right now with their DR900X. Still not perfect but they've got nearly everything working quite well in comparison to their usual competition. And Street Guardian is never a bad choice, a thoroughly developed product that doesn't turn it's buyers into unsuspecting beta-testers- something that happens a lot with other cams. Their dual;-remote system should do what you want without fanfare or problem which is about all you can really ask of a dashcam anyway. Some other decent or better dual-cams out there but if you've already narrowed the choices down to these those others probably wouldn't make you as happy so no point in mentioning them.

Phil

Phil, I have not narrowed the field down. What is better than Street Guardian? I will start a new thread. I did not mean to hijack powersteer's thread.

Thank you Nigel. I read that early on. I joined this forum a day or so ago and this thread was my first post. I am searching other related threads and may start my own so as to not mess with powersteer's inquiry.

Well in terms of service and openness no one come close to Street guardian, with whom i am affiliated.
You can pretty much always catch the company boss jokiin on here, you dont really get that with other brands.
I dont think as of right now SG are in a category all of their own in regard to image quality, but they have been working on IQ updates for a while and also promised a range wide update to image quality, which also look very interesting.
But the update itself have not yet filtered out as i understand it.

SG are still small, and the virus thing threw a spanner in the works for them too, so that is what it is.

My First post. My needs are the same as Powersteer. I hope there are more responses soon. This is the first I have heard of the Momento M6. I use Apple products and the Momento M6 is not compatible with the iPhone according to a quick Google search.
Interesting. I use my iPhone 13 to connect to my dashcam when needed.

Back