Best options in the 200-400 USD range

hometechnc said:
Someone else mentioned waiting for the new Jokiin Cams (?) I've seen video from the A2S60, and it's not impressive, at all.

What I was referring to was upcoming dash cams based on this: http://www.ambarella.com/news/34/74/Amb ... tions.html
Jokiin in a manufacturer posting on this board, his line of new cams will be based on this new processor, as will others. It has nothing to do with his previous A2560 cams.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gurkha9 said:
hometechnc said:
Someone else mentioned waiting for the new Jokiin Cams (?) I've seen video from the A2S60, and it's not impressive, at all.

What I was referring to was upcoming dash cams based on this: http://www.ambarella.com/news/34/74/Amb ... tions.html
Jokiin in a manufacturer posting on this board, his line of new cams will be based on this new processor, as will others. It has nothing to do with his previous A2560 cams.

Upcoming Dash Cams ? This is all vague speculation; quite similar to all the marketing hype put out by all the others. Show me the Money...or at least, show me the Video!

niko said:
hometechnc said:
Do Not understand why Hillbilly would post, if nothing comes to mind.

I am still researching dash cams after a serious bout of Buyer's Remorse, having spent $900 on two FineVu CR-500HD's (w'gps/filters).

Now take a look at the Video capture from the Vacron CDR E-22, 1080P @30fps/720p @60fps, ($285): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0Z6YSFKeeY
The video from the Varon is comparable to my Sony HDR-CX560 camcorder (and a darn fine one at that), recording at 1080P 60fps on my dashboard.

Which brings to mind, I have purchased a heavy-duty, low-profile mount, and plan on mounting the Sony camcorder on my dash. I bought the Sony, used off of Ebay
for less than what I paid for one of the FineVu units. Getting tired of waiting, and waiting for a Great Dashcam!

Jokiin A2S60 was previous project. New project is different.
Vacron brand sells well in Russia with good feedback and it has interesting features, which most dash cam users dont need ( LDSW / "Strelka" - radar detectors via GPS ) and all this puts price up.
12 layer lenses is something unique I havnt seen in any other dash cams, but it's means nothing if other components are not in balance.
Youtube video is not a "proof". Youtube is not the best place to judge videos. Need to see RAW video files from 4 different timings: sunny day, evening, night street lights, pitch dark. Then can be made some conclusions, but even then it will be not final judgement, because it need to put two competitor / rivals dash cameras side by side, record video in same light conditions and only then is fair final conclusion.

Great, give me a link to a place where we can all see these Raw Videos...

hometechnc said:
Upcoming Dash Cams ? This is all vague speculation; quite similar to all the marketing hype put out by all the others. Show me the Money...or at least, show me the Video!

Yeah you're right all vague speculation, sorry for the suggestion.
In the meantime, perhaps your demanding needs will be satisfied by this: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/product ... ncamera4k/
Beats any GoPro. Should go well with your 4K TV. Good luck mounting it in your vehicle. Oh but wait, you already have a "heavy-duty, low-profile mount", you'll be fine then.

Vacron CDR E-22 has great quality videos but it's too big. My first priority is stealthy compact'ish size to blend in behind the rear view mirror. I'm leaning towards the new DOD WDR w/GPS (knock off version) or seeing what Jokiin comes out with. I've waited this long might as wait a bit longer. I'm also thinking about getting the pioneer appradio 3 so I can time the install for both tear aparts/installation for all power/video/mic/gps wires.

hometechnc said:
niko said:
hometechnc said:
Do Not understand why Hillbilly would post, if nothing comes to mind.

I am still researching dash cams after a serious bout of Buyer's Remorse, having spent $900 on two FineVu CR-500HD's (w'gps/filters).

Now take a look at the Video capture from the Vacron CDR E-22, 1080P @30fps/720p @60fps, ($285): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0Z6YSFKeeY
The video from the Varon is comparable to my Sony HDR-CX560 camcorder (and a darn fine one at that), recording at 1080P 60fps on my dashboard.

Which brings to mind, I have purchased a heavy-duty, low-profile mount, and plan on mounting the Sony camcorder on my dash. I bought the Sony, used off of Ebay
for less than what I paid for one of the FineVu units. Getting tired of waiting, and waiting for a Great Dashcam!

Jokiin A2S60 was previous project. New project is different.
Vacron brand sells well in Russia with good feedback and it has interesting features, which most dash cam users dont need ( LDSW / "Strelka" - radar detectors via GPS ) and all this puts price up.
12 layer lenses is something unique I havnt seen in any other dash cams, but it's means nothing if other components are not in balance.
Youtube video is not a "proof". Youtube is not the best place to judge videos. Need to see RAW video files from 4 different timings: sunny day, evening, night street lights, pitch dark. Then can be made some conclusions, but even then it will be not final judgement, because it need to put two competitor / rivals dash cameras side by side, record video in same light conditions and only then is fair final conclusion.

Great, give me a link to a place where we can all see these Raw Videos...

I was hoping you give us a RAW video files to prove what you said: " The video from the Varon is comparable to my Sony HDR-CX560 camcorder "
Thats why I replayed explaining that it is wrong to judge and make conclusions by watching youtube videos. The only true youtube video comparison would be if somebody post side by side made video, like I did with few dash cams.
See video samples below. Similar way would be fair to judge any other two dash cameras using videos uploaded to youtube. Other that that youtube is not place for full / true comparison. Hope you know what I mean.

i confess i am curious to see a LS300W vs GT550W/GT300W video.

GeorgesNJR said:
i confess i am curious to see a LS300W vs GT550W/GT300W video.

As we all know: LS300W is same as GT300W, so there will be not much difference.
I have even tested LS300W side by side with GT350W and GT450W and the final result was the same. Also GT550W is from same "family", so It should be all the same.As somebody said before: without GPS, the GT550W is same as LS300W, the only difference is in design. This is for people who are board of typical LS300W design ( front fascia ) and want something different, I guess.

jokiin said:
niko said:
I'll be looking for some people to trial different product as we get closer to help speed the development, firmware is important to us and we spend a lot of time refining it already, a lot of what we've continued to do in our last product has been based on developing our platform for the new product, we'll have some even better options coming up though due to developments in hardware and improvements in the SDK's we're working with now, there's some really interesting things we'll be able to do, particularly in the A7 based product

When you're ready or or get to a point you need some testers I'd be more than willing if you're interested. I consider myself fairly technical, and have worked on a few other Beta projects in the automotive electronics arena. Either way I'll be keeping my eyes open for these cameras. sounds very promising.

Back