Best Resolution Setting for Garmin Dashcam 55

Jess Lorenzo

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Just got my replacement DC55 and so far I am happy with it.
I have a parking cable installed but the parking mode off.

Can I get feedback on best cam resolution setting vs light sensitivity vs recording length?
Does the HDR mode really help? What is the drawback of using HDR?

Is setting lower resolution really improve memory card life?

Thanks

Just picked up my DS55 with the Garmin Polarized Lens Cover and Parking Mode (hardwire kit) Cable. Currently have it set at the highest resolution (1440p - 30fps).... However, is the lower resolution settings of "1080p-60fps" or "1080p-30fpsHDR" better all around, especially since I will be running with the polarized lens at all times?

Just picked up my DS55 with the Garmin Polarized Lens Cover and Parking Mode (hardwire kit) Cable. Currently have it set at the highest resolution (1440p - 30fps).... However, is the lower resolution settings of "1080p-60fps" or "1080p-30fpsHDR" better all around, especially since I will be running with the polarized lens at all times?

HDR is for if you are getting areas that are too dark or too bright in the video. For example if you mount the dashcam to your headrest (which I've done before) the view out the windows gets too bright since the dark interior is affecting how the camera sets exposure.

I wouldn't use the polarizer at night, it will block a lot of light and slow down the exposure to to where motion is blurred

Thanks Jack and laci. I wasn't planning on taking on and off the polarized lens cover - that's why I asked about which setting...... right now the daytime videos are really sharp at 1440 - but a bit dull at night because of the lens cover.....

I think I'll mess around with the "brightness" setting first at 1440 to see if i can brighten it enough for nighttime - without washing is out during the daytime. My other alternative is to go to another setting altogether.... maybe HDR if I'm not happy with the nighttime results while running the polarizer...

I find the videos are fine with the polarizer on all the time, but I admit I don't often drive at night. When I have looked at nighttime videos they seemed ok to me - at least for the purpose of seeing what happened in front of me should there be a problem. I'm not posting these to YouTube.

Back