Best Small Dashcam to mount to Office Window to watch outside

JB-007

Reaction score
Country
United States
HI, what is the best dash cam that is small, discreet, and with good performance that I can attach to the inside of my office window looking outside and watch activity outside nearby?
some features I am thinking I need:
Small and Discreet
SD Card with high capacity i.e. 128gb to record
Wifi to watch Real-Time on an App on iOS Device iPhone and/or PC, or Mac
USB cord that I can plug into n Anker Power Bank for power

I am thinking the Viofo A119 V2 but I am open to considering others..
I am planing to use it long term so It should be quiet ro bust.

Thank you for your recommendations in advance.

Wifi arnt really real time, there are most often a little delay, but < 1 second of course.

The F1 also come in 2 lens versions, the wide one if your target area are right outside the window, and a 90 degree FOV version that will give a more true perspective and longer reach.

I have been thinking about doing this with one of my B1W cameras. It's fairly discreet and has WiFi. The relatively low bitrate allows for long recording times - not sure what the max card capacity is.

I would expect most dashcams to be far too wide angle for that, so the 90 degree Gitup F1 does seem a good choice. There is also a 90 degree version of the Gitup G3 which would work nicely recording in 1080 resolution optionally using its digital zoom which could then require a lot less bitrate than the F1 giving longer recording times on your memory card while still recording the same detail of a small area of your car park.

Yeah the B1W would be good too if the subject are fairly close, but i have a sneaky feeling we are talking some distance here, so the footage will probably be a general picture.
There is a reason my PTZ camera are zoomed in on my parked car, otherwise even from the 20 or so Meters down to the car a identification will be hard to make, but zoomed in so my car fill the image and i stand a good chance.
But general picture can also be fine if you have the time to react personally, but then you pretty much have to sit there and look at the feed all the time.

My sneaky feeling make me think something like a 12 MM lens will be good.

It's probably cheaper to get an indoor wifi security cam that you can stick in the window. Most have an app you can watch the video on your phone.
The wifi signal is probably stronger, also. I set a couple of outdoor wifi cams up at a friends house who wanted to see what the dogs were barking at in the backyard before she opened the back door up to yell at them. :)

The viofo A119v2 has no wifi.

i have a yi home camera pointing outside from my front window. be aware that you will have a ton of glare anytime your interior lights are brighter than outside. your daytime footage should be just fine but your evening footage will have a lot of glare when you have your lights on unless you build some sort of box or shield around the camera.

here are some crops of the same area for example:

5FC07F47-E099-4D0C-8D6E-F6E65624361B.jpeg

2BF375F6-D2C2-4167-811E-41F17C738C82.jpeg

Last edited:
i have a yi home camera pointing outside from my front window. be aware that you will have a ton of glare anytime your interior lights are brighter than outside. your daytime footage should be just fine but your evening footage will have a lot of glare when you have your lights on unless you build some sort of box or shield around the camera.

here are some crops of the same area for example:

View attachment 42463

View attachment 42464
On this camera, is there a way to turn off the IR lights at night so that it doesn't reflect off window? Is there an Yi App to watch in real time similar to the Nest? Thanks

I like the way the Nest Cam works but do not want the IR at night reflecting off the window and I would like a smaller camera then the nest that I can stick to the window somehow and not have a "stand". I need to for looking out the window discreetly but have Nest features... less IR and a wifi app to watch realtime with the ability to also record on to a micro SD also.

I was thinking the Wyze cam but it doesn't come in Black and is not discreet poking out the window and no way to mount on the window it will be seen which I do not want (the Wyze is pretty cool cam for only $25 dollars)

Its like I want the Nest or Wyze or Yi GoPro abilities with a Mounting feature like the B1W or Viofo A129....

Thanks for your recommendations, I think its gonna take me some time to figure the best thing out eventually lol

On this camera, is there a way to turn off the IR lights at night so that it doesn't reflect off window? Is there an Yi App to watch in real time similar to the Nest? Thanks

yes. I have it turned off because it's facing the window. and yes, there is a pretty decent Yi app where you can remotely monitor it in real time or playback video from the cloud or the SD card.

here's more thoughts on the yi camera's that I use:
I use Yi home cameras at home. a have a yi dome pointing out of my front window to my front yard / street. it has a feature where it does motion tracking of an object. it's a neat feature but I have way too much foliage in a sometimes windy area so it'll go nuts if I leave that on. however, I do appreciate that I can change where it's pointing according to where I park right from a simple to use app on my mobile device. it is wifi and needs only to be plugged into a USB power source so you can plug it into an external battery if need be. it does have a cloud service where it will save the first 6 seconds of a motion event for an entire week. there are subscription services for it as well if you want more storage. the lens is wide angle only so you can't capture any plates but model and color of vehicle should be no problem. I believe the software on it is pretty locked down so you won't be able to use your PC as a DVR for it. there is PC/android/iOS software available for it in which you can download any footage from the SD card in the device.

here's an example of it being used outside with motion tracking on. I can't possibly do this where I live as it's too foggy and it'll kill the camera.

I like the way the Nest Cam works but do not want the IR at night reflecting off the window and I would like a smaller camera then the nest that I can stick to the window somehow and not have a "stand". I need to for looking out the window discreetly but have Nest features... less IR and a wifi app to watch realtime with the ability to also record on to a micro SD also.

I was thinking the Wyze cam but it doesn't come in Black and is not discreet poking out the window and no way to mount on the window it will be seen which I do not want (the Wyze is pretty cool cam for only $25 dollars)

Its like I want the Nest or Wyze or Yi GoPro abilities with a Mounting feature like the B1W or Viofo A129....

Thanks for your recommendations, I think its gonna take me some time to figure the best thing out eventually lol

most of these cameras will allow you to mount it upside down onto the top windowsill. my camera is white and will blend into the curtains when looking in from the outside. it's barely noticeable.

My camera,,,, the PTZ one at least are like a football ( 7 inch DIA ) nailed to my balcony door.
Most people dont even now its there, Danes are good at looking at their feet as they shuffle aimless thru life.

My camera,,,, the PTZ one at least are like a football ( 7 inch DIA ) nailed to my balcony door.
Most people dont even now its there, Danes are good at looking at their feet as they shuffle aimless thru life.

(But you find more lost coins that way.....)

"Stoopers" ;) If color is the only major problem, a fix via paint or camo tape is only a couple bucks :) Test first to be sure your new toy functions correctly- most faulty products will be exposed at that point- then paint away!

Phil

Back