Between the Viofo A229 Pro, A139 Pro, Vantrue N4 Pro or Thinkware U3000 which one should I get? Also what is the general opinion on battery packs?

DashRun

Reaction score
Country
United States
Which one should I get between all my options or are their any other to consider?
  1. Viofo A229 Pro
  2. A139 Pro
  3. Vantrue N4 Pro
  4. Thinkware U3000
Also are battery packs from Thinkware or BlackBoxMyCar worth getting compared to the standard hard wiring to the fuse box?

The Thinkware doesn't have HDR, so unless you need its radar parking mode, you can cross it off the list.

The N4 has quite decent image quality but in general the Viofo's have a better feature set, and Vantrue don't have a good record with firmware updates.

Currently I like the A139 Pro, but it looks like the A229 Pro is about to overtake it on image quality due to a firmware upgrade, so I would put that top of the list, it also has the best bitrates if you are using multiple cameras.

The Thinkware doesn't have HDR, so unless you need its radar parking mode, you can cross it off the list.

The N4 has quite decent image quality but in general the Viofo's have a better feature set, and Vantrue don't have a good record with firmware updates.

Currently I like the A139 Pro, but it looks like the A229 Pro is about to overtake it on image quality due to a firmware upgrade, so I would put that top of the list, it also has the best bitrates if you are using multiple cameras.
I see thanks for all the information. Any other dashcam worth looking into also?

Also are battery packs from Thinkware or BlackBoxMyCar worth getting compared to the standard hard wiring to the fuse box?
It depends on if you need 24/7 coverage or not. With the Viofo cameras, you can set a parking mode duration, so that it only records the first eg 3 hours, which covers all supermarket visits but doesn't waste your battery while parked in a dark garage overnight, then the car battery is fine.

Any other dashcam worth looking into also?
If we are sticking with Starvis 2 sensors, which seem to be considered necessary this winter, then there is not yet much other choice. The Viofo A119 Mini 2 is worth considering, or maybe two of them. For some people 2x A119 it is a better choice than a single 2 channel camera and the video quality is considered about the best available.

If we are sticking with Starvis 2 sensors, which seem to be considered necessary this winter, then there is not yet much other choice. The Viofo A119 Mini 2 is worth considering, or maybe two of them. For some people 2x A119 it is a better choice than a single 2 channel camera and the video quality is considered about the best available.
How does the A229 Pro do with heat? I live in Panama so if I park for long period of time in the day I dont know if it can cause issue

I have the Vantrue 4, and is a LARGE unit. The base does not have a lot of leeway in the adjustment angles. It does have very nice image quality though.

How does the A229 Pro do with heat? I live in Panama so if I park for long period of time in the day I dont know if it can cause issue
Nobody has answered, so I will try, although I live in UK were temperatures are different to Panama!

It is too new for the A229 Pro to have had good customer testing in hot places, so we don't really know, but Viofo do test their cameras properly and they also have over temperature protection, I don't know how this works on the A229, but on the A139 Pro, it will turn off one channel if it gets too hot, and if it stays too hot will turn off another channel, and if it is still too hot then it will shut down to protect itself, so there is no reason to worry about it getting damaged, the only issue is that if you leave it recording in parking mode on a hot day with the sun shining into a car with no ventilation, then you should expect it to shut down occasionally around midday. While driving, it is very unlikely that it is going to overheat, and if it does then the driver will too!

Thanks for this comment. Could you please elaborate on pros and cons of 2CH vs 2x1CH options (specific devices A229 Plus @ USD200 and 2x A119 Mini 2 @240, including CPL for both). Note that even though the viofos seem to be quite sturdy and reliable A229 plus / pro have some hesitant reviews due to them being recent launches. A119 Mini 2 seems to be more reliable.

Could you please elaborate on pros and cons of 2CH vs 2x1CH options
Pros of 2x 1 channel:
Redundancy, on failure you will only lose one of them.
Better heat tolerance, not sure that is so true with the A229 Plus and Pro, but you do have only half the data being written to each memory card, and it is often the memory card that fails first due to high heat.
2K at good bitrate on both cameras, although again, the A229s manage that.
HDR on both cameras, but again the A229s manage that as well.
Double the memory capacity.

Cons:
You need to press 2 lock buttons, if you are someone who uses the lock button, which is very difficult while driving. You may be able to use the voice command though, if your car is reasonably quiet.
You need two memory cards and two hardwire kits (although that is good for redundancy).
Extracting video files is a little more difficult since they are in two places if you need both channels. Most people don't normally need both though, I don't think it is often an issue.
The rear camera is a little larger than a 2 channel rear camera, although the Mini 2 is quite small, for most people this isn't an issue.

I'm sure I've missed some, but 2 channel is more convenient, and normally recommended. No really good reason not to go for 2x 1 channel, many people have that setup because it used to be impossible to get good 2 channel cameras with 2K HDR on both channels.

Thanks for such a detailed response. I understand 229 Plus 2CH will be more convenient and elegant. It's a heart vs head tug of war :)

229 Plus being a new model, reliability will always be under doubt for at least next 6 months. Viofo has no repair support in India (forget about warranty being honoured). The reason I even started thinking about a two-camera setup was that the likelihood of both my Minis failing would be almost nil.

The reseller prices are 60-65% higher than Amazon US prices and I am unable to get over that temptation.

Nobody has answered, so I will try, although I live in UK were temperatures are different to Panama!

It is too new for the A229 Pro to have had good customer testing in hot places, so we don't really know, but Viofo do test their cameras properly and they also have over temperature protection, I don't know how this works on the A229, but on the A139 Pro, it will turn off one channel if it gets too hot, and if it stays too hot will turn off another channel, and if it is still too hot then it will shut down to protect itself, so there is no reason to worry about it getting damaged, the only issue is that if you leave it recording in parking mode on a hot day with the sun shining into a car with no ventilation, then you should expect it to shut down occasionally around midday. While driving, it is very unlikely that it is going to overheat, and if it does then the driver will too!
Yeah starting to test the A229 Pro and so far not so good. Has been 38 Celsius or above, the last four days here and just today driving for 30 minutes out my carport and waiting in the mid afternoon sun. The Viofo kept turning off then attempting to turn on a few seconds later, record for a minute or so then the process would repeat.

Surprisingly, the Nexus 4 Pro hasn't exhibited any of that behaviour (yet). Will have to see how it goes over the next couple of months here in the Australian summer

Yeah starting to test the A229 Pro and so far not so good. Has been 38 Celsius or above, the last four days here and just today driving for 30 minutes out my carport and waiting in the mid afternoon sun. The Viofo kept turning off then attempting to turn on a few seconds later, record for a minute or so then the process would repeat.

Surprisingly, the Nexus 4 Pro hasn't exhibited any of that behaviour (yet). Will have to see how it goes over the next couple of months here in the Australian summer
Do you use the original car charger or the hardwire kits?

Do you use the original car charger or the hardwire kits?
Original car charger. Never had an issue with A119 v3 with the heat. I will have to do more testing and get the temperature readings but it's definitely not coping with the heat.

It depends on if you need 24/7 coverage or not. With the Viofo cameras, you can set a parking mode duration, so that it only records the first eg 3 hours, which covers all supermarket visits but doesn't waste your battery while parked in a dark garage overnight, then the car battery is fine.
Hello, if I need 24/7 support about 4x a week. Which Viofo should I pick that consume the less energy? I also plan to get an external battery pack as well.

I finally ordered two units of A119 Mini 2 with a CPL each. With 2 Samsung Pro Endurance 256GB cards, the total cost was about USD 300. I could have got A229 Plus 2CH + CPL + 256GB card for USD 225 but decided to go with more redundancy. Not sure if it was a good decision but I hope to have better rear recording quality with CPL and 18+ hours of driving before videos get overwritten.

Need inputs from people who have tried this or similar combination about installation (I am not hardwiring). Does the length of original cable suffice for the rear camera? If not, what is a better option: (a) power both from the main 12V source at dashboard (b) power the rear one with 12V source present in the middle row of my car?

Option B may not look elegant, but option A requires purchasing USB-C extender cable and dealing with the uncertainty that current flow from 12V socket is insufficient to power to independent cameras (or the risk that electrical overheating causes damages).

Does the length of original cable suffice for the rear camera? If not, what is a better option: (a) power both from the main 12V source at dashboard (b) power the rear one with 12V source present in the middle row of my car?
Depends on where you power socket is, many cars have a power socket in the back which should be good.
If you have to reach the middle row of seats, you will probably need an extension, and it is best to extend the 12V power socket, not the USB cable. To reach the front you will definitely need an extension.

Do take note of when the 12V power sockets are powered, some may turn off while parked while others stay on.

Not sure if it was a good decision
It is a good decision, there are some disadvantages to having 2 separate dashcams, but also several advantages. Overall I think you are better protected with 2, but for most people having 2 separate cameras is unnecessary.

Thanks for the quick response @Nigel

My car has one more 12V socket in the middle row. That's why I am tempted to use it.

But if the main 12V can socket can safely sustain two independent cameras, maybe I'll just get the extra cable.

I finally ordered two units of A119 Mini 2 with a CPL each. With 2 Samsung Pro Endurance 256GB cards, the total cost was about USD 300. I could have got A229 Plus 2CH + CPL + 256GB card for USD 225 but decided to go with more redundancy. Not sure if it was a good decision but I hope to have better rear recording quality with CPL and 18+ hours of driving before videos get overwritten.

Need inputs from people who have tried this or similar combination about installation (I am not hardwiring). Does the length of original cable suffice for the rear camera? If not, what is a better option: (a) power both from the main 12V source at dashboard (b) power the rear one with 12V source present in the middle row of my car?

Option B may not look elegant, but option A requires purchasing USB-C extender cable and dealing with the uncertainty that current flow from 12V socket is insufficient to power to independent cameras (or the risk that electrical overheating causes damages).
Congrats.
I’ve been running an A119 Mini 2 & A119 Mini on my rear window for 1.5 years.
First I used a 5’ ft USB extension with the included 12’ ft USB Type-C power cable connected to the included Dual CLA car charger D3000.
I experience power starvation issues due to the extension.
I installed a 16’ ft USB Type-C cable for the rear camera, and no more issues.
Here is the cable I used;
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B08V8Q3SZ5
The Samsung Pro Endurance 256GB cards you ordered are not specifically not recommended by Viofo.
You should have bought the Viofo 256GB cards with 50% off promotion.
See attached screenshots.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-12-12 2.37.21 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-12 2.37.21 AM.png
    461.7 KB · Views: 11
  • Screenshot 2023-12-12 2.35.31 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-12 2.35.31 AM.png
    294.5 KB · Views: 11
  • Screenshot 2023-12-12 2.33.26 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-12 2.33.26 AM.png
    280.1 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot 2023-12-12 2.29.26 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-12 2.29.26 AM.png
    504.9 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot 2023-12-12 2.27.47 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-12 2.27.47 AM.png
    451.4 KB · Views: 11
I installed a 16’ ft USB Type-C cable for the rear camera, and no more issues.
You may have no issues, but that will depend on the USB charger used as much as the cable used. Overall, it is much more likely to work and be reliable if you extend the 12V power socket and use the standard Viofo supplied charger and cable.

I'm not suggesting that you change yours, but for someone setting up a new system, the 12V extension is preferable.

Back