Black Hero HD 720P Car DVR

Jet Lag

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
70Mai A810
Hi, have just bought one of the above. Initial trials suggest good value for money, however limited instructions don't help to understand the camera functions.

I like the fact that it is so small and there is no clutter on the windscreen. I have it mounted just behind the rear view mirror (on the passenger side) so am unable to see it from the driver's seat.

Whereabouts on the forum can I find a section applicable to this camera and its family?

Interesting observation is that I am driving more carefully myself!!

Could I suggest that posters of dash cam videos include the make and model of dashcam in their signature.

Jet Lag said:
Whereabouts on the forum can I find a section applicable to this camera and its family?

http://dashcamtalk.com/smallest-hd-720p/ some info about this camera here, it's a dated model now so forum topics will probably be quite a few pages deep by now in the same section, most people are looking at the updated 1080p version these days, the 720p version never really did too well

Jet Lag said:

that's a common occurrence, (unless you're Russian it seems)

Jet Lag said:
Could I suggest that posters of dash cam videos include the make and model of dashcam in their signature.

many members list what they use, below their user name and location (right of screen) rather than in the signature

Last edited by a moderator:
jokiin said:
Jet Lag said:
many members list what they use, below their user name and location (right of screen) rather than in the signature

This plus once you start watching more and more of other users DashCam videos you kind of start to get an idea of what kind of camera based on the time stamp the camera uses

Real DVR-XXX are stamped ontop the video white background black text.
Knock off DVR-XXX use green or yellow text in the bottom corner and have poor quality video.
Vico TF2s say VicoTag on the video

Jet Lag said:
Hi, have just bought one of the above. Initial trials suggest good value for money, however limited instructions don't help to understand the camera functions.

I like the fact that it is so small and there is no clutter on the windscreen. I have it mounted just behind the rear view mirror (on the passenger side) so am unable to see it from the driver's seat.

If you like that form factor, you should have bought the all new cousin of that camera: Smallest Mini 0801 Ambarella A2S60 + OV2710 + GPS. (they start at $80 USD)
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1001
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product ... 74589.html

Thanks for reminding me to update my signature

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi All

Now had this camera installed for about three weeks, so here are my thoughts on it.

Good:
  • Excellent value for money, if you consider this as a starter camera to establish the need for such technology.
  • Small, and discrete. Easily secures to windscreen. No big suction pads on windscreen, yuch!!
  • Fit and forget - until you need it. Then you just need to remember the time and review the recording later.
  • Easy to hardwire, no need for yet another plug for the ciggy lighter
Bad:
  • AVI output not so versatile
  • No screen included for setup purposes. Bought this on eBay, did the trick.
  • Quality of video is not good. Impossible to see number plates of passing cars.
  • Sound quality not good
I had previously purchased a dashcam with two cameras and which contained a small screen. The supplier's instructions were cr*p and not easily decipherable, even though they were in Chinese English. I had to ask them if I could turn the screen off whilst driving, indicating that it could be a distraction if on all the time it was recording. I received a terse reply saying that it was not possible to switch the screen off, but I should not look at it anyway whilst driving because it was dangerous! That one went back to the supplier in short time for reimbursement.

My ideal camera therefore will:
  • Have the same (or similar) form factor of this camera and be discreet
  • Have a small mount that is able for the camera to be mounted (permanently or not) behind the rear view mirror.
  • Have GPS, not to know where I am driving but to give an accurate timestamp, irrespective of whether I am driving in France or UK
  • Have the ability to record speed in both kph (for France) and mph (for UK)
  • Possibility of hardwiring with connection from the camera (or mount) going vertically to headlining - not powered by cigarette lighter power (I already have my GPS plugged in there)
  • Possibility of recording for a period of time after switching off the ignition.
  • Possibility of recording following a nudge of the car in car park or supermarket parking!
  • Fit and forget...
These are photos of the camera in situ:
resized_P1000722.JPG resized_P1000725.JPG

The device on the other side of the mirror is my transponder for passing through the toll booths in France without stopping.

At present I am monitoring feedback on the 0801, but cannot yet see if it can be hardwired, or to show mph.

I will continue with my cheap dashcam for the time being......

Last edited:
i've got the same as yours Jet Lag and mostly agree with your findings...

now if they made a 1080p version of this , i'd be the first to buy....i know the 0801 is available but not everyone wants a lcd screen on the cam..i have my 'black hero' cam plugged into my RSE so rear seat passengers can see the road ahead on the screens..

i've had good feedback from the passengers in the back, instead of trying to look around the back of the seat to see whats ahead they just look at the RSE screen...

i've had good feedback from the passengers in the back, instead of trying to look around the back of the seat to see whats ahead they just look at the RSE screen...

I like the idea actually, not for everyday use but I can think of situations where it would be really useful to do

I bought the SD9 Black Hero from Amazon and tested it today. The focus was horrible. I read on this site that some people were able to disassemble the case and rotate the lense until the focus was correct. I did and what a difference it made! I have yet to test it out on the road, but this camera will be a keeper.

for nowdays , price of 1080P was so cheap and reliable

why people still considerate 720 ?

the reason why i brought the 'black hero' was the size and the live a/v output..yes it is only 720p but the 0801 wasnt available at the time of purchase.

the reason why i brought the 'black hero' was the size and the live a/v output..yes it is only 720p but the 0801 wasnt available at the time of purchase.

0801 came out in April, maybe you just hadn't seen it previously

didnt know that jokiin...i just looked on ebay and the black hero 'seemed' to be the best for me at the time...its a good learning experience :)

this ebay listing claims the dashcam is 1080p , i wonder how true that is,

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271284280722

not true at all I would say, it's a pic of the 720p version, has a 1.3mp sensor which can't do 1080p and is impossible at the price, either a mistake or deceptive but either way it's not correct

Anyone tried a 64gb class10 card - sdxc i think?
Wanted to use that when my dvr comes as a temp test... If all goof than will get 32gb class 10 sdxc.

Regards
Duke

I am currently using a 32gb, class 10. Don't seem to have any problems with it. But there again I am not constantly taking it out and reviewing the videos.

The plan was (still is) to fit and forget!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

How does one know if they have bought a true 720p or 1080p dvr? Look at the megapixel size lens? Anything else?

Regards
Duke

Back