Blackvue DR550GW Full English Review!

exhaustnote said:
JazJon, if it weren't for the quality issues, this is by far the best functioning camera I've had so far. The front/rear camera sync is awesome and super handy.
BTW, if you want to check it out in person, I live in SF as well.

Sounds good, sent you a PM. I'd like to see it up close and try out the iPhone app interface.

I can show you my new Smallest Ambarella DashCam (my first DashCam ever, I'm calling it my "Starter" cam)
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1001&start=270#p23855 (you'll see I'm waiting for a firmware update to turn .TS recordings into .MOV)
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product ... 74589.html

and newly setup AppRadio 3.
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/ ... (SPH-DA210)
http://avic411.com/index.php?/forum/62- ... ppradio-3/

It would be nice to have a WiFi interface that I could then mirror from my iPhone 5 to the AppRadio 3.

Pittasoft should look into making their iOS app AppRadio ready. The Waze GPS navigation app is outstanding on app radio. I get full multi-touch control as if it was a Giant iPad! Any app will mirror though at the very least, but nice when apps have built in AppRadio support. iOS 7 will add more CarRadio support as well So yeah any DashCam iOS app needs to be looking to this type of innovation!

Last edited by a moderator:
B20RRL said:
Just to quickly let you guys know that we now have UK / English stock of the Blackvue DR550W!

They are selling very quickly though!

http://www.advanced-incar.co.uk/in-car- ... nel-system

I must admit, reading the advertising blurb they sound a great bit of kit & almost exactly what I'm looking for, so it's a great pity that real world testing doesn't seem to bear this out :(

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Merko said:
wozzzzza said:
B20RRL said:
Just to quickly let you guys know that we now have UK / English stock of the Blackvue DR550W!

They are selling very quickly though!

http://www.advanced-incar.co.uk/in-car- ... nel-system
faaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrkkkkkkkkkkkkk $620AUD im never getting one until it at least halves I price.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/330988672213?ss ... 1497.l2649

$369 there though.. :p

Which language is the firmware as it seems to be a Korean version

If you read the item description on ebay it says "The Original English Version + Manual" ;)

Merko said:
If you read the item description on ebay it says "The Original English Version + Manual" ;)

It does to but Im pretty sure it didn't when I looked two days ago.

Have seen listings by them before that have been changed because they were misleading or incorrect.

They have been there at all times.. even when i bougth mine from same buyer :)

Merko said:
They have been there at all times.. even when i bougth mine from same buyer :)

Oh well I had better clean my glasses then I guess LOL

Hehe, that never hurts... ;-)

Blackvue sent me an upgraded AV cable so have been able to get some more footage from the camera!

My DR550 is currently installed in my Audi A3 which has Rear Privacy Glass as standard.

Here's the footage:

B20RRL said:
Blackvue sent me an upgraded AV cable so have been able to get some more footage from the camera!

My DR550 is currently installed in my Audi A3 which has Rear Privacy Glass as standard.

Here's the footage:

given dark glass in the back is a fairly common situation do they have separate EV or brightness adjustments for front and rear or does it adjust both together?

jokiin said:
given dark glass in the back is a fairly common situation do they have separate EV or brightness adjustments for front and rear or does it adjust both together?

Unfortunately not...

It's one slider that appears to control front & rear.
It would seem logical for them to have a separate adjustment for the front & rear camera though. Hopefully it will be something that will appear in the next FW that is currently being written.

B20RRL said:
jokiin said:

Unfortunately not...

It would seem logical for them to have a separate adjustment for the front & rear camera though. Hopefully it will be something that will appear in the next FW that is currently being written.

yeah I'm not sure if the TI solution supports this, hopefully they can, it's something we'll look at doing in our A7 dual camera product but that's still a couple of months away at this stage, in Australia tinted glass either factory or aftermarket is very common so it's something it ideally needs to have I think

jokiin said:
B20RRL said:
jokiin said:

Unfortunately not...

yeah I'm not sure if the TI solution supports this, hopefully they can, it's something we'll look at doing in our A7 dual camera product but that's still a couple of months away at this stage, in Australia tinted glass either factory or aftermarket is very common so it's something it ideally needs to have I think

Yep definitely needs to be considered. It's pretty common here in the UK too.

When you've got some more info you can chuck my way we can do a similar review for your cams if you're keen. We've got some pretty slick routes to market here in the UK!

B20RRL said:

When you've got some more info you can chuck my way we can do a similar review for your cams if you're keen. We've got some pretty slick routes to market here in the UK!

yeah I will send you through some detail when we get closer, there's still a couple of things that are getting finalised so want to make sure the spec I give is 100% correct, we've made a couple of revisions to the spec (for the better mostly anyway), we're almost there

jokiin said:
B20RRL said:

yeah I will send you through some detail when we get closer, there's still a couple of things that are getting finalised so want to make sure the spec I give is 100% correct, we've made a couple of revisions to the spec (for the better mostly anyway), we're almost there

I'm certainly interested in jokiin's twin camera setup when it hits the market, I'm yet to see one that I'm tempted to run out & buy so really looking forward to seeing it

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Back