Blackvue recordings now unviewable directly from card?

Triggerfish

Reaction score
Country
United States
Had a near accident today and tried to pull the video by pulling my memory card out of the camera and directly putting it into a reader on my MacBook... and two of my MacBooks now say the card is unreadable when plugged into my computers! NEVER had this happen before.

The video IS on the card but now appears to be ONLY READABLE WHEN PLUGGED INTO THE BLACKVUE CAMERA. This is UNACCEPTABLE and a continuation of Blackvue messing with customers IMO.

I tell you what... I am about DONE with Blackvue!! Two incidents now and I have had NOTHING BUT PROBLEMS retrieving the video!!

I already have one VIOFO A139 Pro, I Think it's time to move all my cars to VIOFO.

I would strongly suggest that if anyone is buying a new dashcam that they do their research on Blackvue and what they have done to their app and customers over the past several months... invasion of privacy, locking down memory cards, forcing log-ins, complicating their viewer software, etc.

RIDICULOUS.

Last edited:
All of the microSD cards are readable on my Windows 10 and Windows 11 laptops. The video files are viewable using any video player including the BlackVue SC Card Viewer app. There may be something wrong with the microSD card's file system which may be preventing your MacBook from successfully mounting it as a readable card.

All of the microSD cards are readable on my Windows 10 and Windows 11 laptops. The video files are viewable using any video player including the BlackVue SC Card Viewer app. There may be something wrong with the microSD card's file system which may be preventing your MacBook from successfully mounting it as a readable card.
Right. That was true up until today for this card which appears to be operating correctly (recording and access from App).

My question is, have you tried your card since the recent updates? That’s my concern. I haven’t had time to dig into this surprise problem. I will investigate further but I can tell you, in 8+ years of dealing with dash cams I have never had this happen. Sure I’ve had cards fail, but that’s not the issue here.

Right. That was true up until today for this card which appears to be operating correctly (recording and access from App).

My question is, have you tried your card since the recent updates? That’s my concern. I haven’t had time to dig into this surprise problem. I will investigate further but I can tell you, in 8+ years of dealing with dash cams I have never had this happen. Sure I’ve had cards fail, but that’s not the issue here.
Yes, I've tried with the recent firmware updates installed in a DR900X-2CH Plus and the new DR970X-2CH. I've also updated the apps on my iOS and Android devices. I checked the microSD cards and video files before writing my earlier reply.

The one thing I can think of is, how soon did you pull the card ?

Files need to be "closed" or they cannot be read on other devices. That is why dashcams have batteries or capacitors, to allow the closing of files when main power is lost.

The one thing I can think of is, how soon did you pull the card ?

Files need to be "closed" or they cannot be read on other devices. That is why dashcams have batteries or capacitors, to allow the closing of files when main power is lost.
The file had been well closed, I have them set to a 1 minute file. This was about an hour later. I powered down the BV like I normally do, and when you power down there is a capacitor that shuts the camera down (if you unplug it, it will say "powering down" and power off via the capacitor.

I was unable to retrieve the near accident nor any of the older videos, but was able to view and retrieve new videos that began recording once I inserted the card back into the blackvue and powered it back up. It seemed to brick all of the videos for some reason.

I can honestly say that in 8 years of running dashcams, I have never had a video file corrupted / made unreadable before. Now I've had missed recordings due to power or card failure, but this was the first one in a blackvue. It just seemed like this issue arose because of the software changes and reconfiguring of the software/viewer.. at least that's my gut. Prior to this I was having a hard time even finding the videos since you had to log into the server and then confusingly shuffle your way through the app just to find the recorded videos. Before this, it was amazingly simple and honestly one of the things I loved about Blackvue- the simple yet detailed menu and ability to work with everything. I witnessed a pretty bad accident with severe injures several years ago that happed right in front of me while I was sitting at a light, and I was able to pull over, retrieve the video for the police and the victim, and even upload it to youtube in the matter of minutes. I don't feel like this current Blackvue software would match this amazing performance. But when I look at VIOFO and some of the competitors, it's the way it should be.. simple.

It seems like Blackvue got greedy with trying to charge monthly fees (cloud) and forgot that their product shines as is and the cloud is only an option used by a small percentage.. and that forcing it would just make people leave their brand. I know I am starting to convert to STARVIS 2 VIOFO and am starting to look to platforms that A.) Provide the best video quality and B.) are simple to use and retrieve in an emergency. A is only important to me when B is friendly and works! I always run 2 cameras and have one as a backup, but I didn't have one since this is a new car that I just purchased.. so only had one (the blackvue) installed. I usually use a VIFO as backup, looks like I will be changing to VIOFO as primary/trusted now.

Back