New Blackvue App 2023: HORRID

Triggerfish

Reaction score
Country
United States
What was blackvue thinking with this new app? It's convoluted, and not very user friendly now.. I went to download a video from an incident today and I am almost ready to move away from Blackvue if they are going to stick with this! Trying to find where they hid the "downloaded videos" was beyond frustrating. Then, when I went to download the original video file it took over 5 minutes for a 3-minute video from a DR750X. I thought maybe I needed to manually connect to the wifi, but that didn't help.

I have been using Blackvue for at least 6 years now, and I have always loved the simplicity of the App.

I'm not a fan of the new app either. They're really pushing the whole social media thing and it feels like they're losing focus on why we buy dashcams and what we need the apps for. Seeing other people's videos is fine, I guess, but that stuff should really be secondary if anything.

That said, they shared with me that they are working on an update for the app to include things giving people the option to connect to their dashcam without logging in and making the camera tab the new default. I'm not sure if the update is going to fix the login issues though. We'll see. On iOS it is able to log me back in using FaceID which is nice, but it's silly that I keep getting logged out regardless.

Either way, it feels like the new app is turning into bloatware. I get that dashcam manufacturers want to separate themselves from the pack in terms of features or whatever, but this new app redesign feels like a big letdown.

I'm planning to upgrade to a 360-degree setup in the coming months. I seriously considered BlackVue because of their nice stealthy hardware and remote alerts.

But I'm wary of any hardware (not just dashcams - anything) whose functionality relies on proprietary software, especially proprietary smartphone apps. With proprietary apps, the manufacturer can at any time withdraw support for the hardware - or downgrade the user experience to (almost) unusable levels, which seems to be what BlackVue have done recently.

This thread, and the v3.41 blues and BlackVue App Update threads, have convinced me that unless an open-source app becomes available for BlackVue, I'm going to avoid them completely - and likewise any other camera (Thinkware U1000, Thinkware Q1000, and Viofo A139 Pro were on my shortlist too) that requires a proprietary app for basic functionality.

Last edited:
We are truly sorry for the inconvenience and distress caused by this update. An update (should be 3.42) is coming out (expected next week). It will add:
- a Guest access mode (direct Wi-Fi access without login requirement to access the camera and the downloaded videos).
- The Camera tab will be the new default tab.
- The developers are also working on improving the loading speed of the tabs.
- All in all, it should make it faster than ever before to access one's dashcam over Wi-Fi or Cloud for logged-in users, while still providing options for users who don't want to create an account and users with an account but no internet access.
- The Event Map auto-sharing option will be removed altogether, in order to avoid accidentally sharing videos. Users will only be able to pick and add videos manually.

Thank you.

We are truly sorry for the inconvenience and distress caused by this update. An update (should be 3.42) is coming out (expected next week). It will add:
- a Guest access mode (direct Wi-Fi access without login requirement to access the camera and the downloaded videos).
- All in all, it should make it faster than ever before to access one's dashcam over Wi-Fi or Cloud for logged-in users, while still providing options for users who don't want to create an account and users with an account but no internet access.
- The Event Map auto-sharing option will be removed altogether, in order to avoid accidentally sharing videos. Users will only be able to pick and add videos manually.

Thank you.

@BlackVue_Pittasoft these are steps in the right direction, but they don't address all concerns.

Please implement & publish an open API for the BlackVue cameras. (Maybe also for the BlackVue cloud service.)

The camera API should be available at least over WiFi, and ideally also over USB. It should at least let users:
  • Adjust all the settings of the camera.
  • Download/stream footage directly from the camera. (I think this is already possible e.g. using cURL or blackvuesync, but BlackVue should make it part of an official, stable, open API.)
  • Poll the camera for a list of current files.

If BlackVue does this, it would be "win-win-win".

It would be a "win" for 3rd-party developers, including open-source developers, because:
  • They could write and publish software and services for BlackVue cameras, confident that they aren't wasting the time that they invest.
  • They could license that software and those services to BlackVue users (individuals, and fleets) and to BlackVue itself.

It would be a "win" for consumers because:
  • Users like me could buy BlackVue cameras confident that they can set up the camera without needing a Google Play Store or Apple Store compatible smartphone or even internet access. (They could just use cURL, from any old PC with WiFi or USB.)
  • Users would know their (legally vital!) footage will never be held hostage by BlackVue app updates/problems (again, they can just use cURL).
  • Fleet managers would be able to set up cameras in bulk, from a computer script.
  • "Technical" users could more easily automatically back up their cameras in real-time (while driving) to their own servers instead of to BlackVue's cloud, thereby protecting their privacy from BlackVue, and reducing the risk of their footage from being irretrievable in the event of memory card faults.
  • Non-technical users could continue to use BlackVue's app and cloud services, if they like - and I'm sure most non-technical users would continue to do that.

It would be a "win" for BlackVue because:
  • Far more people would buy BlackVue cameras, so BlackVue's market share (and profits) would increase.
  • BlackVue could improve its own app & "cloud" services by licensing innovative software from third-party developers.

Basically, it would create a "generative" ecosystem that benefits everyone involved, much the IBM PC did.

Last edited:

Thank you.
I look forward to this update in the coming week.

Making you login to access the camera is silly, especially when I don't want or need cloud subscription.

New app same issue for me, im officially done, cant log i to my $900 camera.

Blackvue really studfed up

Update 3.42 is live (2023-03-23):​

Release notes:

1. Added a Guest mode for direct Wi-Fi access without login requirement to access the camera and the app’s downloaded videos.
  2. Removed the Event Map auto-sharing option. Videos must be shared manually.
  3. Changed the default tab to Camera instead of Explore tab, for logged in users.
  4. Improved the loading speed of the tabs.
  5. When losing internet access while logged in, the Emergency mode will allow users to access the “Downloaded videos” folder and the camera over Wi-Fi.
  6. After registering a camera to the Cloud, if a camera is not connected to the Cloud, the camera will default to the Wi-Fi connection method.
  7. The “Do not show” popup option will hide the popup for 7 days instead of 1 day.
  8. Bug fixes and stabilization improvements.

Thank you.

Same, despite current update 3.42. Not able to connect to cloud for over 3 weeks now. 12 pro max iPhone. 900xplus 2ch with cm100 lte connectivity module powered by 3 Blackvue battery packs PLUS 2 paid monthly subscriptions: Blackvue’s 5gb data plan with their SIM card and Blackvue’s Smart plan for “unlimited” features. Yep, they took all my money haha.

The app is deplorable. A lot of the buttons now have no or erroneous function, and it is filled with grammatical and spelling errors. I honestly thought I had gotten hacked. Reaching support is a fool’s errand, and on the rare occasion you do, expect generic and pointless suggestions that go nowhere. No real timeline for another update though they said to check back next week.

Attachments

• IMG_2866.jpeg
    IMG_2866.jpeg
    89.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2867.jpeg
    IMG_2867.jpeg
    52.6 KB · Views: 10
My first post, and sorry for the negative issues.
I face a lot of issues with new android app.
1. Google login disconnects constantly
2. App crashes and cannot always connect
app is 3.43

Update 3.42 is live (2023-03-23):​

Release notes:

1. Added a Guest mode for direct Wi-Fi access without login requirement to access the camera and the app’s downloaded videos.
  2. Removed the Event Map auto-sharing option. Videos must be shared manually.
  3. Changed the default tab to Camera instead of Explore tab, for logged in users.
  4. Improved the loading speed of the tabs.
  5. When losing internet access while logged in, the Emergency mode will allow users to access the “Downloaded videos” folder and the camera over Wi-Fi.
  6. After registering a camera to the Cloud, if a camera is not connected to the Cloud, the camera will default to the Wi-Fi connection method.
  7. The “Do not show” popup option will hide the popup for 7 days instead of 1 day.
  8. Bug fixes and stabilization improvements.

Thank you.
I have a serious privacy concern with your recent app updates as without me knowing it and despite being opted out in the privacy settings not wanting to share any videos to the public all of my cloud connected dashcam sets were uploading live footage not only to the cloud when impacts were detected but also to the public event map Beta and this is accessable for everyone to see, especially our psycho neighbor who has mental problems and vandalizes many cars in the neighborhood also owns such a set and loves to find blind spots and locations were she can find our cars un guarded so she can slash my tires and key our cars. this is like a free gift to her despite me investing heavily in security to avoid this.
and there is no manual way for me to removing those videos that are shared in that event beta map. i have reported the most privacy infridging ones to as private but so far none have been removed by your service. i dont even see them in the list that is supposed to list them my shared videos is empty for all my dashcams. This has serously damaged my trust in your products and services owning 4 dual channel dashcam sets and multiple battery sets. im affraid privacy blunders like these will serious damage your brand and the trust that people have build up in it. I really hope you will provide a solution to remove these videos that have been uploaded for public viewing so we can limit the damage that has been done.

the guy in this video on youtube i came accross searching about this issue explains best what is the problem here :
Blackvue events map privacy issue

This auto sharing of all cloud uploaded videos is also aiding car thiefs and burglars in their operations as they now can see without the individuals parking their cars knowing if there is activity in the surroundings in the garage or parking lot or if they have property valuable to take and they will know how to stay within the blind spots of the vehicles etc so your dashcam in parking mode will achieve the exact opposite of why you invested money in it in the first place.
this auto public event uploading is a terrible blunder for user privacy and security and i hope it will get fixed , the problem right now is that regardless of your privacy settings even if you opted out your videos are shared, also give users a way to have their all their videos that have been uploaded for public view without them knowing removed.

Last edited:
UPDATE: Cloud connected out of the blue early yesterday around 2am. Parking mode motion detected notifications received on my iPhone 12. I guess blackvue was secretly working on the app overnight. Wonder if BV’s SIM card and data plan were causing trouble too. Who knows, just hope they leave it alone for now.

UPDATE: Cloud connected out of the blue early yesterday around 2am. Parking mode motion detected notifications received on my iPhone 12. I guess blackvue was secretly working on the app overnight. Wonder if BV’s SIM card and data plan were causing trouble too. Who knows, just hope they leave it alone for now.
After the backlash I saw many disconnected the last weeks, at night. Probably Team is updating their Cloud services.
Night is not secretly, is more of a best practice, maintenance during less busy hours.

Back