Blackvue Viewer for Mac - "Cannot Play Video."

Driver360

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi everyone this is my first post on here :)

Just bought the DR650GW-2CH.

I have put the SD card into my Mac and using the Blackvue Viewer app for Mac. I'm playing the videos and most are okay but about 20% of the videos are not playing at all. When I double click to play the video it comes up with a box that says "repairing *file name* and then that disappears in less than a second and then the video is all black and shows an error message "Cannot Play Video." Screenshot attached below.

When I checked these files at the source they are mp4 files but their size is very small. About 300bytes or so.

How can I fix this? I am afraid of missing critical footage.

I am using the SD card that came from the retailer: Kingston 64gb Class 10 SDXC
Formatting was done by holding down the wifi button for 7 seconds.

Screen Shot 2016-07-18 at 12.20.51 AM.png

Try reformatting the SD card in your viewer, other than that try another card. Blackvue recommend only Blackvue cards but you could try Transcend. I've been using Delkin without any problem, yet.

Hi everyone this is my first post on here :)

Just bought the DR650GW-2CH.

I have put the SD card into my Mac and using the Blackvue Viewer app for Mac. I'm playing the videos and most are okay but about 20% of the videos are not playing at all. When I double click to play the video it comes up with a box that says "repairing *file name* and then that disappears in less than a second and then the video is all black and shows an error message "Cannot Play Video." Screenshot attached below.

When I checked these files at the source they are mp4 files but their size is very small. About 300bytes or so.

How can I fix this? I am afraid of missing critical footage.

I am using the SD card that came from the retailer: Kingston 64gb Class 10 SDXC
Formatting was done by holding down the wifi button for 7 seconds.

View attachment 24583

Hello customer.

The issues you're experiencing may be caused by the non-genuine 3rd party card being used. Please install the correct BlackVue sd card and re-test this system.

If you look through the BlackVue thread, there are quit a number of customers that have fixed their problems by using the proper cards.

Cheers

Hi BlackVue Australia, Thanks for your reply.
When I purchased the dash-cam from Sportsgps.com.au there was an option for an upgrade to a 32gb, 64gb or 128gb micro SD card. I chose to pay extra for the 64gb upgrade. It's a bit disappointing to find out the upgrade options they offer for this product are not the proper cards for the device.

Hi Driver360,
Suspect the 'official' BlackVue cards are just rebranded with a price hike! There is a top 10 list of compatible SD cards somewhere on this forum, I have number 2 or 3 on the list- 64Gb Class 10 Lexar UHS-I 300x in both my BlackVue and Mini 0806 cams, and these cards work flawlessly. Can't remember what the top cards were, but somewhat more expensive from what I remember. I paid just over £15 each for each of the Lexars here in the UK, so cheap as chips!

PS I use a Mac too, and never had an issue with playing files.

Hi Driver360,
Suspect the 'official' BlackVue cards are just rebranded with a price hike! There is a top 10 list of compatible SD cards somewhere on this forum, I have number 2 or 3 on the list- 64Gb Class 10 Lexar UHS-I 300x in both my BlackVue and Mini 0806 cams, and these cards work flawlessly. Can't remember what the top cards were, but somewhat more expensive from what I remember. I paid just over £15 each for each of the Lexars here in the UK, so cheap as chips!

PS I use a Mac too, and never had an issue with playing files.

Actually your suspicions are incorrect, but you're more than welcome to try any sd card you like. Please remember, we are not the manufacturer - and we're on these forums to try and help our customers, or other customers of BlackVue. We do not have anything to gain by deceiving very smart people into believe a lie, such as the cards being just a re-branded 3rd party brand.

Hi BlackVue Australia, Thanks for your reply.
When I purchased the dash-cam from Sportsgps.com.au there was an option for an upgrade to a 32gb, 64gb or 128gb micro SD card. I chose to pay extra for the 64gb upgrade. It's a bit disappointing to find out the upgrade options they offer for this product are not the proper cards for the device.

Yes it is disappointing, but there are no strict rules on which sd cards can be used. However, from our years of experience, a vast majority of 3rd party cards cause problems. If you refer to many of our previous posts we have even posted pictures of bags of sd cards that have failed after short-term use.

If you want the BlackVue card, please request this from your retailer or find another retailer for help. Thank you.

Screen Shot 11.jpg On a Mac, should I be able to navigate though my recordings by clicking on these green/red tiles? It seems to work properly on a PC however no matter what version viewer use I can't jump to a different date/hour/minute by clicking on the tiles, I can only select by clicking on the files in the white box on the right .. annoying ..

I never had any issues using aftermarket cards. I blame the crappy Macs.

Currently using Lexar 32gb for almost 1 year. Zero problems.

Actually your suspicions are incorrect, but you're more than welcome to try any sd card you like. Please remember, we are not the manufacturer - and we're on these forums to try and help our customers, or other customers of BlackVue. We do not have anything to gain by deceiving very smart people into believe a lie, such as the cards being just a re-branded 3rd party brand.

Hi BlackVue Aus,
Appreciate the reply, but wouldn't making your own SD cards be uneconomical from a business perspective? It is however, good, that you take the time to test and include known working SD cards if your customers desire them. Can remove a few headaches for folks that just want a 'one box solution' ;-)

I never had any issues using aftermarket cards. I blame the crappy Macs.

Currently using Lexar 32gb for almost 1 year. Zero problems.

Nothing wrong with Macs, still far more stable than platforms running Billy Sh1te! I was a fan of Windows for a long long time, but having used a Mac for over 5 years now, there's no way I'd go back!

View attachment 24814 On a Mac, should I be able to navigate though my recordings by clicking on these green/red tiles? It seems to work properly on a PC however no matter what version viewer use I can't jump to a different date/hour/minute by clicking on the tiles, I can only select by clicking on the files in the white box on the right .. annoying ..

Hi Ian,
Never tried this on mine before, but yes, I can click on one of the tiles and then press play and the viewer jumps to whichever part of the clip was selected and starts playing.
Viewer version is 1.41 by the way...

Hi BlackVue Aus,
Appreciate the reply, but wouldn't making your own SD cards be uneconomical from a business perspective? It is however, good, that you take the time to test and include known working SD cards if your customers desire them. Can remove a few headaches for folks that just want a 'one box solution' ;-)

Hi, we don't manufacture our own cards, and neither does BlackVue or any other dash cam manufacturer. However, BlackVue does make very large qty orders from makers of certain SD cards and they request their specifications at the time.

Nothing wrong with Macs, still far more stable than platforms running Billy Sh1te! I was a fan of Windows for a long long time, but having used a Mac for over 5 years now, there's no way I'd go back!

I currently use both. PC at home Mac at work.

I spent $1500 on my pc setup. Company spent 3k each for their 20 computers. All mac does is LAG. My boss regretted upgrading the office to Macs.

On our previous setup, it took maybe 30 minute to render a 5 min maya animation. On the Mac, we have to leave it run overnight. By the time we come back to the office, it finally finishes rendering. lol

And yes, some videos won't play on Macs. We have to convert it and then it plays. Which is double the freaking work. Garbage.

Back