Blurry unreadable license plates

Digital_Dad

Reaction score
Country
United States
Twice I have needed to use the footage from the camera to identify a license plate and neither time could I read it, I have the camera set to high bit rate 1080 60 fps and still my footage is terrible quality. I have tried to use VLC and I bought the Dashcam Viewer software and the images are blurry and unusable?

You will have to post a bit of video or a frame grab so that we can see what you are talking about.
The A129 can give very clear images in good lighting conditions, without seeing an image we haven't got a clue what the issue is...
Is it an A129 or A129 Duo?

You will have to post a bit of video or a frame grab so that we can see what you are talking about.
The A129 can give very clear images in good lighting conditions, without seeing an image we haven't got a clue what the issue is...
Is it an A129 or A129 Duo?

A129 single cam. Any suggestions on how to share the video? What site to share it on, I tried to attach it here but it says it is too large at 82 mb. I used Microsoft Photos to trim it to just the part I needed. And I am trying to use vimeo to share it so you can see it too. Clip of car illegally passing me

Any suggestions on how to share the video? What site to share it on, I tried to attach it here but it says it is too large at 82 mb. I used Microsoft Photos to trim it to just the part I needed. And I am trying to use vimeo to share it so you can see it too. Clip of car illegally passing me
People normally use YouTube to share video, doesn't give perfect quality but it should show us what we a talking about. A framegrab is also useful since it will easily show us original quality without needing a huge download. A framegrab on it's own may do.

People normally use YouTube to share video, doesn't give perfect quality but it should show us what we a talking about. A framegrab is also useful since it will easily show us original quality without needing a huge download. A framegrab on it's own may do.
Were you able to watch the video using the link I shared on my last post/reply? Clip of car illegally passing me

Were you able to watch the video using the link I shared on my last post/reply? Clip of car illegally passing me
No, but I can now :)

I can't read the plate, not sure if that is due to a slow internet download link though.

Do you have wifi turned on? If so turn it off except for when you want to use the connection, having it on reduces the bitrate and thus quality.
And is this a file off the SD card, or one you obtained from wifi playback?
Also possible that some detail has got lost in Microsoft Photos, I'm not familiar with using that application.

WiFi is off, this is directly from the SD card. And that is at full quality as it looks no different than the original video.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

What site to share it on, I tried to attach it here but it says it is too large at 82 mb
Put the video on GoogleDisk, Dropbox, with this exchanger you can download video without losing quality
You can cut video without losing quality RegistratorViewer (Datakam pleer)

I think one of the issues is you are in a bus and seated much higher than the white car. So from an angle perspective, while you are theoretically close enough to see the plate, you are looking down on it at an angle which makes it hard to read. If you were in a passenger car and your cam were mounted lower the view of the plate might have been better. Maybe you can consider repositioning the camera to 3/4's up from the base of the windshield if that is legal in your state and does not interfere with your field or vision or distract your driving.

For me is like you are recording with Low Bitrate setting.

enjoy,
Mtz

Here is the file on Google Drive, make sure you view it in 1080p, I have to keep changing t it from 720p to 1080p when I play the video in the Google Drive Player..

Here is the link: Car Illegally Passing File

really need to see the original, Vimeo or YouTube reduce the bitrate to 4MB or lower when they re-encode the video

I have uploaded the video to my google drive for you to view.

For me is like you are recording with Low Bitrate setting.

enjoy,
Mtz
I have uploaded the video to my google drive for you to view. The link is in my post above.

You do not need to watch a regular Google player, you need to download a video, then watch it on your PC with any player.
P.S. It is necessary to original video, without processing in the editors.

This is the best that was possible:

Frame 2018.11.17 08-33-18 (0-00-01.082).jpg

Last edited:
better to upload the original file, or at least cut it with something that doesn't otherwise re-encode the video or mess with the properties
Like what? What program doesn't mess with the quality of the video when trimming it?

Like what? What program doesn't mess with the quality of the video when trimming it?

Avidemux and Registrator Viewer are two options.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D A129 / 129 Duo 12