BMW driver dangerous driving ????

Jimbo

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Lukas LK-7900 Ace
Would this be classed as dangerous driving ok Im only doing 50 mph dropping to take a corner but the speed he shot off to.

I would say it was dangerous due to the state of the road on the corner, rear wheel drive cars and farm mud don't go well together!

The overtake of you I don't see any issue with, although the difference in speed seems like more than 13mph so I suspect if we measured the white lines and worked out his speed accurately then he would be a little above the speed limit.

The overtake of the car in front was started before the warning signs for the corner and slow and if he knew the road then I guess he knew he could see far enough to stay safe, there does appear to be good visibility around the corner once he was part passed the other car and he could see far enough to start the pass as long as he was prepared to back off if necessary, he already had enough speed to get passed in a short time.

You went round the corner at 42mph, so he was allowed to do 43% more than you, even if he had stuck to the speed limit he would have been able to disappear fairly quickly.

If he had tried it in an average car then yes, I would think it was dangerous but it wasn't an average car and you shouldn't judge its capabilities by the capabilities of your own car. For me the biggest issue is that had the road been a bit wetter then that mud on the corner combined with rear wheel drive would have caught him out and his relatively heavy car could have caused some serious damage to other road users.

If you report it to the police then I doubt they would do anything, the only thing they could get him for would be speeding and that would take some effort to prove.

not needed overtaking for sure, some ( 99% of BMW owners ) just cant drive behind another car no matter what speed it do.

Not sure I'd go as far as dangerous... definitely careless

Yes. It was dangerous. From the moment he passed you he was unable to see around the bend due to the trees/bushes to see if it was safe to overtake the car in front of you.
If an identical situation had been happening around the bend but coming your way, there would have been a bad collision.

Typical "I'll just assume it's safe and go for it" mentality. Just because it's a quiet road and 99% of the time he can get away with it, that doesn't make it safe.

But if you're asking if it's worth reporting, I'd say no, the police would almost certainly take no action.

Yes. It was dangerous. From the moment he passed you he was unable to see around the bend due to the trees/bushes to see if it was safe to overtake the car in front of you.
If an identical situation had been happening around the bend but coming your way, there would have been a bad collision.
Watching it again, he could see for more than twice the distance he used to get past, and that means he could see that there wouldn't be a collision as long as someone coming the other way wasn't going even faster. Note that he stayed out for longer than necessary so that he could turn into the bend more gently.

He couldn't see what was behind those trees. Maybe a tractor about to move on to the road?*
Nor could he see if anything was coming out of that access road to the complex on the right, conveniently placed right on the bend.
It was just a stupid place to overtake. If he'd waited just a little he could have overtaken in complete safety. But no. Arriving a few seconds sooner is more important than safety to such people.

*Speaking of which (warning, bad language)...

Last edited:
Back