BMW Road Rages (or Crash For Cash?) against a 40 Ton Truck. (DashCam captures all as usual)

The guy got exactly what he deserved. Hope the cops viewed the video

Sorry to tell you that it's a preventable accident. If you get some hotdog cutting you off and do not take your foot off of the accelerator then they will rule against the driver of the tractor. The driver of the BMW will get a citation for reckless driving and will have to pay for the damages to the tractor but the driver will still be culpable for improper driving as well.

Always turn the sound off so that they can't hear the accelerator.

Sorry to tell you that it's a preventable accident. If you get some hotdog cutting you off and do not take your foot off of the accelerator then they will rule against the driver of the tractor. The driver of the BMW will get a citation for reckless driving and will have to pay for the damages to the tractor but the driver will still be culpable for improper driving as well.

Don't understand this; surely you don't expect a 40 tonne truck to be able to stop as fast as a BMW?

The last bit may look like the truck wasn't trying to stop but I don't think that was the case, by that point it's brakes would have been extremely hot!

When i saw the clip first i was assuming more was piling up in the rear of the truck, and knowing the trucks and ther maintance level its hard to stop any faster.

I saw a cop pogram here where they targted Eastern EU truckers, not only do they drive illigally here but the state of every truck and or trailer was so bad not 1 was allowed to drive more.

Truckers from the East have more or less killed the Danish trucking industry, and nobody does anything about it as we are all pretty apathetic and scared of confrontations.

Reactions: jhm

I completely disagree with this analysis. First, this was not a "preventable accident". The BMW driver clearly cutoff the truck and slammed on his brakes for no valid reason (e.g. not because traffic ahead was stopped). I also don't hear the truck accelerating before or after the collision; he is clearly trying to slow/stop the truck.

BMW driver at fault and should be cited, end of story. (Too bad the truck driver didn't pull out his Russian beating stick and pummel the BMW driver, because he would have deserved that, too.)

I watched the video again and here is what I think happened. Over here trucks are limited to 10 kmh less than cars. Notice all the cars passing the truck on the left? As the truck passes under the overpass there is a merge lane ahead and a slower truck ahead so he looks for a gap and moves over. I would bet that the BMW was not far behind the 3 cars that pass on the left before the truck pulls over into the left lane. Do not know how far back the BMW was or if the truck signalled or not. BMW is now pissed off and decides to show his anger by brake checking the truck. Trucks do not slow down as fast as cars and a crash ensues.
I have driven smaller trucks (23 ft box) and know how difficult it can be when dealing with cars, so I tend to give trucks some room. If I were where the BMW driver was I would have understood what the truck driver was doing and given him the move. I might not have liked it but then I have been in a truck so I understand, most people do not have the same point of view.

Have set in on conference calls for driver related accidents with commercial trucks. Most companies take the position that all accidents are preventable. That is the standard view of the trucking industry and as soon as the BMW pulled in front of the tractor the driver should have taken steps to establish a safe following distance. It is unlikely that the police would site the driver but that is only due to the dash cam. His company would have seen that footage and immediately asked why he did not establish the correct following distance. I know that it's not fair but I have items on my DAC report that ended up there due to companies that take what they like to call a proactive safety approach. If they can show that they are reporting their drivers for accidents then they get incentives from the insurance company and state regulators.

From what I could see in the video, it took about 1 second for the BMW to swerve in front of the truck and apply his brakes. There seemed to be a noise a half second later, which I would guess to be application of the truck's brakes, then impact occurs roughly a half second later. I suspect that even if the trucker could react immediately, the impact would still not have been avoidable given the BMW's rate of deceleration. Even after the first impact, the BMW driver still does not understand that the truck cannot decelerate at that rate and continues to force additional collisions.

There is still the question of whether the trucker had cut off the BMW driver just prior to the incident, which could also make the trucker guilty of an unsafe lane change, but only the drivers involved can answer that question.

KuoH

His company would have seen that footage and immediately asked why he did not establish the correct following distance.

I have had people cross the centerline to hit my truck in a merge and had it ruled a preventable accident. The world of transportation is very critical of driver actions. I have had been fortunate in my driving career and not had many traffic citations but if you are in an accident it is normally seen as being preventable. The police will look at footage and having a dash camera can save you the trouble of getting a citation for something that you are not a fault for but when it comes to your company (who can add items to your DAC report) they are more likely to find you guilty of a driving infraction.

The joker who drove a foot and a half into my lane and hit my truck was cited for wreckless driving by the police but my company still deemed it a preventable accident.

"A preventable accident"? Well in theory all "accidents" are preventable if all road users make an effort to.
But when one driver makes a deliberate and unnecessary action against another that is obviously an unsafe, well, that is clearly the person in the wrong and laws are there to deal them.
As has been mentioned, there was only a second between the BMW moving in front of the truck and then hitting the brakes. Clearly not enough time to re-establish a safe distance. Nor should the truck driver be expected to have done anything because the BMW driver would have quickly opened up a safe distance had he not decided to brake check the truck. Just stupid. And yes, deserved a smashed BMW for such stupidity.

.The joker who drove a foot and a half into my lane and hit my truck was cited for wreckless driving by the police but my company still deemed it a preventable accident.
Your company (and any other that thinks this way) has its collective you know what ups its you know where; not every accident is avoidable. But as you pointed out they do it to keep their insurance low and gain points with the regulators, which is just wrong in my opinion (and we know what an opinion is worth) It is very easy, in hindsight sitting in a room far from the road, to say that you could have avoided an accident by doing this or that. The reality is that in the split seconds that things sometimes happen in, in the real world, we do not have the luxury of weighing all the possibilities before making a decision.

interesting video.

my armchair opinion,

truck driver wanted to get over as the box truck in front of it was going too slow. truck driver could have slowed down much further back, especially as traffic was merging to its right.

the tractor was too close to the little box truck. the safety cushion the truck must maintain was much too small in regards to the little truck.

had the tractor slowed down more, maintained its safety cushion, staying in its lane and not the passing lane, the bmw would have passed and all would have been fine.

totally preventable. tractor driver did not use best judgement. next is to examine driver logs and time resting. i would ASSume drivers over there can only have so many road hours per day as its done in the US no?

There are a lot of comments in that video. You can use Google Page Translator and see what people are saying. For me it looks like cash for crash especially when the BMW driver stomps on the breaks a second time in a row. Scamming is very common in Russia, UK and China.

It's all too easy to watch a clip where you know exactly what is going to happen and when - and a second seems to last twice as long.
But in the real world, the driver is looking round at a hundred things. When the idiot cuts in front, you've got to make a thousand calculations in your head based on speed, how well the vehicle stops, what's alongside you etc etc.
That one second on the clip is gone in half that time in the real world.
We also have the benefit of hindsight, we can watch the clip, pause, playback at half speed, frame by frame etc. The driver does not have that luxury.

Back