Boston snowstorm - driving past crash scene

And here our cherry blossoms are flowering. What a difference.:)

Here's a photo I just took this week from my neighborhood.
(Almond tree)

cIqvgmql.jpg

hehe yeah the small flowers here witch normally signal winter is over have popped out long time ago.

vinterg%C3%A6k_316x214.jpg

Galanthus & the yellow Eranthis

And here our cherry blossoms are flowering.
Since we live in the same area, as I was enjoying the cherry trees along the side of the road (stuck in traffic yesterday), I started wondering if the blossoms will last longer this year-- flowers seem to last longer in cold weather (that's why flower shops have refrigerated cases), so perhaps we'll get an extended flower season? One can always hope.

At any rate, the ornamental cherry tree in my backyard hasn't started to bloom yet. It suffered from an aphid infestation last year, so the tree's a bit weak. Did you know that ants carry aphids into trees, so that they can harvest the aphids' sticky sweet residue? I think I managed to get the ants last year, so hopefully the tree will get stronger this year.

Since we live in the same area, as I was enjoying the cherry trees along the side of the road (stuck in traffic yesterday), I started wondering if the blossoms will last longer this year-- flowers seem to last longer in cold weather (that's why flower shops have refrigerated cases), so perhaps we'll get an extended flower season? One can always hope.

At any rate, the ornamental cherry tree in my backyard hasn't started to bloom yet. It suffered from an aphid infestation last year, so the tree's a bit weak. Did you know that ants carry aphids into trees, so that they can harvest the aphids' sticky sweet residue? I think I managed to get the ants last year, so hopefully the tree will get stronger this year.

Was driving along E22 ave today. Cherry Blossoms are in full bloom and lots are on the ground already.
I was from the tropics. Malaysia, you should see the ants we have there but we have ways of eliminating them. Cheap drastic ways :eek:.

Cheap drastic ways :eek:.
I'm imagining fire.

My way's a bit simpler-- 1 part Borax powder (in the laundry aisle at Safeway), 3 parts white sugar. Mix together. Set it out near the ants' nest, or just out there where ants are a problem. Lots of ants will show up over the next few hours. Then there will be none!

Carpenter ants are tougher, though. Sometimes they take the borax with sugar, other times not-- either mixing it with milk or tahini or peanut butter has worked those times.

Thinking about E 22nd, on Tuesday and Wednesday this week, the afternoon traffic was unbelievable on north-south routes in East Van. Then yesterday, it was like everybody took the day off. I was confused, but happy to have one of my quickest commutes home in a long time. Any idea what happened?

C N Y I guess.

Back