Brick by Extension Cable for back camera

DarioB

Reaction score
Country
Italy
Dash Cam
Mini 0906, Mini 0805 , B1W
Hello, I bought an extension cable from aliexpress, and today I installed it.
When connected, the front unit started to change continously resolution and to freeze.
I checked the new cable and was ok (no short, resistence below 1ohm).
The camera worked without extension.
Why? How can I fix it? Thanks!!!

It could be the wire in the cable is too small to provide the needed current. It's a common problem with extension cables. 24ga wires or larger tend to work best. You should also avoid those which use CCA wires which can degrade over time- solid copper wires won't do that. I've been using a Belkin 2m USB extension cable for about 5 years with many different cams and no problems. Not cheap but well worth the price!

Phil

It could be the wire in the cable is too small to provide the needed current. It's a common problem with extension cables. 24ga wires or larger tend to work best. You should also avoid those which use CCA wires which can degrade over time- solid copper wires won't do that. I've been using a Belkin 2m USB extension cable for about 5 years with many different cams and no problems. Not cheap but well worth the price!

Phil
Thanks for your reply. I tought could be a power issue, but the cable has a resistence below 1ohm. Assuming rear camera use 200mA, the drop will be less than 0.2V. Tested with a electronic load, we are still above 4V (don't know what could be a critical voltage). If it's only a power problem, I could use an external power suorce. I already run the cable disassembling all the car, I would like to know what cause this issue (interferences?(the cable should be shielded) low power?(we have more than 4v) ) and maybe solve it without rerouting the cable.

I don't know the critical voltage of the 0906 either, only that the problem can happen with smaller-gauge wires which are the usual in USB extension cables. I've experienced it myself which is why I had to buy the Belkin cable I use.

Part of this problem lies in the design specs for USB which originally was meant to carry no more than 500mA@5VDC. Many USB powering devices still cling to that old standard which is inadequate for dashcams at start-up, and for most 2-channel cams which use more power than that in their normal operation. Most of today's in-car factory USB ports still don't have the needed juice for dashcams which I cannot understand why because many of today's USB powered gadgets require that extra current.

Before you go pulling the car apart for another cable, try a fully charged powerbank as input to the extension cable. If that works then you may only need a better PS for the cam. A PS by Viofo or Street Guardian would be my recommendation in that case, as these are built to a more robust electrical level compared to most others.

Phil

it's not a power issue, you can't extend the cable, suggest rerouting it if you haven't taken the shortest path

Yikes! Jokiin is right- camera cables cannot be extended :(

I made the mistake of thinking you were speaking of USB extension for powering the cam, not connecting rear cam to front. I just realized that after reading the thread title again- how did I miss that when you made it so clear? :eek:

My apologies for any misleading I've done, and thanks to Jokiin for getting me straightened out!

Phil

it's not a power issue, you can't extend the cable, suggest rerouting it if you haven't taken the shortest path
It's a long car, I am not sure cable's lenght could be enough.
Howevere the cable it's usb/8pin. It's power and signal video? I have a powersource, I could amplify if needed...

It's a question of the data signal- it will become unreadable over any distances longer than the supplied cable. I'm not sure that amplification will solve this since the pinouts may be different compared to normal USB usage.

The only certain solution is to either move things to where the supplied cable will work or to get a cam which has a long enough cable. The A129 and Street Guardian SG9663DC come with a 6M cable and there is an 8M cable available for both. The K2S has a 6M rear cable and a 4M cable for the front giving a possible total of 10M separation between cam modules. AFAIK these are the longest distances to be had in good quality dashcams. The Aukey DR 03 might also be an option but I couldn't find a cable length for it.

Wish I had better news for you,

Phil

It's a long car, I am not sure cable's lenght could be enough.
Howevere the cable it's usb/8pin. It's power and signal video? I have a powersource, I could amplify if needed...
it's 10 pin and you can't extend it

it's 10 pin and you can't extend it
I'm sure it'8, however I understan can be problem run a longer cable.
Iwill check for another routein the ceiling, however there are airbags so could be a doungerous solution, and require extracting the routed cable.
If on that cables are (for example) power, pal signal, enable signal or similar, I could't just amplify(I'have all the needed space and a power supply)?

just run the cable through the roof and behind any airbags, that's how we do it all day, unless you're driving a minibus the cable should be long enough, forget trying to extend it or amplify anything, not going to work

the transfered signal is LVDS it can;t be amplified easily
there is official 8.5m cable for the special users you may try that. the default 6m cable works for most users.
we tested the LVDS signal will start lose if the cable longer than 9 meter.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C mini0906 7
N mini0906 28
Back