Buying a cam with good park mode to monitor any movement around my van.

steveeeee5

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi ,
Would appreciate advice on choosing a cam with a park mode that lets me leave the vehicle unattended for days at a time. I have a camper van with leisure batteries so cam would be permanently wired to them. I want a cam that can pickup any movement around the van day or night and record it. Also I think there could be a choice in the way I record, be it continuous at low res or higher res on movement detection. Not sure which would be best. I am in the UK.

Tks
Steve.

Welcome to the forum.
If you use motion detect the camera would probably record all the time, generally it is very sensitive so any little movement in front of the camera would set it off.
Alternative many dashcams now offer low bitrate recording, it also record all the time but at a lesser bitrate, meaning smaller files and less heat generated in the camera + lesser power consumption too VS motion detect that trigger a lot / all the time and record full bitrate.
2 if you want to have footage going back days, you should at least have a 256GB card in there, and bigger would not hurt, so make sure the system support those sizes ( not many officially support 512GB cards )

The dual channel 1080p system i have in my car record 350 MB large files when driving ( 3 minute ) but when parked the low bitrate 3 minute files are just 128 MB in size.
BUT ! thats just for one of the 2 cameras so in total 256MB every 3 minutes, so that is 5120 MB / 5.12GB every hour and so +120GB every 24 hours.
Motion detect that record a lot / all the time would be a lot more footage size wise.
Alternative you can use G-sensor that only record if the vehicle are bumped, but that require a bump, someone leaning against it will probably not set it off.
You can have G-sensor on alongside low bitrate parking mode, to lock any actual events, the low bitrate footage are treated as regular footage, so when the card are full the oldest stuff will get deleted to make room for more stuff.

Day or night,,,,,,, thats fine if there are some light at night, otherwise the camera will just film darkness, there is also the challenge of rain / dew on the windows that will in some degree obscure footage.

Hi ,
thanks for the welcome. Let me explain a little more my problems. One issue I have is someone trying car door handles in the middle of the night to check if unlocked. So would like to get an image of this person. The other problem is someone letting their dog mess outside my house, I would like to get an image of this person also.
Regarding " thats fine if there are some light at night, otherwise the camera will just film darkness " but there are models with night vision technology though right ?

You also stat." If you use motion detect the camera would probably record all the time " If someone walks past vehicle every 15 minutes surely this is not a lot of MB ?

Back