Help buying first dash cam

mrpaulo

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am looking for a dashcam for my 22 Bolt EV. The Bolt has a large plastic housing behind the rear view mirror so I would like a small form factor, but with lots of features. I would like a front and rear camera with a good 4k front camera and at least 1080 in the rear. Not sure what else I would like/need - capacitor maybe? I initially looked at Redtiger F7NP or Vantrue S1, but not sure either one has a true 4k. I would like to keep it at $200 or less. Any suggestions?

VIOFO A119 Mini 2 is worth checking out. It is small and has the latest Starvis 2 sensor that gets more detail at night. It has the capacitor built in.

Welcome to the forum mrpaulo.

You will not yet find a system ( 2 channel ) with 4K cameras both front and rear, but in 1440p you can do that just fine.
The sensor housing you have they do add a little to the "challenge" of selecting and installing a dashcam system.
Some have mounted on the actual housing and then just have the lens peek out below it, this way only the lens are visible, so that is just 1/3 or maybe 1/2 of the cameras footprint. BUT ! i think most that have done this have done so with one of the wedge shaped systems.
But you will need that part of the housing to be fairly flat to have enough surface for the mounting tape to grip onto.
Alternative, you could put ( glue ) a strong magnet on the inside of the sensor housing plastic where you like to mount the dashcam. and then on the cameras mount put a piece of sheet metal for the magnet to grip onto ( it would also be a idea to maybe have a thin rubber on the metal plate to increase the friction against the otherwise "slippery" plastic )

I have myself for years used a neodymium magnet to hold a rear camera in place on the metal rear hatch on my dirt cheap little Japanese 5 door hatchback.

The other option are to mount offset to a side of the sensor housing, this is also possible though you have to go a little out from the sensor housing to not have part of it in frame with the wide angle lenses all dashcams use.

To get ideas you can browse the picture heavy " where did you mount your dashcam " thread. https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/where-did-you-mount-the-camera-post-your-pictures.502/page-66

Back