Buying from Gearbest

Daniel Tate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, If I was to buy one now, would I likely be sent out one from the latest manufactured batch? How would I know once received? I have a G1W-C that is sufficient for now, but I can then put that at the rear when I buy this, mainly due to the good quality night footage i'd be buying this.

Thanks

It's according to who you buy from. Most or all of the seller's recommended here will be selling the latest version which will likely be from the newest batch or two. But you could wind up with an older version or even a fake buying elsewhere.

The night-time vid capability of these cams is not rated as very good; there are better cams for that but those cost a lot more. In comparison to other cams in this price range the G1Wc holds it's own or outperforms the others in this regard. Rear cams can generally be lesser cams as the action you'll need to see will be close-in so unless you need the best you can use it for that purpose and it should serve you well there. The only downside I can think of is that the start-up screen cannot be turned off so it will show for the minimum of 3 minutes on start-up, and that could be rather distracting at night- but nothing that a piece of thick tape couldn't fix ;)

Phil

It's according to who you buy from. Most or all of the seller's recommended here will be selling the latest version which will likely be from the newest batch or two. But you could wind up with an older version or even a fake buying elsewhere.

The night-time vid capability of these cams is not rated as very good; there are better cams for that but those cost a lot more. In comparison to other cams in this price range the G1Wc holds it's own or outperforms the others in this regard. Rear cams can generally be lesser cams as the action you'll need to see will be close-in so unless you need the best you can use it for that purpose and it should serve you well there. The only downside I can think of is that the start-up screen cannot be turned off so it will show for the minimum of 3 minutes on start-up, and that could be rather distracting at night- but nothing that a piece of thick tape couldn't fix ;)

Phil
Thanks, I might buy it from Gearbest then, is there a way to tell from what batch it is without opening it up? perhaps firmware info? Also the rating for night recording on this is "good" ....which is why i'm looking at this over the mobius c2 which is average rating for night time. This dashcam seems to be the best quality for it's price. For a dashcam that's a little more what would you suggest? thanks.

I have both a Mobius and the G1Wc; the night-time video from either is about the same. Compared to the Street Guardian or some of the better Korean cams there is quite a difference with night-time vids. If it matters a lot to you, view the videos posted for each cam you're interested in and see if you will be satisfied with it's capability.

I think the Mobius is a better cam because of it's smaller size, better build quality, and adaptability of user-controlled settings. But it usually ships with just the cam holder so you'll have to add a power supply, mount, and power cable. The G1W series has more unresolvable problems reported here in comparison but comes complete for plug-and-play. A good G1W cam will not disappoint for the money; the problem is the luck of the draw in getting a good one. The most current Mobius wide-angle lens model had the C2 lens- look for that specifically.

With any dashcam, the night vids are very poor compared to what you see on TV broadcasts and movies. Part of the issue is that dashcams use an IR cut filter built onto the lens to cut daytime glare, and that filter degrades night vids. Another reason is that the small consumer-grade CMOS in dashcams do not have the light-gathering capability professional cams do. The situation is improving slowly with technological advances but for now no dashcam does well with this. "Average", "Good", and "Very Good" are comparative terms only based on what we currently have available to us. You don't get what you don't pay for and that really shows with night vids and dashcams!

Phil

I think the Mobius is a better cam because of it's smaller size, better build quality, and adaptability of user-controlled settings. But it usually ships with just the cam holder so you'll have to add a power supply, mount, and power cable. The G1W series has more unresolvable problems reported here in comparison but comes complete for plug-and-play. A good G1W cam will not disappoint for the money; the problem is the luck of the draw in getting a good one. The most current Mobius wide-angle lens model had the C2 lens- look for that specifically.

would take the Mobius over the G1W in a heartbeat

What are you guys talking about? My question is relating to the Mini 0806 and Mobius C2. The Mini 0806 has a better rating of night time recording and same daytime rating. When I mentioned a G1W-C that I have, i made it clear i'd be keeping it for maybe rear cam use lol.

if you want to buy an 0806 best to buy it from a local supplier, it's an unsupported product, buying locally at least offers some level of service

My apologies! I guess I kind of got wrapped up in the second part of your OP and forgot which forum I was on and the first part of your post. From what I've read only, the 0806 has some 'teething" problems that are being worked out, and you'd do well to research that before buying. I'll shut up now!

Phil

Back