Buying in the UK, reliability & branding

Mark_C

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking at buying an 0806, can I take it that the early reliability problems are solved with newer versions ? or is it still going to be a lottery on having a good or dead unit in 6 months ?

Just to make it even more difficult I want to buy from amazon to use up vouchers I have. I'd prefer to avoid the Chinese sellers in case there are problems

HDDashcam have an amazon account and it seems a pretty good reputation here, but don't have any 806's for sale via amazon. They do have an 0826 but I'd rather not be guinea pig if its going to be like the early 806s, or is it worth a punt ? I saw a thread at the top of this forum about the 826, but other than that there is little information out there on it.

I have found a UK Seller on amazon called UK Digital Bay who are in Cardiff. Their 806 unit is branded as NXET (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B00UX9C75O)

Can't find anything by the NXET brand name, note that it says the camera is "by" Digi4U but sold by UK Digital Bay, who have the same address in Cardiff as https://www.digi4u.co.uk, the camera is on their site: https://www.digi4u.co.uk/mini-0806-256gb-a7-a7la50-1296p-gps-ambarella-car-security-cam-dash-camera/ that I presume is going onder the Ambarella brand ?

The other option is there are a couple of other sellers (Monkon and Tukzer) that are Chinese that use amazon to fulfill the orders, so I wonder if the item will ship from the uk or if amazon will ship from overseas? Presumably if i had to return it I deal with amazon, not the selling company ?

Thanks for any help

Hi Mark

It is pretty hit and miss with these cameras so best buy local. Digi4u has been around since 2011 so that offers some comfort. Buying from Amazon offers more and if you read the reviews someone is on their third camera so that does suggest the company works with you. The camera does go under different names.

I see in one photo the red led is centre, I think that may indicate a later batch as originally I believe the top light was red and indicated charging which is now blue. No guarantee of what you will receive though.

Great when they work, I would get another (I think!).

Last edited:
One of the main problems of mini-series dashcams is the lipo battery.
Manufacturer is going to release soon a new model/s with super capacitor.

I bought mine from 3C4U fulfilled by AmazonUK. Mainly so I could get it delivered to an Amazon locker. It came very quickly, seems to be the latest version, the battery is good (records 12 minutes) and the price was cheaper than ebay
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B00UFQEVIG

if you’re going to get it from Amazon (as I did with my first 0805) get it “fulfilled by Amazon” this way Amazon take the hit if it isn’t working, as I had to return my first 0805 as it was out of focus, had no issue from Amazon taking it back, and they paid the return postage too, all with in the 30 days, an as others have said, get it local, might cost a few quid more but a lot easier than trying to return it to China if it packs up

I bought my first from 3C4U, fulfilled by Amazon, but there was a GPS issue so I sent it back. Returns were completely painless and all I had to do is package it up again and drop it at a local shop. After that I gambled a bit and went for an import from Blueskysea. It took around nine days to arrive, and included a CPL, but I've had no issues with that one at all.

Basically it seems that it is still a gamble over whether you get one of the good ones. I want to get another one for my wife's car and I still have no idea they best way to purchase.

Thanks for the help all.

Must admit the reliability problems are seriously putting me off the 80x range. Could go with a mobius but has no gps and the lack of a screen is a downside too.

Other than that not sure where to look, the other cameras seem a lot less popular and image quality etc isn't as good.

Lots of talk over mini models with batteries being replaced by capacitors, but no sign of any products yet.

Thanks for the help all.

Could go with a mobius but has no gps and the lack of a screen is a downside too.

If you like the möbius form factor check out the new JooVuu-X super-HD wifi camera. You can aim the screenless lens using your smart phone. GPS is optionally plugged in-line with the mini-USB power cord.

Last edited:
Everyone in the EU would get 2 years warranty these days wouldn't they?

Everyone in the EU would get 2 years warranty these days wouldn't they?

Nope, UK law on this overrides EU law. I've written an article on this in the past but I'll write another one explaining it. It's why places like Nikon, Sony, Pentax, Canon etc only offer 1 year warranties and then like international warranties.

It's a real quagmire.

Kind regards,

JooVuu

The UK law goes up to 6 years but they have to prove the fault - it is messy though. I half expect the EU law to trump it at some point - don't you have to give two years to all EU sales though or is that just if it's sold from another EU country?

Back