Buying multiple cameras for multiple needs seems wasteful

teddoman

Reaction score
It seems to me there are 3 needs for car cameras:
1. Front and rear parking assistance
2. Accident recording
3. Recording while parked (recording for anti-theft or non-moving accident)

It seems like you have to buy a separate set of cameras for each of these functionalities. As a new owner, I'm just wondering why I have to buy parking cameras, and then on top of that, I also have to buy dash cams to get accident information, all to get what seems to be roughly similar video information. Why isn't there a way to integrate these two video requirements into a single product?

Why are dash cams for recording accidents separate from front or rear parking cameras that are mounted on the license plate or grill of the car? I understand that in an accident, an externally mounted camera would be destroyed, but couldn't a separate DVR simply be installed in the interior cabin of the car to record the video from the front and rear parking cameras? Does an accident camera have to be mounted high up to give a useful vantage point for recording what happens in an accident? Would a low mounted parking camera provide an equal amount of information? Seems like a waste of money buying so many cameras for overlapping functionality.

One issue seems to be when the cameras are recording data. Parking cameras are set to turn on when the car is moving (e.g. in reverse). Accident cameras are on when the car is moving only. Theft cameras are on when the car isn't moving. Couldn't you have a camera set up to be always on and always recording? It would probably be wise if it supported a higher memory card like 64 GB, or had two slots for 32 GB cards.

It seems like cameras should be designed so that the monitor and the memory card slots should be separate from the lens, connected by wire, and purchased separately, to allow more installation flexibility. Someone buying with anti-theft in mind would want to be able to place the SD cards in a secure location away from the camera itself, for example. Many cars have in car displays and a monitor may be a waste for some buyers. Etc.

Re: Buying multiple cameras for multiple needs seems wastefu

teddoman said:
It seems to me there are 3 needs for car cameras:
1. Front and rear parking assistance
2. Accident recording
3. Recording while parked (recording for anti-theft or non-moving accident)

It seems like you have to buy a separate set of cameras for each of these functionalities. As a new owner, I'm just wondering why I have to buy parking cameras, and then on top of that, I also have to buy dash cams to get accident information, all to get what seems to be roughly similar video information. Why isn't there a way to integrate these two video requirements into a single product?

Why are dash cams for recording accidents separate from front or rear parking cameras that are mounted on the license plate or grill of the car? I understand that in an accident, an externally mounted camera would be destroyed, but couldn't a separate DVR simply be installed in the interior cabin of the car to record the video from the front and rear parking cameras? Does an accident camera have to be mounted high up to give a useful vantage point for recording what happens in an accident? Would a low mounted parking camera provide an equal amount of information? Seems like a waste of money buying so many cameras for overlapping functionality.

One issue seems to be when the cameras are recording data. Parking cameras are set to turn on when the car is moving (e.g. in reverse). Accident cameras are on when the car is moving only. Theft cameras are on when the car isn't moving. Couldn't you have a camera set up to be always on and always recording? It would probably be wise if it supported a higher memory card like 64 GB, or had two slots for 32 GB cards.

It seems like cameras should be designed so that the monitor and the memory card slots should be separate from the lens, connected by wire, and purchased separately, to allow more installation flexibility. Someone buying with anti-theft in mind would want to be able to place the SD cards in a secure location away from the camera itself, for example. Many cars have in car displays and a monitor may be a waste for some buyers. Etc.

Actually there are such 4ch DVR systems but good ones cost fortune.
My favourite one I have for over 2 years is iCaro B4. Cost me about 1300 usd back then along with stupid customs tax ( now price dropped slightly ). It still the best 4ch dvr by built quality, strong firmware and multiply options. Drawback for modern time is D1 video quality per channel, but it still produces from 1-30fps x 4ch D1. I use it for monitoring purposes now and it does a good job. No need super-megapixel to guard around car 2-3m distance enough. Daytime can read numberplates 2-3m front / back / rear, but at night time is no good. If these days iCaro would make same system with all 4 cams 1080p / 30fps and other good specs, it would cost I guess 2K and for this money it is limited market.

Other interesting model with good ( on the paper ) specs is XDVR004

Read more info about specs here:

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/76378 ... plier.html

Anyway, there are no ready built mass production system that fits everybody's need, but those above mentioned are the closest to what you asked.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back