C1 auto record when start "Dashcam use"

Oh my word! I'm no good at making cables - I used to be but eyesight now no good.

If Innovv have not sent my order (earlier this week) - I might just cancel. This is always a problem of being an early adopter of technology.

BTW, will it cause damage if a non-Innovv cable is used - or will it just not work?

ANDREW (UK)
A non Innovv 8-pin USB cable will most likely destroy your camera. There is no standard here, so manufactures can connect the pins however they find suitable. There are lots of warnings about this, also on Chuck Lohr's site.

If what you say is true - I'm going to cancel my order. That's just crazy - Im a major contributor to a BMW forum in UK - and we were hoping for a Mobius replacement. I just can't afford plugging in the wrong mini/micro USB cable and damaging the camera.

Seriously disappointed...before I've started.

Why would any developer not adhere to the standard of mini-USB and micro-USB?

Finally on the Innovv website is clearly sates mini-USB - is this correct or is it actually micro-USB?

ANDREW (UK)

If what you say is true - I'm going to cancel my order. That's just crazy - Im a major contributor to a BMW forum in UK - and we were hoping for a Mobius replacement. I just can't afford plugging in the wrong mini/micro USB cable and damaging the camera.

Seriously disappointed...before I've started.

Why would any developer not adhere to the standard of mini-USB and micro-USB?

Finally on the Innovv website is clearly sates mini-USB - is this correct or is it actually micro-USB?

ANDREW (UK)
In all fairness to Innovv, they modified their specifications to state "8 pins with proprietary usb cable". The form of the plug is a mini, but it's 'different' than a 5-pin standard mini. It is also sometimes incorrectly called a micro.

Last edited:
Dear Jokiin,

Thank you - but as a non-technical person I have come across USB (Universal Serial Bus) USB Mini and USB Micro. I have a whole drawer full of different USB cables - but "Mini USB port, 8 pins with proprietary usb cable" is worrying to me.

How can I resolve this in the event that Innovv has sent my order?

For example can I use a USB extension cable (I have some of these) so as to use the C1 and C2 as a dashcam?

I am far from happy with Innovv I feel the specification is no clear at all for a layman.

Hopefully with the power of this forum, we can get a zero cost solution.

ANDREW (UK)

it's not a run of the mill cable, nothing in your drawer if regular mini or micro is going to plug in, some brand name cameras use the same plug type but as @Isoprop pointed out there is no agreed wiring standard for this format, so a Pentax cable might not work in an Innovv etc, the cables to suit are readily available through their site so it's not like it's not available, just it doesn't have the one you want, I don't know their business but can't hurt to ask if they could either swap the regular cable for the dashcam type or maybe throw some in for you on the deal, I think having both would be preferable though @RockThinking is the guy to ask, he's on here regularly and I've marked this post so he'll get notified

Im a major contributor to a BMW forum in UK - and we were hoping for a Mobius replacement.
Taking nothing away from the C1, what is making you and your buddies look for an alternative to the Mobius?

Dear Jokiin,

Thank you for the response - why not add $4 to the price and include the cable.

Furthermore, if the the dashcam cable does everything the non-dash cam does, why not include as standard?

When I ordered the C1 and C2 I was excited - now I feel like I've been conned, especially as I now know when I get these two cameras I can't use them as dashcams - pointless!

If as you say Innovv read these posts - I just hope as the very minimum they update their website to state "IF YOU NEED TO USE AS A DASCAM - ORDER A SPECIAL CABLE" - I would have done so.

ANDREW (UK)

Taking nothing away from the C1, what is making you and your buddies look for an alternative to the Mobius?
Nothing wrong with Mobius - but movement detection, a better looking unit (BMW drivers are vain) and a new updated gadget are three good reasons. However, if I had know about this using a proprietary cable I would have kept completely away.

I thought innovative manufacturers had moved away from non-standard (not withstanding Apple)

ANDREW (UK)

Dear Jokiin,

Thank you for the response - why not add $4 to the price and include the cable.

Furthermore, if the the dashcam cable does everything the non-dash cam does, why not include as standard?

When I ordered the C1 and C2 I was excited - now I feel like I've been conned, especially as I now know when I get these two cameras I can't use them as dashcams - pointless!

If as you say Innovv read these posts - I just hope as the very minimum they update their website to state "IF YOU NEED TO USE AS A DASCAM - ORDER A SPECIAL CABLE" - I would have done so.

ANDREW (UK)

to be fair I think they only just worked out this problem with the dashcam use as being a cable problem in the last few days, on that basis they might help you out with the cables (I couldn't say, but it can't hurt to ask), I know the dashcam cable has only been added to the site in the last couple of days and I'm sure it was prompted by this

if you want to use as a dashcam though I still think having both cables is better, do you really want to be pulling cables out of your car if you want to use the camera elsewhere, access from PC etc

in saying why not add $4 and include the cable, if that's the case why not just buy the cable ;) not everyone wants to use these for dashcam duties so may not appreciate paying more for something they don't want

Nothing wrong with Mobius - but movement detection, a better looking unit (BMW drivers are vain) and a new updated gadget are three good reasons. However, if I had know about this using a proprietary cable I would have kept completely away.

I thought innovative manufacturers had moved away from non-standard (not withstanding Apple)

ANDREW (UK)
I will say the C1 is good looking. Another issue posted might be the very flexible C1 mount that doesn't hold well
http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/innovv-c1-unboxing-and-first-look.3588/#post-41611

Oh BTW the new Mobius firmware has movement detection

Last edited by a moderator:
Dear Jokiin,

As a novice you don't know what you don't know - it would not hurt to add a comment anywhere on the Innovv website - to say "NOTE: if you wish to use this wonderful device as a dashcam, then you need to buy a XXXcable"

Furthermore, I don't think that they had different cables when I ordered on the 12th Jan, as I ordered a $3.99 which is another charging cable (DOH!).

ANDREW (UK)

it was only addressed in the last few days, if you ordered on the 12th it's likely already on the way so perhaps too late

tell them what happened and see if they'll look after you

They want to model themselves after Apple, just look at the design, inspired by earlier iPod nano's :rolleyes:
BTW motion detection is available in the latest Mobius FW. I use it daily as a dash cam in that mode and it works well in an urban environment.
I've said it before, a non standard cable is a no go for me, but others may see it an a minor issue so it's buyers choice.

it was only addressed in the last few days, if you ordered on the 12th it's likely already on the way so perhaps too late

tell them what happened and see if they'll look after you
I've emailed them earlier today...I'm not even sure 2m cable as advertised will be sufficient to go from the rear-view-mirror around the wind-shield to the power socket - how do I resolve this problem? could I use a standard USB to USB and then USB to C1 cable? (what a mess).

Standard cable is the way to go - I can but 5m, 3m and 2m cables off EBay - but not for Innovv C1 and C2.

Let's see what the folks at Innovv come back with - I think that's enough disappointment in one day - but if they have not sent the two cameras - I will 100% cancel.

Regards

ANDREW (UK)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm getting the feeling here that dashcam users are guinea-pigs - the Innovv website says 2m (i've just checked), whereas "RockThinking" (whoever that is) states 3m.

I feel that some transparency and clarity is required if Innovv are appealing to a non-technical audience who wish to use this lovely looking and functional device as a dashcam.

ANDREW (UK)

I'm getting the feeling here that dashcam users are guinea-pigs - the Innovv website says 2m (i've just checked), whereas "RockThinking" (whoever that is) states 3m.

"RockThinking" is the man on this board when it comes to Innovv.

I agree that the cable(s) issue should have been more clearly stated but, although inconvenient, it's not really a major problem. After all it is designed as an action cam using battery power and using it as a dash cam is a bonus. Just do what I did and order the dash cam cable ( I ordered 2) and if you want them really fast you can request express shipping.

Back