C2 not starting consistently

kps

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Dash Cam
F500LHD (front), Innovv C2 (rear)
I recently received my Innovv C2 (ordered direct from Innovv) and installed it in my rear window just over a week ago. After a week I looked at the results, and it has only been recording about half the time.

This past weekend I switched to a bigger charger (the one I am using now is a tablet charger marked 2100mA), and added an LC filter to make sure the power is clean, but this has not made any difference.

When I test it, about half the time, the camera starts recording as it should when the power is turned on. About half the time, the LED comes on red and stays solid red. In this case, the camera does not turn off when the power is turned off, and the Shutter and Mode buttons do nothing, but holding down the power button turns the camera off.

My c1config.bin file looks like this:
Code:
datetime=2014:05:25 23:37:05
videostamp=VA3TCS
datestamp=on
recordingindicator=on
poweronrecord=on
videosound=on
motiondetect=off
hz=60
continueshot=1
photosize=3m
gsensor=normal
autopoweroff=30s
saturation=normal
wb=normal
moviesize=1080p
selftime=off
ev=0
videocliplength=5min
tvmode=ntsc

RockThinking, if you are following this forum, I would be happy to collect debug logs or whatever else might help troubleshoot this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you tried another SD Card ? what brand do you use ??
Have you formatted the Card before use using SDformatter 4.0 ? ( dont use the quick format thats too easy it seem )
Have you done a reset on the camera ? ( there is a tiny hole under the SD slot where you can put somthing small thru to press reset button inside )
The reset button inside is only a fjew mm inside, so you dont need a long thing ( i use a 1 mm allen key but a needle or a paper clip will allso be good )

Thanks for the suggestions. I've now done an in-camera format, and a reset — it did start up, so I'll see how it goes tomorrow.

The card I'm using is a Kingston 16G Class 4.

Unfortunately the C2 did not start recording on the first try this morning.

The ritual of shutting off the car, going around to the back, opening the hatch, manually powering off the camera, and going back to try again, is not really something I'm eager to get into — particularly since a major reason I bought the Innovv camera is that the Mobius was known to have a problem with starting reliably.

The Novatek processor does have a WDT, so at worst you'd hope the camera would wake up after a few milliseconds and say to its little self, “Where am I? I'm a dashcam, and I'm not recording! I have one job to do!”

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you need to disable autopower off.

No luck. Didn't start on the first attempt this morning, and didn't start on the only attempt this evening.

I'm sorry to hear that you are having so much trouble. Are you sure that you are using the dashcam cable and not the USB cable?

Are you sure that you are using the dashcam cable and not the USB cable?
Absolutely; the dashcam cable, at least the 2m version I have, very plainly has two conductors. (With the USB cable, which I have kept at my computer indoors, the camera always goes into charging mode (yellow LED) as expected.)

There's the problem, mate. You don't want the camera in charging mode, you want it in recording mode (RED, slow blink.) Press the mode button one more time when the yellow led light is on to go into recording mode, and leave it like that. Now, every time you start the car the camera will be in recording mode.

Edit: There's one other thing that I wanted to mention. I'm curious as to why you have chosen to use a charger and not just a cigarette lighter/usb adapter.

Last edited:
try this...
Use tape and fasten your usb connector to C2 very well.

try this... Use tape and fasten your usb connector to C2 very well.
I don't think there's a problem with the cable being loose. It's supported and there's no tension on it, and the camera always starts up when the power is turned on… it's just that much of the time, it freezes with the LED solid red instead of starting to record.

There's the problem, mate. You don't want the camera in charging mode, you want it in recording mode (RED, slow blink.)
There, I was talking about connecting the camera into a computer with the USB cable. In that case, the camera works as expected: it charges (yellow LED), and when turned on, acts as a card reader (red LED). I've never had any trouble with that.
Edit: There's one other thing that I wanted to mention. I'm curious as to why you have chosen to use a charger and not just a cigarette lighter/usb adapter.
I am using a regular 12V-to-5V USB power adapter. The Innovv documentation uses the word ‘charger’, so I've done the same. I think I've ruled out power problems; I've connected a voltmeter to its second USB socket and it shows a perfectly steady 5V.

If no one else is having trouble like this, it's beginning to sound like I have a defective unit.

I don't think there's a problem with the cable being loose. It's supported and there's no tension on it, and the camera always starts up when the power is turned on… it's just that much of the time, it freezes with the LED solid red instead of starting to record.
There, I was talking about connecting the camera into a computer with the USB cable. In that case, the camera works as expected: it charges (yellow LED), and when turned on, acts as a card reader (red LED). I've never had any trouble with that.
I am using a regular 12V-to-5V USB power adapter. The Innovv documentation uses the word ‘charger’, so I've done the same. I think I've ruled out power problems; I've connected a voltmeter to its second USB socket and it shows a perfectly steady 5V.
If no one else is having trouble like this, it's beginning to sound like I have a defective unit.
I don't have any Innovv products, but from your explanation your camera "freezes" but you can still press the power button to turn the camera off. If this is the case, I don't think you have a hardware defect but rather there's a firmware issue. If the camera was "freezing" (in the true sense) the power button would have no effect. Only the reset button would reset the hardware and turn the camera off. You should definitely try another SD card to rule out the card as the problem - the older the better, even a 1GB no-class card from an old mobile phone should work fine.
Have you tried testing your camera on the workbench? I know that's easier said than done if you don't have a spare cable.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Yooshaw C1 / C2 3
Back