Calculating Recording Time on SD Card

johntee

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've just knocked together a little Microsoft Excel worksheet sheet that will allow you to work out the number of minutes / hours of recording available on a memory card. Download to your PC, enter the size in Gb & bit rate in Mbps.

NOTE: You may get a warning from Windows / Anti-virus software / and similar about this file can harm your computer when accessing the XL Worksheet. Believe me, it's clean as a whistle but scan it yourself for peace of mind.

It's available for download from my personal Box.net account on the link below. When the Microsoft Excel sheet open for viewing in Box.net, in the top right the is a large downward facing "ARROW", press that to copy the Microsoft Excel worksheet to your PC.

https://app.box.com/s/oibzl2rdjd275a7sqzql

Here's an image of the Excel Worksheet as downloadable from the above link.

2ng8xnp.jpg

Hope this helps

John in the UK

Last edited:
I never spotted it until recently and worked it all out in excel before too - mine was a mess though :)

I never spotted it until recently and worked it all out in excel before too - mine was a mess though :)

Hi reverend,

I don't profess to being the guru of Excel myself. The calculator took about ten minutes to create. You say yours was a mess though, I can take that as a compliment....... Cheers :)

B7 equals

=(((B4*1000000000)*8)/(B5*1000000)/60) then divide B7 by 60 to give hours

Last edited:
The thing with my spreadsheets is that I can understand them but no-one else can :D There will be lots here who will really appreciate this so thanks again :)

The thing with my spreadsheets is that I can understand them but no-one else can :D There will be lots here who will really appreciate this so thanks again :)

Hi again reverend,

I love that, "I can understand them but no-one else can."

I'm the same playing music, I can play any tune in the world, but the notes might not necessary be in the right order :)

John

Fantastic info for those looking for exact numbers, but for anyone looking for a rough ballpark figure:

My non GPS 0801 dash cam at 1920 x 1080 uses the following:

1 minute clip uses 100MB
3 minute clip uses 300MB

Fantastic info for those looking for exact numbers, but for anyone looking for a rough ballpark figure:

Hi richcan,

The Excel spreadsheet was never meant to be 'exact", and it does say that on the highlighted green area of the sheet.

Your 'rule of thumb' example is good enough for most occasions, it's personal choice I suppose.

Cheers,

John in the UK

Back