Calibrated G-Sensor Firmware 12 / 15 / 21Mbps bit-rate v1.12.03

Thanks Niko. I'll be testing the 21Mpbs bitrate later today and I just ordered a 64GB Samsung card.
Thanks all, the 21Mpbs bitrate makes a significant difference, very well done. Excellent quality now.

(watch @ 1080P)

Will there be an 18Mbps version if this firmware?

Very happy to see all these great firmware advances. 21 Mbps looks so good!

I just updated mine recently, the new 21Mbps is amazing :) I think I'll go back to 15Mbps though. I did notice the default G-Sensor was too sensitive kept going off so adjusted it to Low as well. (good to go)

Please explain what are the benefits of the lower numbers? (Why would someone prefer 15 Mbps or request 18 Mbps?) Less memory card space used? Any other reasons? Thanks.

Very happy to see all these great firmware advances. 21 Mbps looks so good!

Please explain what are the benefits of the lower numbers? (Why would someone prefer 15 Mbps or request 18 Mbps?) Less memory card space used? Any other reasons? Thanks.

Higher bitrate = higher quality. The trade off is less video can be recorded before the oldest clip is recycled. This could mean you might lose part of your long trip etc. The other thing is more stress on your SSD cards which have a limited lifespan. Larger files equals less life span of SD. I picked 15 as a happy middle. 12 is probably "good enough" too

I've now switched to the 15Mpbs calibrated g-sensor release. I prefer the 18M and 21M clarity, but the 18Mbps without the g-sensor calibration was annoying, it goes off on small bumps even when set to low. I'll stick it out with 15Mbps until we see what @Sungmoon Jang has in store for us in the next firmware release. No matter what version I run I have to say I couldn't be happier with this camera, it has far exceeded my expectations. I've now bought a second one for the Mrs car (I'm scared to watch the footage on that one).

Thanks all, the 21Mpbs bitrate makes a significant difference, very well done. Excellent quality now.

(watch @ 1080P)
I've just watched this video @1080 resolution. It was very much start/stop. Ie not smooth. despite not having to wait for it to be downloaded. Yet none of the other youtube 1080 videos I watch have this problem. Has this happened to other people?

thanks
david

ignore my last comment. I've just noticed that it's gone away, after restarting firefox. so the problem was on my pc . . .

I wanted to make it clear for everyone that v1.12.03 is the latest firmware as of today. (this thread)
I was told the lower number v1.12.03 is actually newer than v1.12.04 (not normal I know)
I'm sure future firmware updates will have a higher number and get back on track.

I would LOVE to see a MPH option released in the next firmware update!!!

Any updates on a new firmware update? A calibrated g-sensor 18Mbps is what I'm eager to see.

I would LOVE to see a MPH option released in the next firmware update!!!

MPH will be added in some stage, but no exact date ( month ) yet.

Any updates on a new firmware update? A calibrated g-sensor 18Mbps is what I'm eager to see.

Not yet known about 18mbps. I am testing few other new FW-s at the moment. When test is finished and all is OK, I will inform.

Could someone please summarize the pluses & minuses around increasing the Bit Rate? As I can recall someone in this forum stating that the differences are not necessarily noticable, but cannot find it. Depending on your monitor, or where the movie is watched, youtube, etc.
Do higher bit-rages make number plates easier to read? Or . . . ?

thanks
david

Could someone please summarize the pluses & minuses around increasing the Bit Rate? As I can recall someone in this forum stating that the differences are not necessarily noticable, but cannot find it. Depending on your monitor, or where the movie is watched, youtube, etc.

thanks
david
Optimally 12 or 15
I have here 12 (many yellow - it is necessary to reduce)

thanks
david

I can definitely see a difference in bit rate view raw files especially on 4k screen (Macbook Pro Retina), the differences aren't very noticeable on a standard monitor or on Youtube. There is a downside to higher bitrates, such as higher operating temp (not really a problem for the Pano) and increased storage. A 2 minute clip at 21Mbps is about 305MB. For me the best bit rate has been 18Mps, but there isn't a G-sensor calibrated 18Mbps yet. @Sungmoon Jang can shed some light on the upcoming changes, and hopefully more options in the g-sensor calibrated code. To answer your question though, yes, LPs are easier to read with higher bit rates, but not my much comparing 15-21Mbps. Here is a sample of the 15Mpbs at night, be sure to watch in 1080p.

I can definitely see a difference in bit rate view raw files especially on 4k screen (Macbook Pro Retina), the differences aren't very noticeable on a standard monitor or on Youtube. There is a downside to higher bitrates, such as higher operating temp (not really a problem for the Pano) and increased storage. A 2 minute clip at 21Mbps is about 305MB. For me the best bit rate has been 18Mps, but there isn't a G-sensor calibrated 18Mbps yet. @Sungmoon Jang can shed some light on the upcoming changes, and hopefully more options in the g-sensor calibrated code. To answer your question though, yes, LPs are easier to read with higher bit rates, but not my much comparing 15-21Mbps. Here is a sample of the 15Mpbs at night, be sure to watch in 1080p.

thanks,

I do not have & do not want a Retina display. Without a polarizing filter on it. When I got my mac mini, almost 18 months ago, it came with an Apple Thunderbolt display. The reflections were terrible, even at night. So I viewed it as faulty & returned it. Sure it's Dell replacement isn't as crisp & clear, BUT is reflection free. Which is very important to me, as there's less strain on my eyes.

I'm going to see what else is out there, just in case that will be OK.

david

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Charles II / S 5
singlespeed II / S 5
Gabolinche II / S 2
Back