Camera acts up when formatting

MarcoM

Reaction score
Country
Italy
I finally managed to find the time to install my SG9663DC in my car.
It worked fine during my summer vacations. Today I figured I had some time to upgrade the firmware. Downloaded the new version (non beta) for the web. Deleted all files in the memory card (came with the camera). Copied the bin file to memory card. Followed instructions for updating. The problem is that the camera does not seem to be formatting the sd. It keeps saying that the card needs to be formatted. I tell it to go ahead and delete everything and format. It cycles and again says that the card has to be formatted.
What am I doing wrong?

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk Pro

After you inserted memory card into PC to view files did you delete them or formatted the card inside PC before copying the new firmware .bin file?

Actually it was a MAC not a PC. Anyway I deleted the files and emptied the trash. I did not format the card in the Mac. The I copied the bin file and put it in the camera.

if you use a Mac it's important to format the card if you've had it in the computer, the camera can't deal with hidden Mac system files that can get left behind on the card

Aaaa the sneaky MAC bug, yes mac users need to format a memory card in the camera if it have been in a MAC computer.

But it also sound like Marco are doing that "It keeps saying that the card needs to be formatted. I tell it to go ahead and delete everything and format. It cycles and again says that the card has to be formatted "

Could it be he have loaded a wrong firmare ? maybe try again to flash the firmware, and maybe get the .bin file on the memory card without the MAC computer.

But it also sound like Marco are doing that "It keeps saying that the card needs to be formatted. I tell it to go ahead and delete everything and format. It cycles and again says that the card has to be formatted "

if you get the format prompt with a freshly formatted exFAT card that's normal, if you get it out of the blue it's usually a card error and the in camera formatting can't fix that, the camera can't distinguish the card error as a separate type of event but the prompt to format over and over is a giveaway that there's another issue

I cleaned the card in a mac. Copied to the card the .bin file form streeteguardian.info.
placed the card in the camera and plugged it to the power. The camera started, black screen for a while, than the screen turned on and a message came up asking to format the card. I okayed it, the camera did it thing then turned off and on and asked to format the card. If I say ok, it does the same thing and then asks again, if I say cancel the blue panel goes away and after a few seconds it comes back on asking to format the card. If I don't respond and leve it, it beeps a few times then the camera reboots.

I forgot to mention that the card is an excreta 128GB that cam with the camera from Hiniko

Just to clarify are you using cigarette lighter charger or special SG 3-wire hardwiring kit?

Sent from my VKY-L29 using Tapatalk

In the car I have been using the cigarette plug. Haven’t found the time to install the hardwiring yet. The firmware updating and formatting I am doing at home from a wall plug

Try to do FW update in car by using original SG supplied car charger.

Sent from my VKY-L29 using Tapatalk

Thanks Niko. That did it

I myself often use other brand chargers for powering cameras, but by doing that you also have to be aware that if something start to act weird, the first thing is to try with the original power supply and or wires.
I have not yet tried my DC on one of those chargers i have, but i recon that will have to be tried out some day.

Back