Camera not always automatically powering up

DashBoat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Viofo A129 & A139
Multiple times now, I've found the camera to be completely powered off, despite video footage showing it powered up that morning. I've verified power is present, and manually powering it up does work when I notice it's off. Is there a way of figuring out/recording if the camera shut down due to loss of power or some other environmental condition?

I drive a newer Tesla which now has a 16V Lithium battery, and Sentry mode is enabled (so the car stays awake all day). Vehicle is in a cool garage all day, so I don't think it's overheating.

But how do you power it ?
If you use some kind of in car USB port, that is probably the problem.

Multiple times now, I've found the camera to be completely powered off, despite video footage showing it powered up that morning. I've verified power is present, and manually powering it up does work when I notice it's off. Is there a way of figuring out/recording if the camera shut down due to loss of power or some other environmental condition?

I drive a newer Tesla which now has a 16V Lithium battery, and Sentry mode is enabled (so the car stays awake all day). Vehicle is in a cool garage all day, so I don't think it's overheating.
You don't mention how is it wired.
Hardwire kit?
If it's a HWK how does it get power? Direct from battery or another method?

Given the battery float is at 16v the hwk might think it's being powered by a 24V system which would mean the cut off voltage will be higher.

If it's via the HWK check the acc changes state eg off to on. This is what tells the dash cam to go into normal mode.

Yikes, I somehow deleted the section about power. But basically, it's just running from the cig lighter in the console, which should stay powered up as long as the car is in Sentry mode (worked with previous Tesla/Viofo setups). But even if the outlet powers down, what condition would prevent it from powering back up when power is restored?

If you use the cigarette plug then you need the G-sensor to do the hand over to / from parking guard.
I can not recall if the regular A 139 i tested had it, but others you have the option to select 2 or 3 wire for power, so 3 wire would be hard wire kit and 2 wire be regular power and then i assume the G-sensor will do the work.

Yikes, I somehow deleted the section about power. But basically, it's just running from the cig lighter in the console, which should stay powered up as long as the car is in Sentry mode (worked with previous Tesla/Viofo setups). But even if the outlet powers down, what condition would prevent it from powering back up when power is restored?

The main reason for that is when it restores power within a few secs of power being lost. The dashcam is still in powerdown mode, closing the last file being written, and doesn't acknowledge/realise that power has been restored

Not a Tesla issue but a real headache for stop/start vehicles if incorrectly wired

I'm going to try to get some better data here, and will follow up.

Last edited:
I'm going to try to get some better data here, and will follow up.
Unplug and the replug in the power converter eg cig lighter.
That should restart it fine. Power downs may be holding it in an unknown state for the dashcam electronics.

Long shot but:
It may require you to get to 8kph before it works.

Usually if the unit is off it would restart without a problem but i don't know about sentry mode perhaps it's feeding the Dashcam enough power to keep it in a parking mode state?
One the car goes faster than 8kph the Dashcam will come out of parking mode and resume normal recording.

It is a long shot but worth mentioning.

Cheers

Back