Viofo A139 Pro update with Starvis 2 rear camera

5.0ALM

Reaction score
Country
Australia
With the recent launch of the A229 Pro, now coming with a Starvis 2 based rear camera, can we expect an update to the A139 lineup?

ie; the current A139 Pro front camera, but with a Starvis 2 rear camera?
  • 4K Front with Sony STARVIS 2 IMX678 8MP Sensor
  • 2K Rear with Sony STARVIS 2 IMX675 5MP Sensor
This seems an obvious progression for 139 lineup, especially for those that do not want the 229's inbuilt screen with larger form factor.

With the recent launch of the A229 Pro, now coming with a Starvis 2 based rear camera, can we expect an update to the A139 lineup?

This seems an obvious progression for 139 lineup, especially for those that do not want the 229's inbuilt screen with larger form factor.
If my name were @Nigel I would say;
"No, due to the current A139 Pro's processor & bitrate limitations. The A229 Pro has an upgraded processor, and expanded bitrate capability."
But my name is not Nigel, so I can't say those things. lol
-Chuck

Saw something just now that they're using Starvis 2 IMX662 for rear sensor, not sure which upcoming cam though. Was expecting IMX675 but I could be mistaken.

The IMX662 is a new STARVIS 2 model that is 2.4MP.
So it's for the rumored 1080p telephoto remote camera for the A139 series.
Wonder how much better it will be than the IMX307 but Starvis 2 should up the game

Wonder how much better it will be than the IMX307 but Starvis 2 should up the game
See for yourself.
Here is a Low Light Sensitivity comparison with the;
A119 Mini ......IMX335 STARVIS 1
A119 Mini 2 ...IMX675 STARIVS 2
A139 Pro .......IMX678 STARVIS 2
WM1 .............IMX335 STARVIS 1

I have hundreds of test footage clips from every dash cam I've tested since 2019.
There on my second YouTube channel organized in separate playlists so they're easy to find.
All the videos are "UNLISTED" so the only way you can find them is through the playlist.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-09-18 8.03.10 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-18 8.03.10 PM.png
    471.9 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot 2023-09-18 8.03.29 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-18 8.03.29 PM.png
    479.7 KB · Views: 6
See for yourself.
Here is a Low Light Sensitivity comparison with the;
A119 Mini ......IMX335 STARVIS 1
A119 Mini 2 ...IMX675 STARIVS 2
A139 Pro .......IMX678 STARVIS 2
WM1 .............IMX335 STARVIS 1

I have hundreds of test footage clips from every dash cam I've tested since 2019.
There on my second YouTube channel organized in separate playlists so they're easy to find.
All the videos are "UNLISTED" so the only way you can find them is through the playlist.
Thank you quite the comparisons ! :)

Thank you quite the comparisons ! :)
When I first started testing dash cams it was hard to tell which ones were good based on image quality looking at test footage.
Now that I have a library of test footage built up of the top performers it's easy to quickly see a "bad" camera.

When I first started testing dash cams it was hard to tell which ones were good based on image quality looking at test footage.
Now that I have a library of test footage built up of the top performers it's easy to quickly see a "bad" camera.
Very much so, you're doing a great job and it keeps the dash cam nerd in me happy! :)

This seems an obvious progression for 139 lineup, especially for those that do not want the 229's inbuilt screen with larger form factor
The A229 screen does have a screen saver, so having the screen is not an issue; and although it is a little larger, for many people it is a better shape for mounting next to the car's sensor pod - don't rule it out just because of the screen, I almost never use the screen, it has wifi and App as well, and the screen is more or less hidden behind my mirror.

The A139 Pro is a recent release, it is this years best dashcam (According to all the best reviews!), so it is not time for an update yet; would be possible, but I wouldn't suggest you wait for it, and if it was updated then I would expect it to stay as 1080 rear to maintain its price bracket.

The A139 standard version is almost Viofo's oldest current model, so an update to that seems likely next year, with Starvis 2 and HDR all round, but presumably still 2K + FHD + FHD... maybe + FHD? A139 was really intended as a taxi-cam, hence having an IR cabin camera and an external microphone input, so I guess the specification will remain aimed at taxi use.

I think the oldest current Viofo model is the A119 V3, so maybe we should expect an update to that first? I wouldn't expect a Pro model though, it is the original that needs updating.

The A229 screen does have a screen saver, so having the screen is not an issue; and although it is a little larger, for many people it is a better shape for mounting next to the car's sensor pod - don't rule it out just because of the screen, I almost never use the screen, it has wifi and App as well, and the screen is more or less hidden behind my mirror.

The A139 Pro is a recent release, it is this years best dashcam (According to all the best reviews!), so it is not time for an update yet; would be possible, but I wouldn't suggest you wait for it, and if it was updated then I would expect it to stay as 1080 rear to maintain its price bracket.

The A139 standard version is almost Viofo's oldest current model, so an update to that seems likely next year, with Starvis 2 and HDR all round, but presumably still 2K + FHD + FHD... maybe + FHD? A139 was really intended as a taxi-cam, hence having an IR cabin camera and an external microphone input, so I guess the specification will remain aimed at taxi use.

I think the oldest current Viofo model is the A119 V3, so maybe we should expect an update to that first? I wouldn't expect a Pro model though, it is the original that needs updating.
A119 v4 with Starvis 2 would absolutely slay,.but Mini 2 might have taken over with it having so many features it might have made the v4? irrelevant :(

The IMX662 is a new STARVIS 2 model that is 2.4MP.
So it's for the rumored 1080p telephoto remote camera for the A139 series.

About 3x better, then add HDR on top!

IMX307 is an odd sensor, works nicely, but has never performed as well as expected for a Starvis 1 sensor, and never beat the much older IMX291. IMX662 is looking good.

A119 v4 with Starvis 2 would absolutely slay,.but Mini 2 might have taken over with it having so many features it might have made the v4? irrelevant :(
Then the V4 will have to beat the competition with even better image quality and new features!
Although the V3 is currently winning on price, so maybe the new features are unnecessary if the new version can maintain the current price?

Then the V4 will have to beat the competition with even better image quality and new features!
Although the V3 is currently winning on price, so maybe the new features are unnecessary if the new version can maintain the current price?
Not much competition to be honest ;). But true you have a point, if it just stays where it is then they're onto a winner already. Even though my v3 is in the cupboard at the moment, I'm holding onto it cos it's a damn good dash cam, and Viofo added so much features to it and three years worth of firmware updates.

I'm a very happy camper !

Not much competition to be honest ;).
It is having to compete with the Mini 2, which is getting a lot of positive reviews. The prices are a bit different though, so I guess the V3 is still doing quite well and a V4 at similar price would do even better?

IMX307 is an odd sensor, works nicely, but has never performed as well as expected for a Starvis 1 sensor, and never beat the much older IMX291
What do you mean IMX307 is odd?
I just got done comparing the IR Interior cameras of the A139 Pro & XXXX PRO 3-CH and the IMX307 looks fantastic.
Stand by for PM.

Back