Camera pays its way

kps

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Dash Cam
F500LHD (front), Innovv C2 (rear)
I've been away from this forum for a while… this is not exactly how I'd have planned to return:

I'm looking at getting a rear camera as well now, probably something compact like an Innovv C1 that will fit beside my brake light and still be covered by the rear wiper.

So whats the back story on this? The guy hit the pile of snow and lost control? I was blinded by the sun.

So whats the back story on this? The guy hit the pile of snow and lost control? I was blinded by the sun.

This is the location on a clear summer day, from Google Maps:

u.jpg

The car ahead moved into the turn lane on the right (like the black car in the Google Maps photo) but instead of taking the onramp just continued straight ahead into the snowbank at the divider. I speculate he didn't notice he was in the turn lane.

Last edited:
I'm looking at getting a rear camera as well now, probably something compact like an Innovv C1 that will fit beside my brake light and still be covered by the rear wiper.

Note that Innovv use proprietary cables. The dashcam cable is 2 metres in length.

Last edited:
Makes you wonder how many accidents are caused by the sun when it's low in the sky like that. I've had a few close calls myself, including nearly mowing down a pedestrian.

Note that Innovv use proprietary cables. The dashcam cable is 2 metres in length.

Yes; whatever camera I get, I am planning to put the 5V supply in the brake light housing beside it, since it'd be harder to thread anything with a connector on it down to the hatch. I'm still working through forum threads looking for showstoppers (for Mobius, it was the reset problem; my car does cut accessory power while running the starter).

Makes you wonder how many accidents are caused by the sun when it's low in the sky like that. I've had a few close calls myself, including nearly mowing down a pedestrian.

It may have been a factor, assuming the other driver would have noticed his lane under perfect conditions. I don't recall it being as bad as it looks on video, though — the camera doesn't have the benefit of an adjustable visor.

Yes; whatever camera I get, I am planning to put the 5V supply in the brake light housing beside it, since it'd be harder to thread anything with a connector on it down to the hatch. I'm still working through forum threads looking for showstoppers (for Mobius, it was the reset problem; my car does cut accessory power while running the starter).
Just to be clear, most if not all cars cut power when running the starter; It's a momentary loss. The only problem is if that loss of power is 5 secs or more. That momentary lose of power won't affect the start up of the camera. Problem came with diesel owners who had to wait for a while at ACC to warm the glow plugs.

Last edited:
Problem came with diesel owners who had to wait at ACC to warm the glow plugs.

Doesn't affect all diesel owners, or at least not me. No problems with a Mini Cooper D.

I had that problem with my Chrysler Voyager diesel. The camera would power up when first switching on the ignition, then power down when I cranked the starter motor. So I bought one of these little 10 second timers off eBay and it solved that problem.

Relay Timer.JPG

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291024689546

I need that delay unit for my radar detector. Going to order me one.

I recall that @sludgeguts uses a timer delay with his G1W. Not sure if it's the same as shown in Post #9 above.

Just to be clear, most if not all cars cut power when running the starter; It's a momentary loss. The only problem is if that loss of power is 5 secs or more.
What I read in the Unreliable Ignition On Recording thread is different:
you must have stable power after ~5 seconds after you initially supply power. If, for any reason, you cut the power between the ~5 sec. and ~6 sec. mark the camera will turn off.
That's just a matter of timing luck, and using a timer to move the issue from the 5 second to the 15 second mark doesn't really solve the problem. I suppose it could be powered from something other than the accessory circuit, but that's extra work for no particularly compelling benefit.

Last edited by a moderator:
using a timer to move the issue from the 5 second to the 15 second mark doesn't really solve the problem.
The timer isn't 'moving' the problem, it is re-moving the problem. If the ignition power is switched On/Off erratically during engine start up, the timer will just keep re-setting its counter. It will only supply power to the camera when 10 seconds have expired from when the timer started its countdown.

My original delay timer was bought off the web from a guy in USA. At the time, I couldn't find anything suitable on ebay.
Bought a second one a year or so ago which looks even smaller than the one above. A small black box, 1.5" x 1" x 0.75" (4 x 2.6 x 2cm) which has 4 wires already soldered onto the board. I was intending to incorporate this into the extension socket I use on my bus - but it's always live - so I had to incorporate a switch rather than a timer.

(And what Alan said (above) is true)

The timer isn't 'moving' the problem, it is re-moving the problem.
How so? Apply power, interrupt power 15 seconds later. Camera has been on for 5 seconds, and freezes. What am I missing?

What am I missing?
I think you might be missing the possibility that you have a faulty camera. It shouldn't be freezing at all.

I think you might be missing the possibility that you have a faulty camera. It shouldn't be freezing at all.
I don't have a faulty camera. I'm shopping, and trying to make sure I don't buy a faulty camera. For ‘freeze’ read ‘fail to start’, as discussed in the Unreliable Ignition On Recording thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
How about adding a startup delay to the mobius?
Its not ideal, but an option for powering up the cam 20 seconds after reciving power might work as a work around. Better to start late then not start at all aye.

From page 2 of the "Unreliable Ignition On Recording" thread.

How about adding a startup delay to the mobius?
Doesn't help. The problem is what happens after power is applied to the camera, not before. A delay can't guarantee stable power 5 seconds in the future.

You obviously are experiencing a different problem to me. The 10 second timer overcame the problem I was experiencing.

Back