Can dash-cams be used in Taxi cabs? Please advise.

Mikk36 said:
Hillbilly said:
IE a car radio can flatten one far enough overnight so that the car wont start.

So can an interior light left on.
A car radio typically uses many times more power too, especially if your play it loud.
I wouldn't be so sure about interior light, although headlights might do that if your battery is at low level, since they're 55 W each, your typical dashcam is under 5 W.
Your typical small car battery is at least 480 Wh (40 Ah @ 12 V), meaning it could drive 480 W for an hour or 5 W for 96 hours.
If your car has a decent engine in it, it will surely be over 60 Ah, meaning at least 720 Wh of power at full storage.

Edit:
WhiteEightBall said:
What's suppose to be said here;

Buy the protection,

because I know you don't have a $400 USD car battery. Though, personally, I would love to have one of those super high density batteries, just can't give myself the excuse to pay that much...
And how much would such $400 USD car battery hold power?
For example, I bought the biggest capacity Varta battery available for my car for around 75-80 EUR and that's 63 Ah.

You only need to drop a battery to 10 volts and it wont start your car. Especially a diesel

I know a radio uses a lot when playing but it also consumes power when just on with no volume.

How do I know I wired one up with the permanent power and acc power transposed and every morning the "NEW" battery wouldnt start the car Only figured out what was wrong after replacing battery and it still did it.

javr said:
since he's a taxi driver - aren't there special "taxicams", being special in recording inside of the car, too ?

There is a special "taxicam" inside all cabs in Ontario. However, that "taxicam" is only pointed at the backseats and its footage can only be obtained as part of an investigation if a criminal offense occurred inside the cab. So they won't really help me in this regard.

I bit the bullet and ordered the DVR-207. Hopefully it lives up to expectations. From the test videos I've seen, the quality is good enough for me. The 1-year warranty is also good to have from that ebay seller estore.

Back