Can I power a A119s via 12v USB charger?

RCGA

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Can I power a A119s dashcam via a 12v USB charger.

Looking at buying a Anker PowerDrive 2 12v USB charger that delivered 2.4amps per USB

I'm using one from Anker with the A119S, no issues. Do use the supplied cable though or you may encounter banding or interference.

Okay, I plan on buying a 15ft cable.

There's no cable included in the package. I need at least 13ft anyway.

Why would a 3rd party cable impact anything?

There's no cable included in the package. I need at least 13ft anyway.

Why would a 3rd party cable impact anything?

Don't know the technicalities but I did face problems with both 10 ft and 15 ft 3rd party cables. The cable supplied by VIOFO works without any issues.

How come you didn't get the cable? AFAIK it's a part of the package.

If you need an aftermarket cable, go with "Monoprice"- their cables are very good with good prices, and you'll need that kind of quality @15' to avoid excessive voltage drop causing malfunctions.

Phil

I have an Anker 2 port USB charger that works fine for me but some chargers have "smart features" that can be problematic with certain cameras. With the Anker, it could be the "PowerIQ" and "Voltage Boost" features in the charger. In one case with one of my power banks that has a "smart port" I've needed to cut the data wires in a Monoprice cable to get it to work properly otherwise cameras think they are connected to a computer as a volume and will go into standby or mass storage mode instead of recording.

So, the message is that the after market cable might manifest the problem but the power supply may be the actual source of the issue.

Last edited:
IMO Power IQ isn't the culprit, it's the quick charge ports on some of these adapters. Before switching to the Anker, I remember connecting one of the cams to the orange QC port with the previous Aukey charger. The charger and the camera were both uncomfortably hot after 20-30 minutes of operation.

@SawMaster The A119S doesn't like Monoprice cables for some reason, both the 10 ft and 15 ft cable exhibited the same issues. Whereas both the Mobius cameras and the SG9665GC remain totally unaffected with the exact same cables.

Though tested briefly, the included cable and charger also exhibited the same amount of in-audio buzz/hiss as the Aukey and Anker adapters with the supplied cable.

Hmm, seems like there's no winning. I'm having a really hard time finding a hardwire kit that has a long enough USB cord (I need ~7ft before the converter).

This USB powered off a 12v doesn't seem like the reliability is there.

Hmm, seems like there's no winning. I'm having a really hard time finding a hardwire kit that has a long enough USB cord (I need ~7ft before the converter).

This USB powered off a 12v doesn't seem like the reliability is there.

If you can't find a hardwire kit of suitable length, hardwire a 12V female socket and use the included power supply with a shorter cable.

Back