Can I use black battery terminal as Ground ?

Johnraiders

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Hardwiring, one is using a fuse tap, then other needs to goto Ground, can’t find suitable ground, can I connect to black battery terminal ?

Thanks

John

Yes you can go all the way out to the battery and get ground there is need be, but i would assume a ground point would be closer.
For my expansion of 12 V sockets in the back of my car i get the ground from one of the bolts holding my rear seat in place, i would assume a bolt holding your front seat in place would be more easy than going thry firewall and all the way to the battery.

I would think it pretty rare to not have a bolt somewhere nearby that can be used as a ground. Easiest way to check is to grab a multimeter and stick the red probe into a fuse which you know is live and then press the black probe against nearby bolts until you get a voltage reading. Then you know you can use that bolt as a ground and connect the wire to it securely.

Ok thanks, using cellink battery so it’s all in the back of car. Currently running from 12v in arm rest.
Previous BMW had 12v in boot so easy.

John

Fuse box is in the boot and battery is next door, tried meter on bits of metal but nothing solid. So I’ll goto Black terminal on battery

You should get a good ground on a seat mounting bolt.

Back