Can image sensors be "colour-blind"?

...It can all get quite confusing sometimes. I have a background in high end color photographic printing and I remember when I was learning the process you had to think backwards when doing color corrections. You would go around saying things, "Minus Blue Equals Yellow" over and over again,...

I hear you. Photography and painting are a couple of hobbies I dabble in - sometimes additive and sometimes subtractive. :(

...to make matters even more confusing, this process used CMY colored light focused on color printing paper via film negatives so the whole idea of it being a subtractive pigment process got turned on its head. The pigments were in the chemistry of the paper but you manipulated them with colored light via dichroic filtration!

Stop it!!! You're making my head hurt. o_O

My head hurts too. Some of the terms being used sound like a medical description of a complex surgery :p

My own color vision being what it is, I always ask others what they see and go with that; it will then be good enough for me.

Phil

My head hurts too. Some of the terms being used sound like a medical description of a complex surgery :p...
I understand the words and concept - it's just when one starts thinking about inverting a process that is based on negative subtraction my ears start ringing, my head spins and my stomach gets all queasy. :confused::(

Stop it!!! You're making my head hurt. o_O

My head hurts too.

It's not really that hard and the concepts are really all right there in those two RGB/CMYK color model charts I posted.

The original chromogenic printing process I was describing is just like any other field where you need the training, knowledge and experience. For the most part, now that everything is digital it's all becoming obsolete anyway.

Then again, the whole field of digital "color management", now that everything is done on computers can really make you pull your hair out! If you work in the field of photography, product package design and print advertising, that's where it really gets interesting as you now need to convert the RGB images from your cameras into the CMYK color space for the printing press. To do so properly and accurately requires a knowledge of calibration, color gamuts, device and ICC profiles, proofing, and a number of other factors. Every device has it's own color space and needs to work in concert and perfect harmony with everything else to give the required and expected results. This is what makes my head hurt, even though I've been doing it for years.

Last edited:
Actually, thinking back to the original post in this thread by @Module 79L, aside from whatever specific reason the Dazzne P2 is producing such poor color correction, the three different images from each camera, each with a vastly different color balance is a perfect illustration of the concept I describe above about each digital device having its own color space and why it can be so vexing to achieve accurate color in the devices themselves and beyond. So, if all three images were sent to a 4 color offset print shop for reproduction, a determination would need to be made during the pre-press phase about what is correct or intended and how to proceed in order to achieve the desired results. For this reason, many manufacturers provide a reference profile for their device (camera, monitor, printer, etc.) that can accompany files from these devices in their journey through the reproduction process.

Last edited:
I am glad to see Techmoan update the color mystery, this should be related to the sensor and firmware(RGB color adjust).
Before Techmoan confirmed that, I did some checking with engineer, I know who produced P2, they told me it should be P2 showed wrong color.

Techoman got the version without Wi-Fi, but I know their update version with Wi-Fi use different lens, of course cheaper.
While we working on Git1, I also tested the P2 earlier lens version, it is not bad.
This happened on some company, they try to save cost to replace the lens or sensor. Like AMK5000 use Panosonic lens before, then release a new "updated" version called 5000s using OV4689.
So then the retail price will be lower than before, and sell more.

Our stupid way for normal testing is that we do comparison with many different lens and other cameras.
While working on Git1, we mounted Git1, Mobius, Hero4, SJ4000/SJ5000, XiaoYi on bike, do a lot of testing everyday. Also have two "big" PC monitors to check the difference.

Back