Can someone do a comprehensive post about the A118's functions?

dirtymoney

Reaction score
Country
United States
The manual I got with mine was just a diagram of what the buttons were, what they did, etc etc... but some settings/functions are never explained.

Things like "sequence" , "quick review", "EV", ISO, "capture mode" and the various numbered timers under the capture mode function.

some of the stuff you mention is related to photo mode which I'm guessing many people would never use anyway

I, too, am most interested in a manual a little more substantial than what came with it. Like how do you change fields, etc., while going through the Menu. I downloaded the English version where someone tried to translate the pigeon-English to real English, but it didn't add any more content.
The video of Techman the guy went so fast I couldn't tell what he was pressing...it's easy when you know how.
PLEASE...there has to be a serious manual out there somewhere!!

Hey John/Pier28!
That was a GREAT video, thanks a million. It's hell to be stupid but I couldn't easter-egg my way through the config setups, your video nailed it clearly!

Last edited:
Just installed mine and am most pleased.
One suggestion I might pass along...I was concerned that I might not get the camera horizontal on
the windshield. I removed the mounting plate, removed the protective 3M backing from adhesive and used a 12" level to position the plate then pressed it into position against the windshield.
Would probably help if one ensured the vehicle was level first... ;->

Just installed mine and am most pleased.
One suggestion I might pass along...I was concerned that I might not get the camera horizontal on
the windshield. I removed the mounting plate, removed the protective 3M backing from adhesive and used a 12" level to position the plate then pressed it into position against the windshield.
Would probably help if one ensured the vehicle was level first... ;->

i was lucky, in my wife's car, i was able to just pick a certain row of black dots and align the camera's mount plate to that. just have to make sure you REALLY clean the dots first!

Two questions: 1) With the GPS connected, somehow the speed was changed to being displayed as km/h rather than m/h. How do I change that?
2) I was thinking that motion sensing would work to let me keep the camera powered up and not have it record constantly but just now when I drove at night I only got recording of 30 seconds or so.

Pity. It looks like the power outlets in my Lincoln MKX are always powered but I can look for a power tap on the fuse block or header that is only on when the accessories are powered.

Can somebody clue me in how to set the auto-off and motion detection, and whether you have to have a power outlet that's on the ignition circuit?

What is the point of the auto-off setting if you're killing the power with the ignition? [Edit: I just heard John explain that on his video above. Auto-off if not recording.]

My testing of the motion detection so far shows that it won't work for keeping the camera on while the vehicle is in motion.

Every power outlet in my Lincoln is always on, even the USB ports, so I'd have to tape into the fuse block to find one that switches off with the engine.

Isn't the point that you can have the camera be on when driving and still turn on and capture nearby motion when the car is parked?
What are the ideal option settings to do that?

This particular unit is not very good at motion detection especially with low light. Any DashCam with a battery is not good for 24/7 use it will wear out. It's best to use a DashCam with a super capacitor and proper motion detection for parking mode such as the panorama.

Last edited:
Back