cant connect to DCT

kamkar

Reaction score
Country
Denmark
Dash Cam
10 years, many dashcams
At least not on my PC, its been this way for a couple of days.
Started out with site loading extremely slowly, and now i can not get on at all.
As i type now on my phone, the computer have been trying to connect for 10 minutes, and i don't even see 1 line that looks like DCT in my browser.

have tried several browsers with same result.
all other internet sites load in normal speed, given my sometimes flaky connection.

@kamkar1 has raised an interesting point because there has been several occasions recently when I couldn't connect to DCT, yet had no problem with any other site.

@kamkar1 has raised an interesting point because there has been several occasions recently when I couldn't connect to DCT, yet had no problem with any other site.

there was a problem about a week ago that was server related, if there's a forum related issue anytime rather than just a hosting issue have a look if the main page at www.dashcamtalk.com is up

Strange that it is acting slow. Site has been up this week from the server logs. It went down on July 27 for a few hours but should be ok since then. Let me know if you are still experiencing the problem.

i have decided to fight the problem with a format c: tomorrow.
still can't get on, page does not time out, it just sit there as you just pressed F5.
don't get why it should be my computer, but i will give format c: a try as it have been a while anyway.
getting on from sisters computer was no problem last week, and tried my friends computer hours ago and there was no problem there either.

tomorrow will be formatting and soldering for me, that is if the postman come with my parcel from the US.

still the same here, my ISP have elevated my problem to 1 level above regular support.
S they will call me tomorrow to try to resolve the problem.
i can ping the site just fine, but still not connect to it.
if i leave browser it does connect, but only after a hour or so, and then trying to get to one of the subforums result in another 1 hour wait.

open a command prompt and run a tracert to the site, you'll generally see where it's falling over

eg

Code:
Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Users\oem-user>tracert www.dashcamtalk.com

Tracing route to dashcamtalk.com [67.20.49.11]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  fritz.box [192.168.178.1]
  2    17 ms    16 ms    17 ms  (my static ip, have edited this bit out)
  3    16 ms    16 ms    16 ms  10.1.21.49
  4    25 ms    24 ms    20 ms  203-174-185-145.syd.static-ipl.aapt.com.au [203.174.185.145]
  5    17 ms    18 ms    19 ms  po41.sglebbrdr11.aapt.net.au [202.10.14.198]
  6   201 ms   213 ms   202 ms  xe-9-0-3-460.edge1.LosAngeles6.Level3.net [4.26.0.101]
  7   232 ms   233 ms   232 ms  vlan70.csw2.LosAngeles1.Level3.net [4.69.144.126]
  8   232 ms   236 ms   232 ms  ae-72-72.ebr2.LosAngeles1.Level3.net [4.69.137.21]
  9   233 ms   233 ms   233 ms  ae-3-3.ebr3.Dallas1.Level3.net [4.69.132.78]
10   239 ms   232 ms   232 ms  ae-83-83.csw3.Dallas1.Level3.net [4.69.151.157]
11     *        *        *     Request timed out.
12   233 ms   233 ms   234 ms  COLO4-DALLA.ear1.Dallas1.Level3.net [8.9.232.74]
13   233 ms   232 ms   232 ms  72.249.128.110
14   233 ms   233 ms   233 ms  dal01hybrid03.vpsdatacenter.com [67.20.56.14]
15   234 ms   233 ms   233 ms  vps.dashcamtalk.com [67.20.49.11]

Trace complete.

C:\Users\oem-user>

don't worry about the request timeouts like number 11 here, that is just a router that's set to not respond to tracerts, look for massive spike in latency at one of the hops or a failure at some point

have not tried tracert, ping give me an average of 170 ms.

17 hubs #3 timed out, 147 ms on#17

my isp ramble on about thee DNS server, but that cant take this long ( 4 days )

:oops:damm its been while since i ran my last tracert, so long i fogot all about that command

Have you tried Open DNS? I had a lot of timeout issues in Mexico and solved them by switching my DNS server on my router to Open DNS (http://www.opendns.com)

The second benefit, for me, was being able to filter the content in the house. All this is free and beat my low quality ISP server

There are some advantages to using a different DNS server than the one from your ISP such as improved connections to certain domains but there can be drawbacks. And if you are concerned with privacy issues it is best to avoid Google's DNS servers as much as possible. Personally, I use OpenDNS and while they too record your connection history they have a different business model that makes your personal browsing habits less valuable to them, whereas Google monetizes your browsing history and creates an ongoing personal profile of you. It does this even if you are not a registered Google user by following your IP address and other parameters. (Privacy is an increasingly important question and concern for all of us on the internet but is really another subject perhaps to be discussed in a different thread.)

The problem, with using OpenDNS, Google DNS or any other USA based servers can manifest if you are located in another country (depending on the country).

The key reason they can be a problem is that they muck up your computer’s ability to find the closest Akamai server to you. Akamai is the worldwide system which places massive file servers inside ISP data centers worldwide. So when you download a big file like a Windows or Mac OSX update or a TV show or movie from iTunes, or access certain large web sites like Facebook, Twitter, etc., it downloads from an Akamai server that’s very close to you and therefore feeds down your line as fast as your connection can handle. The primary selling point of Akamai is that it avoids server overload when everyone tries to download or access something at once but a secondary selling point is that you’re downloading a file from a local server inside your ISP or at least in your own country so that the trip between the file server and you is as short/fast as possible.

So, if you use a US-based DNS server like OpenDNS your closest Akamai cache will instead (often, but not always) be chosen as being in the US and you’ll get lousy download speeds as your file trickles over the international link. I've read this is especially a problem for people in Australia and New Zealand. I don't know about Denmark or Europe.

So @kamkar1 may well benefit from switching to another DNS server like OpenDNS but be aware that there could be unexpected separate problems with file and content download speeds even if the DNS connections happen faster and more reliably.

BTW, everyone should be aware that the Akamai Privacy Policy states that Akamai is involved in the "collection, use or disclosure of personally identifiable information", including IP addresses, so that a great deal of what we download or access is being tracked by them too.

Last edited:
Should have clarified but I only meant try the google DNS as a test, that's all I've ever used it for, wouldn't use it full time

have tried the Google dns, still the same.
Might change to my cable ISP even though they don't deserve a decent man like me as a customer.
The way things are now is unsuitable, i can't get my daily DCT fix.
Don't count my cellphone in as the little screen on it is BS for all but making a phone call.

Try using an anonymous proxy service and see if you can access

That's an interesting idea. I've been experimenting for a month or so now with EPIC Browser put together by some guys in India. It is still not completely polished but nevertheless it is an interesting browser and worthwhile if you don't like being stalked all over the internet by thousands of entities. It is a port of Chromium designed for privacy and automatically blocks ads and trackers. Its main feature is a built in anonymous proxy. Available for Mac or Windows it is free and can be found at: https://www.epicbrowser.com/

@kamkar1 - This would be a free and very convenient way to see if jokiin's idea about a proxy service works.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
O Off Topic 6
Street Guardian USA Off Topic 38
Back