cant connect to DCT

I'm using Firefox with Ghostery, Self destruct cookies and AdBlock add ons. It seem to destroy and tracers and tracking cookies. I'm tired of researching something and then every site I visit has ads for that item.

@kamkar1 my ISP in Mexico was crap, the internet crashed every few minutes. I got fed up and got a good deal on a good dual band high speed router and have had zero drops or disconnects. Now my slow 5Mbps seems fast. BTW I couldn't t change my ISP because there was only one.

The value of the EPIC browser is primarily the fact it hides your IP address via the built in proxy tunnel but the anti tracking and privacy features (mostly) seem to work fairly well. My experience with it has been more or less experimental.

Like you, I primarily use Firefox (31) with a series of add-ons like Ghostery, AdBlock Plus and others. Unfortunately, in today's world this is not enough if you really wish to protect your privacy. Just because you are not seeing more targeted adds in your browsing does not mean that you are no longer being tracked on the internet, followed from site to site and having (multiple) profiles of you created that can come back to effect you later on, even off the internet. (jobs interviews, school admissions, insurance rates, junk mail targeting, etc., as some typical (apparently documented) examples/possibilities).

Another plug-in I would highly recommend is BetterPrivacy This will eliminate (and keep an ongoing cumulative count of ) LSOs (local stored objects) also known as Flash-Cookies or SuperCookies. This is a potentially tenacious type of cookie not everyone is aware of and it is not clear whether they are handled by the Self-Destructing Cookies add on. These flash based objects get stored in a different folder/directory on your computer than "regular"cookies.

Recently, the Electronic Frontier Foundation introduced Privacy Badger which I am experimenting with but it is only just now in Beta. The version I have at the moment is still alpha. Anyway, it is different than AdBlock, Ghostery or Disconnect and worth having a look at. According to EFF ....... "Privacy Badger is a browser add-on that stops advertisers and other third-party trackers from secretly tracking where you go and what pages you look at on the web. If an advertiser seems to be tracking you across multiple websites without your permission, Privacy Badger automatically blocks that advertiser from loading any more content in your browser. To the advertiser, it's like you suddenly disappeared."

The other important issue related to privacy is security and for both, one of the most effective things you can use is the NoScript Security Suite which will prevent Javascript, Java and other exectutables from running without your permission. This plug-in requires proactive decisions to be made with many websites and so it is not for everyone but it can be toggled on and off on a trusted site. I consider this one of the most important security and privacy tools you can have and I encourage people to at least explore it and consider it. Well known security experts like Steve Gibson and Leo Laporte of Security Now recommend it.

Even with ALL of the above you are still being tracked on the internet. Blocking cookies, scripts, trackers etc. can be rendered essentially ineffective by a newer more insidious scheme called Browser Fingerprinting and Device Fingerprinting which is accomplished in several ways. I encourage anyone who is not familiar with Browser Fingerprinting to learn more about this. Start with this article in PC World magazine titled "Browser Fingerprints: A Big Privacy Threat" and have a look at the other links I've provided here. If your privacy is of concern to you it will be worth your while. Then go to EFF's Panopticlick website and test your browser for some astonishing results. There are some methods being developed to counter this invasive technique but they are still not quite there yet. Here is a link to a PDF of EFF's paper on Browser Uniqueness for anyone who wishes to understand this in further detail.

To make matters worse, there is yet another invasive fingerprinting technique which does not require cookies called Canvas Fingerprinting which uses the HTML5 canvas element. This is currently deployed on more than 5000 web sites and more everyday. The most active culprit in deploying this technique is the AddThis social bookmarking people. Fortunately, this one can be defeated more easily with AdBlock, Abine's DoNotTrackMe and NoScript. Read more about Canvas Fingerprinting at PC World Magazine HERE.

Finally, it is a good idea to instruct Firefox to delete ALL data when you quit the browser. If you are not already familiar with this, go to preferences and click "Clear History When Firefox closes", then go to "Clear Recent History" in the drop down History menu and make sure ALL the boxes are checked, especially "Offline Data" and "Cache" and set the time range to "Everything". Then be sure to quit your browser from time to time or just clear your history from time to time while browsing if you don't need to stay logged into a site.

P.S. Living in a rural area I too have only one choice for an ISP, the phone company. It is a miracle we ever got broadband at all. For years they promised to bring cable TV up the mountain road I live on but they stopped a half a mile from my house. Then they brought the cable up from the other direction on my road and also stopped well before they got to my house. Apparently, if the population density is not high enough it's not worth the money to the provider to bring the cable too far into rural areas around here. I live between 1/3 and 1/2 miles away from the next house in either direction. At the moment I can only get 3Mbps DSL but I have now learned that may be changing soon.

Last edited:
Big business over there, to a extend its allso that way here, but again we have the omnipresent goverment witch to me do more harm than good.

The fiber the electrical companies put down is only in rural areas, there is hardly any in the 3 largest cities here. to my knowlege only one of the electrical companies have a internet branch actually making mony now, and thats just BECUZ they are in a geografical / population sweetspot ( mittle of jutland and leaning east )

If i remember right there is 11 players on the Danish fiber marked, all electrical companies, and then TDC witch for some strange reason was allowed to buy one of the firms up making them a even larger monopoly. ( hope TDC are not allowed to buy more fiber companies )

Dunno why the fiber companies are not allowed to get near the big cities where most live, Copenhagen for example are beeing ripped apart these years as they are putting a metro below it.
And i seriously doubt they put in fiber now that they are digging holes and making a mess.

I can undestand the American problem, mony talk and BS walk, and you are a huge country and in places pretty thin populated.
As are we atleast along the jutland west coast and in the north where depopulation speed up as i type, its so bad these days than the bank wont even lend you mony to buy a house in the thin populated areas of Denmark.

Out politicans have just said that by 2020 100 mbit DL should be possible in most of Denmark, and thats easy to do considering our moderate size and the fiber already in the ground many places.

Based on some old figures i found i estimate 40 % of Danes have the option to get fiber today.
Map of things back in 2011.
Bredb_ndsd_kningJ11_603347a.jpg

Well suprice suprice, now it allso Work in internet Sexplorer Again, guess my ISP finally kicked the right server :D

Well suprice suprice, now it allso Work in internet Sexplorer Again, guess my ISP finally kicked the right server :D

Don't get too ****y! They're just teasing you.......waiting for you to get comfortable and think everything is OK before they yank the plug again. :p
That's what my ISP does with my intermittent connection drop-outs.

It is, cuz i cant get on some sites, or at least not fleabay :rolleyes:

Dunno if it was that way with fleabay before, but it sure dont Work now ( using Explorer )

Allso for some strange reason i am no longer able to see youtube videos in 1080 p, in Explorer i can do 720 p but using the epic browser i can only do 360p ?????

Have you tried Firefox? You probably shouldn't be using Explorer anyway. Even the Department of Homeland Security here in the US says not to use Explorer.
Can you access eBay with the EPIC browser you downloaded the other day?

yep fleabay is fine with epic, it allso load on IE but just as slow as this site did on IE.

Allready have the fox installed again, but like with IE its not working, at least not in its default form, will have to look at some plug ins for it.

Have been watching the browser war for years, and to me it seem a lot up and Down with who is best or safest.

But to be honest most of my life IE is the one i have used, and before now i never had any issues with it, and i am hard pressed to remember times where i have had to use the backup browser ( firefox )

As i have been in contact with support at my ISP, they sendt me a mail to fill in a form regarding my satisfaction. ( i hate when they do that )
Needless to say they got lowest evaluation as my problem is still there.

Epic have helped me a lot, but if my youtube issue persist i think i will have to revert back to my cable provider even though they suck, but there was never a issue with my internet while i was there.

But i hope the current ISP get things fixed as i would hate to be a custemer at a comcast like Company.
And yousee cable is a subdivision of TDC, but at least yousee havent stolen from me yet, unlike TDC witch i had to take to Court to get back the mony they stole from me.

Did you drop your MTU yet?

No havent gotten around to that, right now i am pulling hair out as it allso seem like i have misplaced a small fortune of gear for a hobby on mine.

Its like every one have the key for my Apartment, and as soon as i am out the door my stuff is up for grabs :confused: even small simple things are hard to find, witch is strange as even after 3 years most of my stuff is still in moving boxes.

Offcourse no one have the key for my apartment, i got new Locks in both doores witch isent somthing Danes normally do when moving into a new Apartment.
Just prove that i am not like most ppl ;)

I just cant catch a break these days, even jobs i apply for witch i would rule supreme go to some one else :(

And the PPL above me have just gotten a baby, and it seem to go into scream mode every time i fall asleep, and it dosent matter if i go to bed around 2 in the morning or i wait untill 8 in the morning.

No havent gotten around to that, right now i am pulling hair out as it allso seem like i have misplaced a small fortune of gear for a hobby on mine.

Its like every one have the key for my Apartment, and as soon as i am out the door my stuff is up for grabs :confused: even small simple things are hard to find, witch is strange as even after 3 years most of my stuff is still in moving boxes.

Offcourse no one have the key for my apartment, i got new Locks in both doores witch isent somthing Danes normally do when moving into a new Apartment.
Just prove that i am not like most ppl ;)

I just cant catch a break these days, even jobs i apply for witch i would rule supreme go to some one else :(

And the PPL above me have just gotten a baby, and it seem to go into scream mode every time i fall asleep, and it dosent matter if i go to bed around 2 in the morning or i wait untill 8 in the morning.

Hang in there man!

Give it a few months and the baby will hopefully start to sleep better - they're just hungry :)

Hope everything works out ok for you dude :)

Will do. i might be many things but i am not a quitter, allso i have found my custom fitted earplugs :D

And actually the baby wasent that bad this morning, or it might just have been me beeing extra tiered at the right time as my sleep schedule seem to move 8 houres every day.

Seem like its only every 3-4 days i am tiered enuff to fall asleep on the right side of midnight.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
O Off Topic 6
Street Guardian USA Off Topic 38
Back