Can't shut down my new A129 pro duo.

968mint

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
New to this forum, which was helpful deciding which dashcam to buy.

Finally I went for the pro duo, installed it with de AK3 wiring kit. Camera works more or less as expected (maybe was expecting to much in picture quality).
One major issue is that I cannot shut down the camera with the ignition on. If I push the menu button long (at least four seconds) the unit shuts down, screen turns off, leds go off, but almost immidiately the camera boots again and goes in driving mode. In parking mode however, I can turn off the camera by the menu button (and stays off). Starting the engine (more or less, its a full hybrid) or acc on the camera start again.
I assume that the autostart function with turning acc on cannot be turned off in the menu. ( I would prefer that is an option too)

According to the manual I should be able to turn it off. Viofo in the Netherlands replied we think the unit turn off with the on off switch, but maybe You need put in an extra on off switch????

Please youre experiences, if it possible to turn the camera off with acc on (driving mode)

Yes, I confirm I can shut down my A129 Pro on HK3 kit with ACC ON just fine.

Yes, I confirm I can shut down my A129 Pro on HK3 kit with ACC ON just fine.

mine restarts a lot when I try that too, but most of the time it works. As with every other question asked on this board, try another SD card. Since the damn thing turns on every time you insert one (which is a bitch because you need shironda nails to do it and I fumble).

I use a new samsung evo + 256 gb card. Tried two other card this morning, same problem. (Cut my nails yesterday so understand the Shironda comment). Cam shuts down, almost immidiately rec led goes on and cam starts again.

mine restarts a lot when I try that too, but most of the time it works. As with every other question asked on this board, try another SD card. Since the damn thing turns on every time you insert one (which is a bitch because you need shironda nails to do it and I fumble).
Are you saying that when the camera is off and you insert a memory card, the camera starts up without pressing any button?

Are you saying that when the camera is off and you insert a memory card, the camera starts up without pressing any button?
I would say that that is correct behaviour?

It is something I requested recently, so if it is a problem then maybe I should retract my request!

When you remove a card it always shuts down,
normally after you insert a new card, you want it to start recording, it is really annoying if you swap a card because you want to keep something safe, but then you find that it didn't record the rest of the journey because it was off. You can of course turn it back on manually after inserting the card, but it is quite easy to forget.

I would say that that is correct behaviour?

It is something I requested recently, so if it is a problem then maybe I should retract my request!

When you remove a card it always shuts down,
normally after you insert a new card, you want it to start recording, it is really annoying if you swap a card because you want to keep something safe, but then you find that it didn't record the rest of the journey because it was off. You can of course turn it back on manually after inserting the card, but it is quite easy to forget.
Maybe I'm not understanding correctly, but I've never had a camera automatically turn on when I insert a memory card. If I'm swapping cards, I always have the camera off, so I know I need to turn it back on if I'm about to go on a drive.

Maybe I'm not understanding correctly, but I've never had a camera automatically turn on when I insert a memory card. If I'm swapping cards, I always have the camera off, so I know I need to turn it back on if I'm about to go on a drive.
It is a good idea to turn it off before removing the card, but not necessary, all you need to do is to stop recording or the last file will be corrupt.
If you don't turn it off then it turns itself off, unlike most devices.

When you insert the card, why shouldn't it start recording? It knows the new card has been inserted, and even without "shironda nails", it still does the right thing. Having to manually start recording after inserting the card might be something you know that you need to do, but you can still forget to do it, especially after the fight to insert it if your nails are inadequate and what you really want to do is get moving, and there are interruptions from children etc.
If you don't want it recording then you can always turn it off again, but the default should be for safety.

It is a good idea to turn it off before removing the card, but not necessary, all you need to do is to stop recording or the last file will be corrupt.
If you don't turn it off then it turns itself off, unlike most devices.

When you insert the card, why shouldn't it start recording? It knows the new card has been inserted, and even without "shironda nails", it still does the right thing. Having to manually start recording after inserting the card might be something you know that you need to do, but you can still forget to do it, especially after the fight to insert it if your nails are inadequate and what you really want to do is get moving, and there are interruptions from children etc.
If you don't want it recording then you can always turn it off again, but the default should be for safety.
Are you talking from when the camera is physically off or just not recording? I'm referring to when the camera is physically off. If the camera is off, I don't see any need for the camera to turn on when you insert a card. I would actually find that very annoying. When I'm swapping cards, I generally do it after I'm done driving and want the camera to shut down. Everyone does things there own way, but that would not be a benefit for me personally.

Are you talking from when the camera is physically off or just not recording? I'm referring to when the camera is physically off. If the camera is off, I don't see any need for the camera to turn on when you insert a card. I would actually find that very annoying. When I'm swapping cards, I generally do it after I'm done driving and want the camera to shut down. Everyone does things there own way, but that would not be a benefit for me personally.
If it is physically off with no power then it can't start up, but if it has shutdown due to a card being removed and replaced then in both normal recording and in parking mode, you want it to end up recording.

In your case, it seems that you are not using parking mode, in which case it should not restart unless the ignition is still on, and it should shut down when you turn the ignition off.

If it is physically off with no power then it can't start up, but if it has shutdown due to a card being removed and replaced then in both normal recording and in parking mode, you want it to end up recording.

In your case, it seems that you are not using parking mode, in which case it should not restart unless the ignition is still on, and it should shut down when you turn the ignition off.
I do use parking mode, but shut the camera down when at home parked in a garage. If I'm removing the card, I'm always turning off the camera (still plugged in), so I never expect the camera to turn on and start recording automatically when I put the card back in.

I do use parking mode, but shut the camera down when at home parked in a garage. If I'm removing the card, I'm always turning off the camera (still plugged in), so I never expect the camera to turn on and start recording automatically when I put the card back in.
I do that too, but I don't put the new card back in until the start of the next journey, at which point I want it to start recording. Obviously there are a lot of ways that it can be used, and I think for most of them it is better to restart. Of course it could be an option in the setup!

A lot of comments about start recording when you put in a new sd card.
No problem but back on topic:)

That was: cannot turn the camera off with ignition on. (It turns off very briefly but goes on right away and starts recording).

Is this normal behavior. If yes I probably have to remove te hk3 wiring and use the sigarette adapter and unplug the thing to shut it down. (Does not sound very sophisticated to me)

On the sd card removing issue. Didnt test that. Commons sense says me shut down or at least stop recording when removing an sd card. And I expect that I would have to turn it on after inserting an new sd card. (For me now that only works with ignition off, because I cant shut down the camera with ignition on.

The argument, its designed to start recording by itself with a new sd card because you might forget it doesnt make sense to me. You have just been fidling with the card remembering to start the cam is not that hard. I assume no one us changing the sd card while driving (would provide some nice locked video's)

If using cigarette adapter or if your HK3 is not wired for Park mode (an option, can be done), then when you shut off your vehicle, power is gone to camera. I am assuming, that there is enough power ( Capacitor) for unit to sense loss of power (from both lines on HK3, if wired that way) and does a shut down, like closing files. So, no corruption of data should occur.

If your HK3 is wired for park mode, I am assuming, it senses loss of power from accessory source, but still see power from the battery side, does it thing, and initiates a timer before going into park mode. So, no corruption of data should occur.

I would hope, if you push in on the memory card to eject, it would sense that and do a file closing routine. VIOFO programmer would need to verify this exist?

Perhaps a master switch, like holding two buttons would tell the camera to shut down and ignore park mode, until activated again with two button setup. Just an idea.

I am wired for park mode and I was able to shut it down, but I was working on the truck, doing lots of start & off and each time the camera would fire up and do it routine as expected.

The forums concerns are valid from what I have experienced.

I would hope, if you push in on the memory card to eject, it would sense that and do a file closing routine. VIOFO programmer would need to verify this exist?
No, not possible with microSD cards. You must stop recording first, either by pressing the record button or long pressing the menu button to shut the camera down.

A lot of comments about start recording when you put in a new sd card.
No problem but back on topic:)

That was: cannot turn the camera off with ignition on. (It turns off very briefly but goes on right away and starts recording).

Is this normal behavior. If yes I probably have to remove te hk3 wiring and use the sigarette adapter and unplug the thing to shut it down. (Does not sound very sophisticated to me)

On the sd card removing issue. Didnt test that. Commons sense says me shut down or at least stop recording when removing an sd card. And I expect that I would have to turn it on after inserting an new sd card. (For me now that only works with ignition off, because I cant shut down the camera with ignition on.

The argument, its designed to start recording by itself with a new sd card because you might forget it doesnt make sense to me. You have just been fidling with the card remembering to start the cam is not that hard. I assume no one us changing the sd card while driving (would provide some nice locked video's)
What happens if you turn parking mode off in the settings? Can you manually turn off the camera while it's recording then?

No, not possible with microSD cards. You must stop recording first, either by pressing the record button or long pressing the menu button to shut the camera down.
It a feature that can be made, it would need some sort of sensor and programming support for it. I don't think it will be found in units that sell in this price range. VIOFO would need to confirm it does or does not exist. I'm betting it doesn't.

Reason why I said, "I would hope" not saying it does exist....

If wired for park mode, but turning it off, would mean it won't record when accessory power is off. But unit would be in stand by mode, so it would draw little or hardly none power. That what I am expecting it would be....

If wired for park mode, but turning it off, would mean it won't record when accessory power is off. But unit would be in stand by mode, so it would draw little or hardly none power. That what I am expecting it would be....
Camera would turn off.

Keep in mind, there is power from the battery line (When wired for park mode) and when you start up the vehicle, it will start recording. Camera off, can also mean draw little or no power. Same answer, said differently.

Back