Capitol Reef National Park Scenic Drive

hanstj

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Insta360 One R 1-Inch Edition, Sony HDR-PJ540
As if the main highway shown in the previous episode is not "scenic" enough... :)

Argh too erly not yet 1080p on youtube, will return to enjoy later :cool:

What time of day was this? Not very many cars on the road. Having all those road names is helpful, I can search on the map easily for when I do this type of trip. You like to provide a lot of data, outside temperature at the destination would also be cool.

Sweet.

Another reason why a man would need many months to investigate the US and the ppl there, to hell with the interstates, ill do backroads any day.

once i get my miata running again, the first video i will shoot with it will probably not be a race, but some of the backroads around here. starting near SH 249 and Spring-Cypress Rd, go north on Hufsmith-Kohrville, which becomes FM 2978, which then becomes Honea-Egypt Rd. Then turn left onto 2854, right onto Fm 149 from Montgomery, TX. Follow that through the Sam Houston National Forest, through Andersen, TX then on to FM 3090 to Carlos, TX and back down to College Station, TX. My favorite "local" twisties. The Houston Miata Club calls this the Andersen Loop and we'll occasionally go on a club drive.

for those unfamiliar with the "FM" designation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farm-to-market_road

What time of day was this? Not very many cars on the road. Having all those road names is helpful, I can search on the map easily for when I do this type of trip. You like to provide a lot of data, outside temperature at the destination would also be cool.

I believe it was early afternoon, most probably around 1-2pm. There are always less visitors during the winter, which is why very few cars were seen on the road. Good idea about the temperature. I'll see what I can do for my future video series.

Sweet.

Another reason why a man would need many months to investigate the US and the ppl there, to hell with the interstates, ill do backroads any day.

These backroads are usually where the best gems are found :)

Not sure I've been to Capitol Reef, but used to hit Moab pretty often. I'm guessing it's less 'touristy' there?
Some of the areas I used to love in SW Colorado have built up too much. :(

Not sure I've been to Capitol Reef, but used to hit Moab pretty often. I'm guessing it's less 'touristy' there?
Some of the areas I used to love in SW Colorado have built up too much. :(

Yes, Capitol Reel National Park sees fewer visitors compared to Arches. I am not too sure about Canyonlands though.

Sweet.

I was thinking exactly this on a road trip a few years ago. We were driving up Interstate 95 through the Carolinas and into Virginia... I kept seeing signs and bridges for the Blue Ridge Parkway. I SOOOO would have loved to drive that, even in our lethargic 4-cyl honda accord with automatic transmission, than to be cruising at 75mph on the interstate. sure, it would have taken twice as long to get to our destination, but it would have been a lot nicer than staring at billboards and 18-wheelers.

The BRP is pretty good, yes, takes twice as long. Do not be tempted to speed on it!
(It has some nice twisties)
I think the limit is 45 mph. You'll end up with annoying National Park Service Police tickets.

I forget the other road it connects to, Skyline drive? Think it reaches MD.

Cherohala is nice, but it's on the Southern end. Nice if you want to visit the 'Dragon', also. You can take parkways from TN/GA up to PA I think. May end in VA/MD.

That reminds me of a certain sibling who couldn't understand why he couldn't keep up with me on twisty mountain roads while I was on a $4000 dual sport, and he was on a $14000 Bmw plastic tourer thing.
(except he didn't have one of those annoying accents.)

Back