Car Launches Into Air After Hitting Rolling Tire on Interstate

Even when the truck does it's first lane change you can see something is not right with that wheel, yet it changes lane again!

That tire had it out for that vehicle, it came back for a second bite before coming to a rest.
CHECK YOUR LUG NUTS!

Nightmare :( I hope the people in the black car survived without serious injuries. And I hope that whoever recorded the video provided copies to the black car's driver's insurance company and to the police.

Of the many scary things about that accident is that even if the black car had a good front-and-rear dashcam, it might not have been able to record the cause of the accident. The wheel started out far enough to the right of the black car that it might have been out of shot unless the front camera had a very wide angle lens, and even as it moved in front of the car, it might have been obscured from view by the car's bonnet (hood). Plus, it rolled into the path of that car so quickly (I count 12 frames from the time it detached from the white pickup to the time of impact - roughly half a second) that even if the black car had a dashcam and even if that camera did capture the incoming wheel, it probably wouldn't be very clear what it was.

Even the driver of the black car might well not have seen it, let alone have had time to understand what was happening, and without the footage from the car behind may have had no idea what caused the accident. Good luck trying to explain that to your insurance company! "Hi, my car is totaled, I broke multiple bones in the impact so it's going to be months before I can work again, and I need to claim on my policy. I was definitely not at fault, but I can't explain what happened. As far as I can tell, the car just spontaneously launched 15ft into the air and came down onto its roof. Yeah, I know it sounds nuts, but it's what happened. I literally don't know how."

This shows why people need 4+ channel dashcams.

It also shows why, even if you're a decent driver, driving is inherently risky. Stay safe, guys.

I've seen videos where cars "climb" another vehicles when both vehicles tires come into contact, but this video makes those videos look like child's play.

Back