CDV300X... Updated A118?

From what's been discussed on the forum and what I recall (I might go find that comment later).. @Bubbah highlighted that the internal components were the same on the CDV-300X to which the reply came that the firmware was different.
Anyway- it looks like SG have pulled the CDV-300X off their page for some reason. I recall them looking into reliability issues with the Manufacturer in China. I guess I'll be running the gauntlet with this one ;) :p

Well I have to agree with you somewhat. Say if SG9665GPS is differed from CDV300X only in firmware, packaging and support, but SG9665GPS costs $300 and CDV300X costs $150, I don't think those extra (of SG9665GPS) is worth $150. $50 the most I would pay for the difference.

Well for SG, they would need to pay GST (or do they? I think Businesses are exempt... Can't recall), whatever costs they need to run their business, pay for the other things that they order/customise. I get that but yea, I still feel double the cost isn't exactly realistic.

Last edited:
Well I have to agree with you somewhat. Say if SG9665GPS is differed from CDV300X only in firmware, packaging and support, but SG9665GPS costs $300 and CDV300X costs $150, I don't think those extra (of SG9665GPS) is worth $150. $50 the most I would pay for the difference.

not sure where you got your numbers from but they are not correct, maybe you're mixing models up

To me it looks like the SG9665GPS (A$249.00) is related to the A118/B40 with a GPS (~A$105 on AliExpress) and the SG9665GC (A$289.00) is related to the A118-C (~A$96 at GearBest), but comes with a GPS logger.

There may have been another model based on the CDV300X that they removed?

Hmm. Looks like it is going to be called the SG7LA50G:

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/sg9665gps-vs-cdv300x.9598/

The A118C is different hardware to the SG9665GC - it's the Sony Exmor in there same as the latest Panorama and DOD LS460 cameras. The A118C is the older Aptina AR0330.

And as the DOD LS460W videos are the most watched out of all of mine, and this is better in that it won't lose focus in heat due to the metal lens holder, I'd say this should sell seriously well indeed :)

The A118C is different hardware to the SG9665GC - it's the Sony Exmor in there same as the latest Panorama and DOD LS460 cameras. The A118C is the older Aptina AR0330.

correct, even though the main outer shell is the same, everything else is different, not just the different sensor, new lens, lens base, lens housing, mainboard etc are all unique to this model

prices quoted also are AUD RRP pricing as sold in retail outlets, in the USA for example the costs will be cheaper, different business model and cost structure, in New Zealand the prices are higher, again different cost structure

not comparing apples with apples here

Just wondering if anyone else had the same problem.

I don't know why the Dashcam ALWAYS asks to calibrate the G-Sensor everytime it powers up. Maybe i'm just not reading the first prompt correctly and that it would be to re-calibrate on startup.

BTW it saves all other settings though.

I just wonder why they put a so small capacity 120mAh battery into a so big housing. (compared to A118)

A capacitor would also have been great :D

I'm guessing you've got a CDV300 on the way @chris-s seeing as you're digging all these threads up :p

Nope.
But interested with :D

Back