Cellink B 12V plug (charging the Cellink) is running hot

Tim Watts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I just installed my Cellink B today. I tried it at the 7.5A setting as my Hyundai Tucson has 12V aux power sockets rated at 180W, so 15A. I know the instructions say 5A on a plug, but I assumed that was to cope with the worst car - and the wire gauge was the same for both plug and hardwire cable (16AWG).

15 minute test and the plug tip was too hot to touch - I reckon around 60-70C - right at the working limit for PVC cable insulation.

So I switched it down to 5A and let the plug cool.

15 minute test and it was very very warm on the tip. I would have expected barely warm at 5A.

The plug was fully inserted and the car is new so this is not a case of a corroded socket.

I've taken it out of circuit until I can try a longer run - but that makes me feel a bit nervous.

Do you guys have any comments on that?

Cheers,

Tim

Last edited:
Maybe the power rating is for peak loads, not for continuous use.

I've always thought the design of cigar lighter plugs is awful. The tip connector is typically rounded, and comes into contact with something that is flat. That means there is a tiny point of contact. All the current goes through that, it is a recipe for failure. Even under the pressure of a spring it's bound to generate heat.

Maybe the power rating is for peak loads, not for continuous use.

I've always thought the design of cigar lighter plugs is awful. The tip connector is typically rounded, and comes into contact with something that is flat. That means there is a tiny point of contact. All the current goes through that, it is a recipe for failure. Even under the pressure of a spring it's bound to generate heat.

Oh I agree totally. The motorbike 12V socket is a much better design.

I'm sure it's *probably* OK at 5A as Cellink have a decent reputation (and I was trying to be clever setting it at 7.5A) - but I'd like some longer tests whilst I have the car and not the wife, which means Sunday...

OK - been under test for a few days - on the 5A setting, the input plug runs warm but never hot, even after a 30 minute drive. So I guess that's OK.

The Cellink B overall does the job. It's big and bulky and not cheap, but I like the fact it's LiFePO (safer than LiIon) and has lots of over-everything protection.

After the warrant on the car runs out in 5 years, I will go and tap the fusebox and wire it in properly.

Last edited:
The 7A setting is enough to melt/damage the male cigarette adapter in our experience. No damage to the actual car or the battery but definitely not recommended to use it on 7A

Back