Charging the camera in the house for first time.

kendb

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
All this is new to me.
Is it normal for the screen to be on whilst charging the battery in the house?
Also, I intend using it from my cigarette socket which is not permanently live. Should I set Auto power to off?

Hello,

Thank you for your message.
It's completely normal for the screen to be on when charging- the dashcam will automatically turn on and record whenever power is supplied to the camera. If you want to turn the camera off when charging, please use the power button on the side of the camera.
We would recommend a switch live fuse when using the cigarette lighter cable (exactly what you have) so that's perfect. You won't need to enable Auto Power Off, the camera will automatically turn off just after the car is turned off.

If there's anything else that I can do to help, please don't hesitate to get in contact.

Kind regards,
Millie
Nextbase Technical Support

Thanks for the speedy reply.
The battery, after full charge, lasts for 2 minutes. Is this normal?
Also, I can't get the app to show recordings.

Depending on your wiring strategy the battery is primarily there to close the final file after the dashcam loses power when you park.

But 2 minutes doesn't sound right to me and maybe a damaged battery due to the unit having been on the shop shelf for a long time thus fully discharging the battery that will never fully recover.

Thanks for that. I bought two only last week (the second as a Xmas present for my grandson) direct from Nextbase so will get in touch with them.

Thanks for that. I bought two only last week (the second as a Xmas present for my grandson) direct from Nextbase so will get in touch with them.
I'd recommend performing a battery test:

1. Unplug the Rear Dash Cam (if applicable) and remove the Dash Cam from it's windscreen mount.
2. Take the Dash Cam indoors and remove the SD card.
3. Using the USB cable provided in the box, plug it into a mains power supply (2 Amp recommended), make sure to plug the cable into the body of the camera, not through the car mount.
4. Go into the Dash Cam menu and make sure that Parking Mode is turned off (if applicable), if Parking Mode is enabled, this will affect the test.
5. Leave the camera on charge for 4 hours (or more) with the camera turned on. When fully charged, the blue charging LED should turn off.
6. Unplug the power cable, the camera should shut down.
7. Turn the Dash Cam on (using only battery power) and time how long it takes for the battery to run out and the camera to shut down.

Please note:
After performing this test, your Dash Cam will need to charged again, before reinstalling in your car.

If the battery only lasts for 2 minutes after the above test, please give us a call on 02920 866 429 we'll be able to help you further,

Kind regards,
Millie

Thank you again for the prompt reply. Having followed your instructions just need to clarify one point....that is when i switch on the camera after charging to do the test do I also need to press the record button? I appreciate it won't actually record as the SD card is still absent but not sure if this would affect the test. I did warn you that this is all totally new to me! :D

You won't need to press the record button as it wont be press-able without the SD card inserted :)

Kind regards,
Millie

Back